2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was pretty crushed when Mims went off the board a few picks before us in round two.  I had a feeling he would have been the pick if he was there, but who knows?

I agree. I think he was the pick. But that is the way the board falls sometimes. I feel Dillon will be a good addition just not the sexy pick everyone wanted. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:09 PM, Joe said:

@vegas492 and @ThatJerkDave. Do we really need him to have the kind of feet Lacy and Dayne had? Of course you would love that with a big back, but Dillon strikes me as a guy who can shoulder the load as a change-of-pace back to Jones. He's the guy you put late in the game when you want to grind out the clock. He's not going to fumble the ball and his vision is well above average. After reading the scouting reports on him again, I firmly think he'll be a much better pro than as a college player as long as he stays healthy.

Nope.  Not needed.  But, those big guys with light feet are awfully hard to come by.  It is what made them great in college and in the pros to some extent.

Dillon just doesn't have those light feet.

He can be very effective, as I think his vision is good, balance is very good and arm tackles aren't bringing him down.

I agree as an "end of game" back, but I also think he's the "beginning of the game" back.  If he can wear the D down just a little, it makes Jones every more effective as his speed will catch some guys off guard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I agree. I think he was the pick. But that is the way the board falls sometimes. I feel Dillon will be a good addition just not the sexy pick everyone wanted. 

Gute admitted that he tried to trade up for a reciever in the 2nd round. If Mims was his guy, he would have been able to easily trade up in the 50s.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Gute admitted that he tried to trade up for a reciever in the 2nd round. If Mims was his guy, he would have been able to easily trade up in the 50s.

If so, Gute didn't think Mims was worth the extra pick to go get him.  Guess he figured the rb was a better option than any wr left. 

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I know he attempted to trade up or at least made some phone calls about it. I don’t think those calls were to get Mims though. I think Mims was the pick if he fell to Dillon’s spot. Mims wasn’t valued enough to warrant a move up in Gute’s estimation any way. Had he made it to 62 then I think he would be in GB 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I agree as an "end of game" back, but I also think he's the "beginning of the game" back.  If he can wear the D down just a little, it makes Jones every more effective as his speed will catch some guys off guard.

Agreed, I'm looking at that Week 4 match-up against Atlanta in particular. The knock on Atlanta's D is that their ILB's are too small. I'm looking at their IDL and it's rather lean as well. I could see us using a lot of I-formation off the bat in that game with Dillon landing enough body blows to allow for Ervin and Jones to FEAST on that defense with their speed. Their DB unit's hurting as well, which is why they selected AJ Terrell, but I'm looking at the rest of that squad and none of their other CB's impress me.

Edited by Joe

On 5/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, VonKarman said:

Gute might not have found a trade partner when he didn't have a lot of capital to offer.  I wonder if Gute didn't want to give up both his 3rd and 4th pick in one draft?

26 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Gute might not have found a trade partner when he didn't have a lot of capital to offer.  I wonder if Gute didn't want to give up both his 3rd and 4th pick in one draft?

Losing that 4th rounder to move up for Love really hurt Gute when it came to having the flexibility to deal up.  I'm digging Dillon though .. he's a beast, and if things work out he will really help us seal games in the 4th quarter.  A big, fast man with fresh legs will be the last thing defenses want to see coming at them.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

This is the biggest reason I like this pick and I'm not joking.  As soon as we drafted him I thought of this.  The more I thought of it the more I liked it, and I know beyond a shadow of doubt that every.  single.  time.  he has a good play, bad play, mediocre play, any play at all, I am going to shout, "Dillon!" in my best Arnold Schwarzneggar impression. 

• Like 1

If he fumbles, "Dillon!  CIA got you pushing too many pencils or what?"

If he drops a pass, "Dillon!  You are one ugly mother****er." 

If he doesn't get the first down on third and short, "Dillon!  What is this ****ing tie business?"

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Losing that 4th rounder to move up for Love really hurt Gute when it came to having the flexibility to deal up.  I'm digging Dillon though .. he's a beast, and if things work out he will really help us seal games in the 4th quarter.  A big, fast man with fresh legs will be the last thing defenses want to see coming at them.

True.

But....Jones is gonna kill in the fourth quarter if Dillon has been pounding on the defense.

Telling yah, this selection to me sets Jones up for an even bigger year.  Maybe fewer carries early, but more later when he's fresh and the defense is a little gassed.

Like, I don't expect much more out of Dillon as a rookie runner than what J. Williams is gonna give us.  Maybe a click better with vision.  But with those two physical runners, Jones is gonna have even more explosive plays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That was the thing I hated the most about that trade-up. We've historically been very successful in the 4th as opposed to the 3rd. I would've rather seen us deal our 3rd to move up in exchange for another 4th and pick 26. 

I think a lot of people forget that Dillon ran a 4.5 flat at the Combine FWIW.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

That was the thing I hated the most about that trade-up. We've historically been very successful in the 4th as opposed to the 3rd. I would've rather seen us deal our 3rd to move up in exchange for another 4th and pick 26

I think a lot of people forget that Dillon ran a 4.5 flat at the Combine FWIW.

This triggered me tbh

• Like 3