3.68 Ashtyn Davis

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Williams has earned my respect enough to where I trust he will not only utilize him correctly. But also get the most out of him.

Listening to the clip below, the plan is to use Davis much like Mathieu is used.  He's  going to be positioned as a hybrid FS and CB.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/audio/jets-draft-press-conference-4-24-2020-nfl-draft

100% Greg Williams.  Bye-bye Maye either now or after 2020.

(i'll never understand the back-to-back strong safety picks back then... a 7 year old could draft smarter than Mac).

Edited by dcat

^ That's exactly what I was going to say - I was a big fan of signing Badger when he became available ~2 years ago and I love the Davis pick because of the versatilely that he will add to our defense

I definitely acknowledge that Davis will more than likely permanently replace Maye long-term, but am loving the idea of Jamal in the box and Maye / Davis roaming up top next season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcat said:

Listening to the clip below, the plan is to use Davis much like Mathieu is used.  He's  going to be positioned as a hybrid FS and CB.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/audio/jets-draft-press-conference-4-24-2020-nfl-draft

100% Greg Williams.  Bye-bye Maye either now or after 2020.

(i'll never understand the back-to-back strong safety picks back then... a 7 year old could draft smarter than Mac).

Especially with Dalvin Cook staring you in the face. 

• Like 1

We haven't had a ballhawk like this since maybe Kerry Rhodes.

I think this signals the end for Maye maybe.  I think JD wants to keep Adams and will pay up but spending big money for 2 safeties he probably doesn't want to do.

But then again who knows because we kept adding safety help last year even with Maye.  Maybe they do have a plan for all 3.

Edited by Rockice_8

The Book on Davis
Games watched: Washington (2019), TCU (2018), North Carolina (2018) - Tape Review Date: 10/20/19
A wide receiver in high school who earned no interest as a recruit, Davis initially went to California to run track as a former high school track stud. Davis would ultimately go on to be a four time all-American in track at California, but to start off with that is likely a disservice to what he does as a football player. A walk-on for the California football team, Davis would end up earning a scholarship and making it onto the roster quite easily thanks to his excellent speed and potential. He would redshirt his freshman year with the program, but quickly made an impact once he got an opportunity to take the field in 2016. Davis would only start three games in his first season of game action, but earned the team's award for most valuable special teams player. He would only start half of the year as a sophomore, but saw a fair amount of his usage come as a kick returner. He won the award for most valuable special teams player yet again. Despite juggling a track career with a football career, Davis continued to grow and get better as a ball player. By his junior year Davis had finally stepped into the spotlight, as he started all 13 games for the team and earned first team all-PAC-12 honors for his performance. Davis did not receive significant hype for the 2019 NFL Draft, and would ultimately return to school largely unnoticed by those in the media. It wouldn't take long for him to start building steam in the summer as a talented player with the upside to be a top 100 pick come draft night. Pairing with fellow California safety Jaylinn Hawkins to form a dynamic duo on the back end, Davis helped guide one of the most talented defenses to ever come together in Berkeley. Davis would end up only gaining second team all-conference honors during his senior year, but he cemented himself as one of the best defensive backs in the nation thanks to a well-rounded style of play with no major flaws. He would be invited to the Senior Bowl, but would end up not getting to participate in the game due to an injury that lingered the back end of the year. Davis wouldn't get to test and show off his athleticism at the NFL Combine either, which could have been a major proving ground for him as a first round selection come April. Nevertheless, teams that do their homework on Davis should have him pretty high on the board. He checks all of the boxes in terms of elite character, upper echelon athleticism, and all-pro potential. His interviews at the Senior Bowl were fantastic and should endear him to most NFL coaches. The lack of opportunities on the draft season circuit will likely prevent him from getting taken extremely early, but it's tough to see Davis fall out of the top 50 selections barring some unseen medical or character flags popping up pre-draft. The talented defender has the ceiling to be the best safety in the NFL, and it wouldn't be a stunner if he reaches that potential sooner rather than later.
Edited by dcat
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We haven't had a ballhawk like this since maybe Kerry Rhodes.

I think this signals the end for Maye maybe.  I think JD wants to keep Adams and will pay up but spending big money for 2 safeties he probably doesn't want to do.

But then again who knows because we kept adding safety help last year even with Maye.  Maybe they do have a plan for all 3.

I think it comes down to properly allocating your resources. I’ve always thought Maye has been overrated. But he has flashes. And we might have paid him off those flashes. But it’s not good team building to pay Adams a huge chunk of money and give Maye a good deal as well. Quite frankly S isn’t important enough to spend 25-30mill in cap on for several years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it comes down to properly allocating your resources. I’ve always thought Maye has been overrated. But he has flashes. And we might have paid him off those flashes. But it’s not good team building to pay Adams a huge chunk of money and give Maye a good deal as well. Quite frankly S isn’t important enough to spend 25-30mill in cap on for several years.

Agreed.  I doubt JD is paying big bucks for 2 SS's.  Davis fits the ballhawk FS much better.

• Like 1

I dug a little deeper on this guy, track star, fast, Swiss army knife player, returns punts.

Saw an article on him that said he is an under the radar talent (20 guys to watch for in the NFL Draft)

I'm very happy with all the picks

• Like 2

I've said this in other posts but I'll put it here as well....

I LOVE THIS PICK!

I wouldnt have made it myself but I completely understand why it was made. Jamal Adam's is a hybrid safety (part safety/part LB). Ashtyn Davis is also a hybrid but a different style (part safety/part CB). In fact, many think Davis profiles better as a CB than a S cause of his speed and athleticism. 

What I love about Davis is that he is incredibly hard working (walk on for both the football and track team at cal), comes with a huge chip on his shoulder, has amazing range and instincts. And will match Jamal's intesntity every step of the way. 

I expect the 2021 season to feature Adam's and Davis as starters for safety (maye will be odd man out but with his injury history the jets rather not sign him long term). 

I honestly think the Jets safety tandem will be set with this pick... furthermore, it shows  that JD and GW are legitimately building their defensive around Jamal Adam's as Davis is a perfect compliment to him. 

Edited by KodiakThunder
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I actually think that Maye is underrated but he was never going to get a second deal with this team because of Jamal

Macc is such a bum

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The more versatility for Gregg the better.  I'm on board with the pick now. AND I'm sure he can be a ST star.  Haven't had a good returner or cover guy in a while.  Those things are important too,

Ya I’ve came around to really liking this pick.

• Like 1