2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

from The Athletic

Even in an offense that mainly used running backs on the ground, Dillon flashed his capability as a pass protector and pass catcher, corralling 13 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown after catching only eight passes for 41 yards and a touchdown in his first two seasons combined.

At the combine, he ran every route and caught every pass. His 247-pound frame chugged for an impressive 4.53-second 40-yard dash, while his 41-inch vertical jump and 131-inch broad jump both ranked first among running backs. Such an athletic repertoire became too good for the Packers to bypass.

“This is not your everyday back, and they’re gonna realize that very quickly,” White said. “This guy’s a freak. He’s a genetic freak.”

“AJ’s a big, bruising back with very, very good speed,” Gutekunst said. “And I think in our offense, there’s probably a little bit more room for his creativity than what he did at Boston College and a lot more in the passing game. As we went through the process in the spring, his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield was something that, again, he didn’t do a lot of that at Boston College, but it was something that attracted us.”

USATSI_13639014-scaled-e1590543843259-12

Zukauskas played offensive line for the Browns from 2001-04 and watched the likes of former Titans All-Pro running back Eddie George and former Steelers running back and Pro Football Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis up close. When asked for player comparisons to Dillon, those are the two names he mentions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

His calf in that picture is scary.

I'm not saying he'll ever be as good, and he runs alot higher, lacks his lower pad level, but just physically, Dillon looks similar to Earl Campbell, who was about the same weight and about an inch taller than Dillon. (I said similar, not identical. As big as Dillon's thighs are, Campbell's were slightly bigger.) Dillon should watch alot of Earl Campbell tape.

Edited by DWhitehurst

6 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I'm not saying he'll ever be as good, and he runs alot higher, lacks his lower pad level, but just physically, Dillon looks similar to Earl Campbell, who was about the same weight and about an inch taller than Dillon. (I said similar, not identical. As big as Dillon's thighs are, Campbell's were slightly bigger.) Dillon should watch alot of Earl Campbell tape.

Read a comparison to Riggins, watched some highlights, and I can see it.

It's going to be fascinating watching how the Packer's run game this year with Jones and Dillon progresses.  There's some doom and gloom coming from numerous media knobs how this year's offense will be worse.  Would be thrilled to see Rodgers show that Love has to wait at  least a couple years, the young wr's really do step up, the te's contribute with the ol staying healthy.  It's time to put up or shut up and show more in MLF's 2nd year offense. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Literally everything you saw out of him tonight is why I was jumping up and down when we picked him. He showed wiggle, he showed he can get skinny when he needs to, he showed that he just might have feet as good as Eddy Lacy's were before he ate himself out of the league, he showed power when need be, he showed incredible patience when approaching the LOS, and he showed good vision as well.

Hot take: this is our back of the future...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Literally everything you saw out of him tonight is why I was jumping up and down when we picked him. He showed wiggle, he showed he can get skinny when he needs to, he showed that he just might have feet as good as Eddy Lacy's were before he ate himself out of the league, he showed power when need be, he showed incredible patience when approaching the LOS, and he showed good vision as well.

Hot take: this is our back of the future...

this is the GB RB for the next 3 years.   

• Like 1