2020 Draft Pick #71 - Justin Madubuike

coordinator0

Crazy. I saw we intereviewed him but just couldn’t imagine that an explosive pass rusher like Justin Madubuike would fall this far in the draft. Explosive guys like him usually don’t last long on draft day. Well it might cost me the draft game... but I’m definitely happy with the selection for sure.

• Like 1

7. JUSTIN MADUBUIKE, Texas A&M (6-2 1/2, 293, 4.85, 2): 

Fourth-year junior paced the position in the 3-cone at 7.37 seconds. One team that throws all testing numbers into a hopper and comes up with overall rankings had him as the best athlete at the position. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be a third-rounder. He’s got some character concerns. Just personality and small things off the field with his teammates.” Fourth-year junior redshirted in 2016, backed up in ’17 and started and won team MVP honors each of the past two seasons. “He’s got as much talent as any of ’em,” said a second scout. “But he doesn’t love football. He can do everything. He can run, too.” Finished with 105 tackles (24 1/2 for loss) and 11 sacks. “He’s more than athlete enough, but he’s one of those guys who picks his spots,” a third scout said. “He’s got to play inside, and I don’t know if he can. He’s more like a move nose tackle than an anchor. … He was a highly rotated player. He tapped himself out. I don’t think he’s a tough guy.” Arms were 33 1/2, hands were merely 9. From McKinney, Texas.

From Bob McGinn's DL article

As for the latter- good.

Madubuike can immediately rush inside with Calais on passing downs. He'll have his growing pains against the run early and will probably never trend towards the elite in that department, but he has massive rush potential all across the DL.  

• Like 3

Madubuike paced the entire SEC with his pass rush win rate during the 2018 season, and was great again during his final season. 

He also tested far and away as the best athlete among his high end DI peers. He has much more potential to dig out of then the rest of the class. He's a guy that could have gone back for his Senior season and came back a Top 15 lock, much like Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw.

An insane steal and value pick at #71, and he'll carry a massive chip on his shoulder because of it. He should work that much harder with a leader/legend like Calais Campbell in house, and two former college teammates in Daylon Mack and Otaro Alaka. A wild man like Wolfe will probably rub off on him too. Don't forget B Will either. It's just a great match all around for us and him.

Madubuike is a former defensive end that has bend to threaten off the edge too. On tape you see him notch multiple pressures against OTs. Wink will enjoy moving him all over the front. I'm really excited for this pick.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 3