2020 Round 3, Pick 66: Washington Redskins select WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

57 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh yeah, he needs to see the field for sure.  But he's not getting starter's reps this year.  Doesn't mean he won;'t be electric when he touches the football though

Yup. Saw the stat that he scored every 5th time he touched the ball. That is a kid you need to find a way to feed the ball

I wish they weren’t so adamant about treating him as if he’s a RB. We don’t need a damn RB, we need him to be working to get better as a WR. You can use him in the backfield, that’s fine — give him touches all over the field, I love that idea. 

But it’s a real longshot that this guy is not going to be a better RB than Guice. He needs to be a versatile weapon, and the way we’re going to get our best players on the field is by splitting him out and having Guice in the backfield. I’m really concerned that they’re close to giving up on Guice, and that would be a big mistake. In my view anyway.

• Like 1

I have never heared of him (don’t see college games here in The Netherlands), but I also didn’t know McLaurin, so that says nothing. BPA is the best way to draft. Film is fantastic on him (what I just saw)

Hope it’s the same aa last year and we have some gems in this and later rounds.

Edited by Dutch Redskins fan
Mclaurin fell of😂

39 minutes ago, Dutch Redskins fan said:

I have never heared of him (don’t see college games here in The Netherlands), but I also didn’t know , so that says nothing. BPA is the best way to draft. Film is fantastic on him (what I just saw)

Hope it’s the same aa last year and we have some gems in this and later rounds.

He's a great talent.  As can be expected, he is raw, but he is a top tier athlete whose hands you have to get on the football.  

I know a lot of guys are saying we have other needs, and needed a more polished player.  I get that, because there are a lot of holes on the roster, and traditionally, the Redskins don't do well at developing those un-polished players.  

However, we have a ton of holes.  One off-season of free agency and the draft (especially the draft, since the Panthers under Rivera almost solely build through the draft, big FA exenditures were very rare) is not going to fix all of the holes in this roster.  It may not even happen in two off-seasons.  We have to get talent.  We have a forward-thinking OC who could get a lot out of Gibson, and a WR coach who has developed a similar player before.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I wish they weren’t so adamant about treating him as if he’s a RB. We don’t need a damn RB, we need him to be working to get better as a WR. You can use him in the backfield, that’s fine — give him touches all over the field, I love that idea. 

But it’s a real longshot that this guy is not going to be a better RB than Guice. He needs to be a versatile weapon, and the way we’re going to get our best players on the field is by splitting him out and having Guice in the backfield. I’m really concerned that they’re close to giving up on Guice, and that would be a big mistake. In my view anyway.

At this point, his knees could be shot.  He just hasn't put together a healthy stretch where he can have meaningful carries.  At this point, I am unsure if his body can hold up because he hasn't been taking a lot of hits either.  It's not like Gruden didn't want to give Guice a chance, same with Callahan.  We rushed to play him both times last year. 

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At this point, his knees could be shot.  He just hasn't put together a healthy stretch where he can have meaningful carries.  At this point, I am unsure if his body can hold up because he hasn't been taking a lot of hits either.  It's not like Gruden didn't want to give Guice a chance, same with Callahan.  We rushed to play him both times last year. 

To be fair, Guice was doing just fine until that nasty shot to his knee. I’m not too sure that play wouldn’t have injured most NFL players. I kinda have a feeling Guice is going to do the Frank Gore thing and just be healthy for the rest of his career. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Maybe Rivera is upset with Guice because he got him fired lol

• Like 1

Washington Redskins

Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 picks: Memphis RB Antonio Gibson (No. 66 overall)
Day 2 grade and analysis: B+
It will be interesting to see how Washington uses Gibson in its offense. Ron Rivera probably sees some Curtis Samuel (who Rivera picked in the second round while in Carolina) in Gibson's game: versatile, strong and fast. Or maybe former Panthers offensive coordinator Scott Turner will use him a bit like he did Christian McCaffrey? Gibson's best position fit may be purely as a running back, though, a power player to take over from Adrian Peterson down the road. There's always a question about whether players like Gibson should be celebrated for their versatility or viewed skeptically because they lack a firm position. Washington did not have a second-round pick because of their 2019 draft-day trade for first-round pick Montez Sweat. While Sweat could be a good player, it is not yet clear whether that move was worth the price.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111377/article/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

• Like 1