2020 Round 3, Pick 66: Washington Redskins select WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

24 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

225 lbs guy with a 4.3 40 that can linenup anywhere...

I kind of like maybe he can be Marshall Faulk

Yeah, like that or McCaffery like. I'm sure that's what Scott Turner, Ron & Kyle we're thinking when they scouted him/took him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, like that or McCaffery like. I'm sure that's what Scott Turner, Ron & Kyle we're thinking when they scouted him/took him.

That guy is spot on. Gibson doesn’t have Terry routes and probably can’t get to Terry’s current level over his career. But just line him up and get him touches. He’s too fast for backers too big for CB’s. Safety’s shouldn’t try covering him with the general speed there he’s just a matchup nightmare. Don’t overthink him work on his routes line him up everywhere and get creative with stacked backfields of him and AP or Guice. Put him in the slot in line whatever just get him Atleast 100 plus touches this year

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

That guy is spot on. Gibson doesn’t have Terry routes and probably can’t get to Terry’s current level over his career. But just line him up and get him touches. He’s too fast for backers too big for CB’s. Safety’s shouldn’t try covering him with the general speed there he’s just a matchup nightmare. Don’t overthink him work on his routes line him up everywhere and get creative with stacked backfields of him and AP or Guice. Put him in the slot in line whatever just get him Atleast 100 plus touches this year

Terry, Sims, Guice, Love or McKissic & Gibson on the field together is sooo much speed! Match up nightmares all over the field!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Terry, Sims, Guice, Love or McKissic & Gibson the field together is sooo much speed! Match up nightmares all over the field!

Good because our defense has a similar feel. No such thing as too much speed but I love where we’re headed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still don’t think this pick works out. Just reminds me of the Matt Jones pick. 

He’s nothing like Matt Jones. Jones was overdrafted by at least one round - arguably two and had fumbling problems even in college. Jones was an awful draft selection by Scot McCloughan.

Gibson on the other hand is a far more explosive athlete and versatile player who has zero fumbling issues. He can be moved around from RB to WR and used to create mismatches in space vs linebackers and safeties. 

I just don’t know where you’re finding anything in the evaluation of Gibson as a player to suggest that he’s going to end up like Matt Jones and be a bust. I don’t know that he’s definitely going to work out - no one does - but comparing him to Matt Jones is just an awful comparison to make.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’s nothing like Matt Jones. Jones was overdrafted by at least one round - arguably two and had fumbling problems even in college. Jones was an awful draft selection by Scot McCloughan.

Gibson on the other hand is a far more explosive athlete and versatile player who has zero fumbling issues. He can be moved around from RB to WR and used to create mismatches in space vs linebackers and safeties. 

I just don’t know where you’re finding anything in the evaluation of Gibson as a player to suggest that he’s going to end up like Matt Jones and be a bust. I don’t know that he’s definitely going to work out - no one does - but comparing him to Matt Jones is just an awful comparison to make.

Bro, you spent two years telling me I was wrong about Matt Jones and how good he was going to be. You gave me crap because I got pissed they gave him the job over Alf. 

And it’s very easy to see how he can be a bust. He had limited carries and receptions even though he was considered his teams most explosive player. He doesn’t have a true position. He’s not a great RB or receiver. This pick is the epitome of boom or bust. 

Edited by lavar703

30 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Bro, you spent two years telling me I was wrong about Matt Jones and how good he was going to be. You gave me crap because I got pissed they gave him the job over Alf. 

And it’s very easy to see how he can be a bust. He had limited carries and receptions even though he was considered his teams most explosive player. He doesn’t have a true position. He’s not a great RB or receiver. This pick is the epitome of boom or bust. 

You’re not exactly characterizing our Matt Jones discussions correctly. I mean to start with, I never wanted to get rid of Alfred Morris, you won’t find one post of me ever staying that I wanted to get rid of Alf. All I was arguing with Jones was to give him a chance at the time. Jones was on the team and Scot McCoughan decided not to re-sign Alf bc he wanted to just give Jones the job, and Scot supposedly at that time was walking on water to everyone so, let’s just give Jones a chance.

As far as Gibson goes, it’s about the talent, the versatility and the potential he has. Also, the fact that this coaching staff -  while in Carolina - did great jobs at developing similar type talents. I trust the staff to develop him. I think they’ll find ways to use him as they did with similar players in Carolina. A guy like this, you get them the ball in space - like with Steven Sims - and they make things happen. 

In comparison, that was never Matt Jones.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I still don’t think this pick works out. Just reminds me of the Matt Jones pick. Not that they’re similar players but a reach for a physical freak. 

Jones has ability and it showed while he would look like a all purpose back those few games right before he’d fumble at the end when he could have been the key to us winning he would fumble and lose it after all the good in those games. I don’t know any poster pre pick that mentioned him for us anywhere or liked him as a mid rounder to be a selection. We gave Scot the benefit of doubt and he missed and it happens.
But we have guys that mentioned Gibson in the draft thread. The biggest knock on the Gibson selection isn’t the player it’s where he plays and fits in with the value of the fact he was our second selection because we had no second round pick. Also there’s the fact our second selections of late have been 2nd round picks such as Guice or Anderson who haven’t planned out. Then you look at our 3rd from last year we love what Terry has shown here. But many of us would have named a different WR at that point but Terry has been gold. 
Gibson is worthy of the pick. The issue is the position he will be used at for most because we wanted a WR mainly because the value and depth of the class and it seems he will be more used as a RB where we feel we have talent and value that didn’t need to be added too with our second selection for a player who isn’t a sure fire pro bowler without saying he’s a RB that can be used as a WR3 as well or WR mainly who we can use in the backfield some to utilize his talent.

i think because of his lack of primary position is being looked at as a knock when it’s the skill set that he has that is the reason his selection is a value. It was a luxuary pick in a way but if he chamges the dynamic of our offense and is properly used this can impact both units huge!!! I’m excited for this pick I don’t know anyone that can say they wanted Jones before his selection

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Jones has ability and it showed while he would look like a all purpose back those few games right before he’d fumble at the end when he could have been the key to us winning he would fumble and lose it after all the good in those games. I don’t know any poster pre pick that mentioned him for us anywhere or liked him as a mid rounder to be a selection. We gave Scot the benefit of doubt and he missed and it happens.
But we have guys that mentioned Gibson in the draft thread. The biggest knock on the Gibson selection isn’t the player it’s where he plays and fits in with the value of the fact he was our second selection because we had no second round pick. Also there’s the fact our second selections of late have been 2nd round picks such as Guice or Anderson who haven’t planned out. Then you look at our 3rd from last year we love what Terry has shown here. But many of us would have named a different WR at that point but Terry has been gold. 
Gibson is worthy of the pick. The issue is the position he will be used at for most because we wanted a WR mainly because the value and depth of the class and it seems he will be more used as a RB where we feel we have talent and value that didn’t need to be added too with our second selection for a player who isn’t a sure fire pro bowler without saying he’s a RB that can be used as a WR3 as well or WR mainly who we can use in the backfield some to utilize his talent.

i think because of his lack of primary position is being looked at as a knock when it’s the skill set that he has that is the reason his selection is a value. It was a luxuary pick in a way but if he chamges the dynamic of our offense and is properly used this can impact both units huge!!! I’m excited for this pick I don’t know anyone that can say they wanted Jones before his selection

Exactly, and I’m not going to compare Gibson the prospect to Christian McCaffery bc that wouldn’t be fair or true but, I think Ron, Kyle and Scott Turner think they can use Gibson in that same way for their offense, and if Gibson can be a poor man’s McCaffery - as a RB, a receiving RB and a WR - then, we just got one hell of a player for the second straight year in the 3rd round of the draft. 

Gibson had 1,750 All-Purpose yards (including kick returns) and 13 TDs for Memphis last year. There’s an argument to be made that Gibson could be our next Brian Mitchell/bigger version of Chris Thompson, but a better option as a wide receiver. As I’ve said since he was drafted though, I’d rather see him be developed as a wide receiver bc I see a lot of Pierre Garçon in him, but he has to really work hard on route running in the way Pierre did to get to where he’s a starting level WR who can run the entire route tree.

Gibson’s potential is there for him to be a “great weapon for Haskins,” and last time I checked, isn’t that what everyone complained that Haskins didn’t have enough of all offseason?

Well, we just added two potential good weapons for Haskins in the draft despite not having a 2nd round pick - Gibson and what some are calling the steal of the draft in AGG - and people are still complaining?

Come on dude! Haha 🤣 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I would absolutely trust Gibson to be used effectively by this coaching staff, however.  I can't say that for a lot of the players we've drafted that fit this mold over the years.  That's one of the few things I like about Rivera and the offensive coaches- they know how to coach and develop athletic talents like this. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly, and I’m not going to compare Gibson the prospect to Christian McCaffery bc that wouldn’t be fair or true but, I think Ron, Kyle and Scott Turner think they can use Gibson in that same way for their offense, and if Gibson can be a poor man’s McCaffery - as a RB, a receiving RB and a WR - then, we just got one hell of a player for the second straight year in the 3rd round of the draft. 

Gibson had 1,750 All-Purpose yards (including kick returns) and 13 TDs for Memphis last year. There’s an argument to be made that Gibson could be our next Brian Mitchell/bigger version of Chris Thompson, but a better option as a wide receiver. As I’ve said since he was drafted though, I’d rather see him be developed as a wide receiver bc I see a lot of Pierre Garçon in him, but he has to really work hard on route running in the way Pierre did to get to where he’s a starting level WR who can run the entire route tree.

Gibson’s potential is there for him to be a “great weapon for Haskins,” and last time I checked, isn’t that what everyone complained that Haskins didn’t have enough of all offseason?

Well, we just added two potential good weapons for Haskins in the draft despite not having a 2nd round pick - Gibson and what some are calling the steal of the draft in AGG - and people are still complaining?

Come on dude! Haha 🤣 

Redskins can have that effect that even if they do things right or like you’d want the burn scars over the years have piled. But I’m excited that in recent years they have selected a lot of guys I was high on. Of course I got that Jeremy Chin itch watching him fall but I love this player for this team. Especially with AGG who can catch the ball from just about any kind of angle. So I’m pretty excited. Need to see Terry for 16 and Haskins improve. But I have faith by mid season we start to see this team gel and should look a lot more in sync as they grow together. I’m excited with the understanding we are the Redskins but this team if Haskins is legit the player we thought when we drafted him can be a tough out. I don’t expect anything crazy this is year 1 with Ron. But I do expect a tougher all around team. I’m not concerned about record. I want to see these last 4 draft classes take shape and start showing the vision behind these draft hauls as a unit

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Redskins can have that effect that even if they do things right or like you’d want the burn scars over the years have piled. But I’m excited that in recent years they have selected a lot of guys I was high on. Of course I got that Jeremy Chin itch watching him fall but I love this player for this team. Especially with AGG who can catch the ball from just about any kind of angle. So I’m pretty excited. Need to see Terry for 16 and Haskins improve. But I have faith by mid season we start to see this team gel and should look a lot more in sync as they grow together. I’m excited with the understanding we are the Redskins but this team if Haskins is legit the player we thought when we drafted him can be a tough out. I don’t expect anything crazy this is year 1 with Ron. But I do expect a tougher all around team. I’m not concerned about record. I want to see these last 4 draft classes take shape and start showing the vision behind these draft hauls as a unit

I think the Redskins are a 5 or 6 win team this year but they’ll show strides of becoming a good team. I think the young team will gel as they started to the second half of last year and start to rally around Haskins in the second half of this season.

Then, we’ll have another top 10 pick in the 2021 draft and that player along with the other young players on our team will be fighting for a playoff appearance in the 2021-22 season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think the Redskins are a 5 or 6 win team this year but they’ll show strides of becoming a good team. I think the young team will gel as they started to the second half of last year and start to rally around Haskins in the second half of this season.

Then, we’ll have another top 10 pick in the 2021 draft and that player along with the other young players on our team will be fighting for a playoff appearance in the 2021-22 season.

I can see it!!! I’m just excited to see this team look like a well coached team with all the players buying in

• Like 1