2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Great game for Dillon .. been waiting for them to unleash this guy and they picked the perfect scene to do it.  He's going to be a major factor from here on out this season .. fresh legs and huge body will cause a lot of problems for opponents going forward.

Yep, I was hoping to unleash him about a month earlier for these cold weather games but there were obviously some setbacks. He’s now set the standard and will have to keep it up even if he’s only getting ~12 touches into January.  If he keeps crushing it, I hope they feed him more. 

If I were an opponent watching film, I would not be thrilled seeing that beast come out. The one thing I would attack would be his ball security. I’m not saying it’s a weakness but a rookie in big games who you really need a few guys to bring down, I would see if he might cough it up.  

As a guy who ran so much at BC, that was not an issue with him.  If anything, he’s seeing lighter fronts, but with much higher caliber players. This could be fun. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, snackattack said:

this would be super low for Jones IMO.  only way i could see him taking that kind of money would be if it was nearly fully guaranteed and if he took a very short-term deal expecting the salary cap to go back up in the near future so he can cash-in on his big pay day.  i doubt this happens even with the cap going down.

Yes and no. CMC/Cook/Kamara made headlines, but  Melvin Gordon and Eckler got last year 4/24 and 2/16. We'll see if anyone is lining up to pay him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Yes and no. CMC/Cook/Kamara made headlines, but  Melvin Gordon and Eckler got last year 4/24 and 2/16. We'll see if anyone is lining up to pay him.

I don't think there is any doubt that Jones isn't in that upper echelon .. he's probably dreaming if he thinks he will get a deal on par with McCaffrey, Cook and Kamara.

• Like 1

Dillon looked terrific.  I've withheld trust that he could necessarily be the main man, or that he'd actually excel in short-yardage.  (He still needs to have his feet be free and have some sort of seam, obviously...). But man, what an encouraging debut.  Much more comfortable that you could go forward next year with Dillon and Jamaal.  The offense would be different for sure, to some degree.  But he can totally work.  

Jones obviously has the bounce and creativity.  The long run he had yesterday, I thought he was bottled up in the backfield for a 2-yard loss; somehow he bounced free and got around the corner and it's a huge run.  Don't imagine Williams or Dillon could do that run.  But could also imagine Dillon getting some runs where he's able to power through and break free and get some length, that Jones wouldn't be able to do either.  Just different guys with different qualities.  

But yeah, he looked great, and that draft pick looks like a winner.  Jones will need to shop the market.  

Given the look of the current offense, if Jones and Linsley were both available for the same contract, they'd probably be better off keeping Linsley.  Probably not cash for either of them.  

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

He sure was in 2019.

No he wasn’t.  He got a ton of red zone opportunities.  And as far as a receiving threat, he’s got nearly two yards less per reception on about 40 receptions less per year than Kamara or Christian.

He’s not in their ballpark.

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Eh that would be an extreme home town discount if he actually took that. Looking at the contracts given out to Cook, Kamara and CMC, he's looking at around 12-15.

If so,  bye bye and play for a crap team with a losing record but making more money.  His choice.

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No he wasn’t.  He got a ton of red zone opportunities.  And as far as a receiving threat, he’s got nearly two yards less per reception on about 40 receptions less per year than Kamara or Christian.

He’s not in their ballpark.

Then sign him for 6-8 mil guaranteed and move on.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Probably have to let him test the market and see what's out there.  Maybe we get lucky and he returns at a decent number. 

Hoping he sees the light, wants to play on a championship caliber team, still make good coin and tells Drew to get it done in GB.