2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

Boy Dillion. Wow...

Impressed is an understatement. He was really getting big runs almost every play. Good speed at 250.  He runs a lot harder than Henry too.

Henry is the biggest Finesse back I have ever seen. 

Had a catch where it looked pretty smooth. Not awkward.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This makes the Jones/Williams decisions even easier. 

Not really. I still think it will come down to money.

-Jones- I still want back since he is a solid receiver and has big play ability. With that said, I wouldn’t give him more than like 7.5 a year

-J Will- I’d only bring back if he’s cheap (like 2m)  and Jones leaves. Dillon plays the smash roll better (J Will is a career 4.0 ypc guy). There is value with will in the passing game though.

Definitely could be drafting a Rb in the middle rounds again 

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

Not really. I still think it will come down to money.

-Jones- I still want back since he is a solid receiver and has big play ability. With that said, I wouldn’t give him more than like 7.5 a year

-J Will- I’d only bring back if he’s cheap (like 2m)  and Jones leaves. Dillon plays the smash roll better (J Will is a career 4.0 ypc guy). There is value with will in the passing game though.

Definitely could be drafting a Rb in the middle rounds again 

Dillon plays the Jones role of being a better pure runner and Williams plays the role of the utility back. 

What does Jones do that makes him 4x better than Williams? Williams has been at 4.3 and 4.2 YPC the last two years. He's got a higher YPC than Jones on 2nd and 3rd down. Jones doesn't play on 3rd or 4th down when Williams is healthy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dillon plays the Jones role of being a better pure runner and Williams plays the role of the utility back. 

What does Jones do that makes him 4x better than Williams? Williams has been at 4.3 and 4.2 YPC the last two years. He's got a higher YPC than Jones on 2nd and 3rd down. Jones doesn't play on 3rd or 4th down when Williams is healthy. 

Dillon is better between the tackles and finishing. Jones is still night and day way more explosive though.

As far as J Will vs Jones, Jones is averaging 1.4 YPC more (1.2 YPC behind the same Olines for 4 years).... That is enormous. That is the difference of probably several popped runs a year. J Will is getting TFLed on the Jones play that went for 59 yards yesterday (granted it should have only been 15 yards, still though that run was dead and that was a special play). J Will isn't getting split out wide and catching a 67 yard TD like AJ did against KC last year. That is legit high end stuff.... Will is solid in short yardage and good in pass protection... that is it.

• Like 1

I can’t stop being amazed at that short TD. The DL goes flying. Really want to see the end zone view.

At the beginning of the year LaFleur said he wanted three running backs. If we don’t re-sign either Jones or Williams I wouldn’t be surprised to see another early pick at RB next season. 

Yes Aaron Jones is a nice player, but at the end of the day he probably isn't worth the type of contract he can get on the open market, no matter if you have a replacement or not. Dillon just showed he could be that replacement, so it really does make the decision easier. Sorry, Aaron Jones, but I hope you do great things somewhere else.

• Like 1

Jones is really really good, but I'd take Dillon & Williams at a fraction of his 2021 salary every time.  This is purely a money/cap thing so no need to get into what Jones can do that the others can't or vice versa.  If we could sign Williams to something like a 4 year $10M - $12M deal, I would be all over it and would wish Jones the very best.  Draft another RB with speed and receiving ability that we can develop and even put on the field at the same time as Dillon or Williams.  Dillon, Williams, 3rd-5th round pick is a solid backfield if Dillon can play more like he did last night.

16 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Dillon is better between the tackles and finishing. Jones is still night and day way more explosive though.

As far as J Will vs Jones, Jones is averaging 1.4 YPC more (1.2 YPC behind the same Olines for 4 years).... That is enormous. That is the difference of probably several popped runs a year. J Will is getting TFLed on the Jones play that went for 59 yards yesterday (granted it should have only been 15 yards, still though that run was dead and that was a special play). J Will isn't getting split out wide and catching a 67 yard TD like AJ did against KC last year. That is legit high end stuff.... Will is solid in short yardage and good in pass protection... that is it.

For what Williams does we can definitely get by with and still have a really explosive offense. And it's not like Williams can't run routes down the field and make plays in the passing game. 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/reach-jamaal-williams-extends-for-29-yard-sideline-catch

Obviously Jones is more versatile and more explosive, but we shouldn't fall into the trap of paying Jones big time money when we can have cheaper still effective backs like Williams and just drafting Dillon in the 2nd round. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd