2020 Round 3, Pick 66: Washington Redskins select WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would think his involvement would include Direct snaps, bubble screens and quick slants and reverses. Getting his hands on the ball and let him do his thing. I think it’s going to be pretty good. Never had someone like him before. 

That's how Gruden used Steven Sims until later in the year when KOc made him our slot WR.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would think his involvement would include Direct snaps, bubble screens and quick slants and reverses. Getting his hands on the ball and let him do his thing. I think it’s going to be pretty good. Never had someone like him before. 

He can also take the top off of defenses.  There should be no limit in how they try to get him the football.  

• Like 1

Gibson is going to be such a fun piece they can move around, I can't wait to see him a Sims together. It should be fun, both are so explosive. Gibson more power explosive, Sims just straight up speed and wiggle.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I like what I see from this guy . You can't win the game unless yous score ! Best you can do is a 0-0 tie . I like guys that have a knack for getting in the endzone ! I think we're gonna all love this kid. 

Yeah, I know he has development to do as a receiver but the way he attacks everything and then how he runs after the catch he reminds of Garcon or like an Anquan Boldin. 

He has development to do, but I'm very excited about his potential.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I know he has development to do as a receiver but the way he attacks everything and then how he runs after the catch he reminds of Garcon or like an Anquan Boldin. 

He has development to do, but I'm very excited about his potential.

My first thought when we drafted him -- was Garcon'. Same kinda build and speed. 

He seems extremely stiff-hipped, or tight through the upper leg, or something like that. Is anyone else seeing that when they watch him? When he runs, it genuinely looks painful at times. There’s a play against Tulsa that’s on most of his highlight reels where he runs an in-breaking route from the bottom of the screen, catches it and turns it upfield. He actually scores on the play, but it looks like he’s laboring through every step — especially when he’s making the “90 degree” (let’s just say he doesn’t exactly snap it off) cut. 

In any event, whatever’s causing it, he’s definitely better going in a straight line than turning. That’s definitely going to limit his ability to play as a full-time WR. Hopefully the new S&C group can do something to loosen him up a bit, yoga or Pilates or whatever else the fit chicks are doing these days, because otherwise he’s out of this world dangerous with the ball in his hands.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

He seems extremely stiff-hipped, or tight through the upper leg, or something like that. Is anyone else seeing that when they watch him? When he runs, it genuinely looks painful at times. There’s a play against Tulsa that’s on most of his highlight reels where he runs an in-breaking route from the bottom of the screen, catches it and turns it upfield. He actually scores on the play, but it looks like he’s laboring through every step — especially when he’s making the “90 degree” (let’s just say he doesn’t exactly snap it off) cut. 

In any event, whatever’s causing it, he’s definitely better going in a straight line than turning. That’s definitely going to limit his ability to play as a full-time WR. Hopefully the new S&C group can do something to loosen him up a bit, yoga or Pilates or whatever else the fit chicks are doing these days, because otherwise he’s out of this world dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Man, I just watched 6:40 minutes , maybe 30-40 plays on YouTube. Looks smooth to me-makes some great moves , just kind dances sideways on a coupla plays. Feet seem quick-- I guess I just can't see it . 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

When is the last time we had a draft pick this polarizing that wasn't a QB? Maybe Ryan Anderson. 

I think the fuel for this is his "position".  Most people wanted CB or LB it seems so they are looking to fault the man / pick.

54 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Man, I just watched 6:40 minutes , maybe 30-40 plays on YouTube. Looks smooth to me-makes some great moves , just kind dances sideways on a coupla plays. Feet seem quick-- I guess I just can't see it . 

The play I’m talking about is at about 3:31 of this video:

You see he has trouble snapping off the route, it’s really rounded at the top. And then he just looks labored all the way to the house. To me, at least — maybe it’s just different. But it looks like tight hips to me. 

And for the record, all I’m saying is I see why they think he’s more RB than WR. Watch Steven Sims or Terry McLaurin change direction and change speeds — they move like WRs, they can start and stop and gear down quickly and change direction in a hurry. Gibson is more of a full speed ahead player, he’s great at getting up to top speed and he’s excellent at sort of “veering” at full speed to blow past players — but when it comes to being able to throttle down and take the tight curves, he’s not built for that. 

Think of it as the difference between a kick returner and a punt returner. On kick return, you’re basically just looking to get up to full speed and blow through the coverage team. There’s not a ton of turning or reversing direction, you don’t stop and start, you just go and make small adjustments (that “veer” I’m talking about) that make a huge difference when you’re flying at full speed. Punt return is a different animal, you’re doing a lot more of the dancing, dodging, weaving, etc. Not a big surprise to me that they had this guy returning kickoffs but not punts.

Or if it’s a better example, the difference between RGIII and Lamar/Vick. They’re all similarly “fast” — but even before the injury, RGIII was fast in a sort of stiff, straight-line, track star kind of way. And those other guys will kill you with their ability to stop and start and change direction. 

I still like the pick. I don’t love it because I don’t think it was great value, but I love the player. I just think he’s going to have to be a good bit more RB than WR for now, and hopefully they’ll be taking a look at some ways for the S&C team to help loosen him up in the middle body a little. Could unlock even more ability for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The play I’m talking about is at about 3:31 of this video:

You see he has trouble snapping off the route, it’s really rounded at the top. And then he just looks labored all the way to the house. To me, at least — maybe it’s just different. But it looks like tight hips to me. 

And for the record, all I’m saying is I see why they think he’s more RB than WR. Watch Steven Sims or Terry McLaurin change direction and change speeds — they move like WRs, they can start and stop and gear down quickly and change direction in a hurry. Gibson is more of a full speed ahead player, he’s great at getting up to top speed and he’s excellent at sort of “veering” at full speed to blow past players — but when it comes to being able to throttle down and take the tight curves, he’s not built for that. 

Think of it as the difference between a kick returner and a punt returner. On kick return, you’re basically just looking to get up to full speed and blow through the coverage team. There’s not a ton of turning or reversing direction, you don’t stop and start, you just go and make small adjustments (that “veer” I’m talking about) that make a huge difference when you’re flying at full speed. Punt return is a different animal, you’re doing a lot more of the dancing, dodging, weaving, etc. Not a big surprise to me that they had this guy returning kickoffs but not punts.

Or if it’s a better example, the difference between RGIII and Lamar/Vick. They’re all similarly “fast” — but even before the injury, RGIII was fast in a sort of stiff, straight-line, track star kind of way. And those other guys will kill you with their ability to stop and start and change direction. 

I still like the pick. I don’t love it because I don’t think it was great value, but I love the player. I just think he’s going to have to be a good bit more RB than WR for now, and hopefully they’ll be taking a look at some ways for the S&C team to help loosen him up in the middle body a little. Could unlock even more ability for him.

That was my biggest thing with him if they want him as a wife out he’s still like DK last year!!! Isn’t going to bang those feet stop at 12 and dart right back up to speed on a line. He’s going to round off routes because his build. I still like him out wide while giving him just as many looks inside next too AP or Guice. I like the packages. I know we maybe didn’t get the value some wanted but I had him in this range I never actually thought he was a guy on our radar. And if we’re going to use screens and this guy in the short game to be a extension of the run I’m all for it. We have a lot of offers to guys a lot of size. I think he fits what the staff wants so I’m good. I do hope he can work on his routes and maybe even evolve as more of a outside guy in the mood of a BMarsh. Maybe that’s what AGG is looked at like. But I like the draft for us