2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

On 5/18/2020 at 5:43 AM, deathstar said:

Why?

Because that’s how he wants to fan.

The WR Gute got was a 26 year old Funchess. But people wanted a shiny new WR that has the hopes of being more than what Funchess has shown so far.

Thats all it is.

30 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

This triggered me tbh

yeah...thought about that right after I posted it...

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Because that’s how he wants to fan.

The WR Gute got was a 26 year old Funchess. But people wanted a shiny new WR that has the hopes of being more than what Funchess has shown so far.

Thats all it is.

...and one that runs a 4.4 40...

On 5/20/2020 at 2:11 AM, Shanedorf said:

AJ Dillon put up a Speed Score of 117.3  at the combine, ranking him # 2 in the draft class behind Jonathan Taylor
Speed Score takes into account the weight of the RB and the 40 time

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/speed-score-2020

Unless my math is off (likely) Eddie Lacy's speed score at his combine was 102.7.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:11 AM, Shanedorf said:

AJ Dillon put up a Speed Score of 117.3  at the combine, ranking him # 2 in the draft class behind Jonathan Taylor
Speed Score takes into account the weight of the RB and the 40 time

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/speed-score-2020

Not surprised at all. I think what DID surprise most people is that he ran a 4.5 flat at just 6' 247. I would've loved to see him do the 3-cone just to see how agile he is. FWIW, he has a 41 inch vert. At his height/weight ratio, that's quite impressive IMO.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

his nickname in middle school was "cottontail"

true story

That's because....

oh wait, this isn't thecasualracist.com

:D:D:D

Seriously, I like this pick more and more each day.  I really hope we get a good look at him in preseason.  I am not convinced that he can replace a year 4 Jamaal Williams, but I think in 2021 Dillon will be dynamite.

I kinda hope they have DIllon cut weight honestly.  Like, I get that he's a stud athlete even at that weight, but the weight doesn't really help the things he does best anyway.  At 245 I just think all it does is give him more power to try to deal with all the defenders he could have just outrun at 230.  He's not a physical runner who wants to go over you; he can and will when you run him up the middle every play, but he's at his best when he's running away from contact rather than at it.

I see it sort of like Bell; he was fine at that weight, but his game really took a leap when he didn't have to move all that extra weight around.  He dropped from 244 to 225 from 2013 and 2014 and the results speak from themselves. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I kinda hope they have DIllon cut weight honestly.  Like, I get that he's a stud athlete even at that weight, but the weight doesn't really help the things he does best anyway.  At 245 I just think all it does is give him more power to try to deal with all the defenders he could have just outrun at 230.  He's not a physical runner who wants to go over you; he can and will when you run him up the middle every play, but he's at his best when he's running away from contact rather than at it.

I see it sort of like Bell; he was fine at that weight, but his game really took a leap when he didn't have to move all that extra weight around.  He dropped from 244 to 225 from 2013 and 2014 and the results speak from themselves. 

I think that will happen naturally with an NFL training program. When Jones was drafted, he didn't have that extra gear, yet in Year 2 of his time with Green Bay, he found that and then some. I suspect we'll see a more explosive Dillon at some point. He already runs like he's 215 in regards to his agility, I suspect he'll be down to at least 235 by season's end.

29 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think that will happen naturally with an NFL training program. When Jones was drafted, he didn't have that extra gear, yet in Year 2 of his time with Green Bay, he found that and then some. I suspect we'll see a more explosive Dillon at some point. He already runs like he's 215 in regards to his agility, I suspect he'll be down to at least 235 by season's end.

Jones was a damn fine runner early on. His Y/C was the same as a rookie as it was a sophomore. Jones wasn't not playing because he wasn't a good runner. He wasn't playing because he blocked like he was blind.

I'm not going to say that RBs don't develop, but it's not like they really get faster. They might get a little more patient, bulk up a little, or block a little better, but they're basically the same guy. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jones was a damn fine runner early on. His Y/C was the same as a rookie as it was a sophomore. Jones wasn't not playing because he wasn't a good runner. He wasn't playing because he blocked like he was blind.

I'm not going to say that RBs don't develop, but it's not like they really get faster. They might get a little more patient, bulk up a little, or block a little better, but they're basically the same guy. 

Early on for us yes, I looked at his college film and it seemed as if he couldn't outrun dudes once he got into the open field. We've seen a much more explosive player as a pro in that regard. I'm willing to bet that 4.5 40 out of Dillon, which was faster than Jones', will be seen more on the field as a pro given that we have a multidimensional offense instead of the more one-dimensional offense in which Dillon played in college.

I'm really excited to see this guy hit the field.