3.68 Ashtyn Davis

Bobby816

He's another athletic freak.  Seems to be a trend for JD in his first draft.  He can play CB and is a true centerfield safety.  Interesting pick to say the least.  Swiss army knife type guy.  More Jamal in the box maybe which would be great for adding athleticism to our defense.

Hope we walk away with a pass rusher, OG, or WR with the next two picks.  

Love the upside of these picks.  Nice to target some freak athletes.  I'd love to another guy with 4.3 speed to this offense before the night is over.

• Like 2

So I really didn’t like this pick....but......

Overview

Late-comer to the game who has rare physical gifts that can't be taught but can be capitalized on. His instincts are just average right now, but he appears to have decent recognition skills. He just needs to trust what he sees. Learning to play under control in coverage and as a tackler will be the difference between being considered a good football player instead of an explosive athlete. The elite traits should get him drafted inside the first two days, but there are some boom/bust elements to his game right now. He should become a future starter at safety, but his size, length and speed could create interest in him as a potential cornerback conversion.

Could he convert to Cb?!?!? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

Tbh this pick doesnt make much sense considering what we need and where it was taken. 

Plenty of interior lineman and edges available. Doubling up at receiver. Ashtyns role looks like a third safety/nickel corner...which is a luxury. 

You’re not just drafting for this year. 

Maye is a free agent next year and has dealt with injuries. A Big Nickel, which Davis can play, is vital in today’s NFL as well and we lacked one of those. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Interesting pick to say the least with Maye and Adams here

Say goodbye to Maye after this season.  He's always injured anyway.  Let's face it.  Maye is NOT a free safety.  Hes another Strong Safety like Jamal who never should have been drafted once we had Jamal.  We don't have anyone really capable of the free safety role and now we do.  

I'll bet this was all Greg Williams letting Gase and JD know that they need a free safety out there to compliment Jamal and Maye has been the absolute wrong answer and has been the wrong answersince the moment Maccagvomit drafted him.

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

It's interesting but he's pretty good and can play deep. I mentioned before he's a good back up plan for Maye injuries and Adams contract. He can play both roles. 

It's not a plan to back-up Maye.  It's a plan to remove Maye after 2020. He NEVER fit.  He's a strong safety and I have no doubt Greg Williams has been screaming for a free safety.  There is no way that Maye will be coming back in 2021.