3.68 Ashtyn Davis

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya I’ve came around to really liking this pick.

So am I.  Had you been anywhere around me last night or near my phone, you would have seen a very angry Jets fan.  But now....the opposite.  The more I read on Davis, the more I'm happy with this.  And it is quite evident that theis is a Greg Williams preference and he probably had it high on his list to get a real free safety because the team has had a pair of strong safeties (albeit one of them with LB talents).  We can talk about all of Macs horrible drafting, but after Hackenberg, the drafting of Maye is the dumbest. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You’re not just drafting for this year. 

Maye is a free agent next year and has dealt with injuries. A Big Nickel, which Davis can play, is vital in today’s NFL as well and we lacked one of those. 

Of course. I just thought we had more pressing needs on the OL that werent going to be there later. 

I suppose he can blanket tight ends which would be essential. Always hard a soft spot for Maye though even though I was absolutely disgusted by the pick at the time because of the Jamal pick a round earlier. 

Maybe we could even trade Maye later on in the year if Davis balls out. 

12 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

Of course. I just thought we had more pressing needs on the OL that werent going to be there later. 

The jets have no "pressing" needs on the OL anymore. We have depth and versatility.  Adding secondary help was a wayy bigger need than a backup guard (we are already paying one backup 7 mil) or a backup center. 

As of now the jets are 7 deep at OL. I'm sure theyll get at least 1 more developmental guy but that doesnt need to be in the early 3rd. 

Davis can come out immediately and play special teams as well as 3 safety sets. So Davis will provide a much more immediate impact than the majority of OL would be. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

After sleeping on this pick, I’ve come around too. Think we’re going to see a lot of 3 safety looks this year. Jamal is going to be lining up all over the place. 

This is what I think happens this season. 

The NFL has 3-4 wr sets all the time plus a te in most three wr sets. Because of this, coverage is very important. With Maye sitting deep and Adams being our roamer (think Troy) we now have a Poole-like player to be the other slot. 

The odds that Maye, and poole and Adams all get paid after June of this year but before next draft is very slim, so to have a guy that can replace poole as the main slot guy or replace Maye as the deep guy with a year to groom him and to see which, spot he excels at is very smart. 

This dude is a great return man to boot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

This pick is looking better and better. Joe D was looking into his crystal ball. Lol

Yeah perhaps this was to replace Adams all along.  Not the same player, but we all thought this was to replace Maye.  JD looked into the future.

4 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

Yeah perhaps this was to replace Adams all along.  Not the same player, but we all thought this was to replace Maye.  JD looked into the future.

I honestly think the whole “Jet for life” thing wasn’t true and Jamal knows it. It makes the most sense now.