With the 63rd Picks, Chiefs Select LB Willie Gay Jr. MSST

Chiefer

9 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Don’t know much about him I’m gonna hit the books. Another Andy Reid Reclamation Project? He better not practice fight with Mahomes before games or the OL will destroy him

Super athletic. Off the field is definitely a concern, but no way he is stepping up to Mahomes. Pretty sure Clark would pile drive him into oblivion before he got close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Don’t know much about him I’m gonna hit the books. Another Andy Reid Reclamation Project? He better not practice fight with Mahomes before games or the OL will destroy him

Too much leadership on this roster for me to worry about a guy like Gay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Can compete for a starting role sounds good until you read they also see him as a special teamer.

So he’ll contribute in all phases of the game, good.

reid likes his guys to “grow up” on special teams, the more they prove themselves the more they get playing time.

Spagz doesn’t like to start rookies either. Thornhill is one of the few.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Too much leadership on this roster for me to worry about a guy like Gay.

Yeah I agree, Clark the Shark and the Honey Badger will reel him in. 

quite the menagerie we’ve got going over on the defensive side.

I've took some time to take a look at him. You clearly can see why we picked him in the 2nd round. His potential is through the roof and so is his athletic ability. Like onejayhawk said, he's going to provide good to great coverage abilities and a natural feeling of the route designs. Due to his athletic ability he has sideline-to-sideline speed and i really like his attitude as an aggressive player attacking gaps. He can be a great blitzer. I dunno much about his character issues, so i just have to trust our front office and coaching staff on that. He seems to have a passion for the game, but he definitely needs to improve in some areas, as i don't view him as a 2nd round talent right now. His aggressive nature leads him to be overly aggressive and missing angles that hurt the defense with 15+ yards losses instead of something like 5 yard losses. He needs to be more patience in that regard and can't rely purely on his athletic ability. His tackling skills are ok, not great, but not bad either. I think he needs to increase his playing strength to shred blocks more effectively. Although  he has the abilities to read routes and seem to have a natural feeling for coverage, it seems like he has some issues to shoot the right gap, through i'm not totally sure if's a problem of the system or if it's on his reads defending the run.

I think he has an elite potential, but definitely needs to be coached up. Some area of concerns are probably coachable, but i'm not sure if all of them are coachable, so i'm a bit worried, that he won't be the best player he could be with his athletic abilities. I do like to hear, that Matt House was a fan of his, as i'm thinking highly on him as a coach, so i'm positive that he can coach some of the weaknesses out of him. Otherwise u might be able to scheme around his weaknesses a bit. Giving him more coverage responsibilties early on and probably using him as a special teams player, as that should really play to his strengths and he should be a fit for our system, as our offense forces opponent offenses to score points and therefore more often than not to abandon their run game. I think that's the time where we can really use him. To be a true MLB i think he needs more time, but for now we can give him the time and use him according to his strengths. So although i don't view him as a 2nd round player right now, i see his potential and think it's fine that we picked him up, as we have the coaching staff and the time to really develope him into the best player he can be. For now a C or C+ for me, but i could easily see him as an A+ pick in a few years.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2