Pick #80 is in: RB/WR/QB, Lynn Bowden, Kentucky

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

William Stanback and Mark Thompson have never even taken a carry in the NFL. And Rod Smith has had a carry since the 2017 season. None of those guys are making the final 53 man roster so we have 3 RB's currently that will make the team. 

I might be reaching but interested in seeing those Canada guys.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Neither of them is eligible because they've had 2+ seasons on an active 53 man roster. 

Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-new-cba-explained-heres-a-look-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I really hope so! I’m not in love with Hyde or Freeman specifically but we definitely need a RB.... even a Isaiah Crowell type.  Speaking of him was there ever an injury update on him?  Would we possibly bring him back? I’d prefer someone else... acl’s take over a year to recover to full strength and he’s getting older.

Crowell I thought tore his Achilles which could be a career ender at that stage of his career. Id like him as an option but I dont see him returning honestly.

There's usually one or two decent camp cuts that could figure into our RB group but as has been said I'd be nervous going into the season with just the current roster guys as options for backup RB. We figure to run the ball a lot so I can easily see us carry 4 RBs if we include Bowden in that group as a Swiss army knife.  

20 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not that I put too much stick into Steve Smith’s analysis (he actually looks pretty high in that vid) but I am excited about this pick. There were some pundits who were discussing how the combine might propel him into the 2nd round but he obviously missed that chance.

Massive bust potential and I would say there is a real chance he doesn’t really contribute much - but if he’s used right, he could....could add some dynamism to our attack. He’ll definitely at least be a different problem for defenders to have to plan for.

Edited by reddevil

Hopefully we see a lot of two RB sets with Jacobs and Bowden in the back field. See if it’s a zone or man to man defense. If it’s man motion Bowden to the slot and have a one on one with a LB or safety. 

Really hope Gruden got some stuff up his sleeve for Bowden and Ruggs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, reddevil said:

Not that I put too much stick into Steve Smith’s analysis (he actually looks pretty high in that vid) but I am excited about this pick. There were some pundits who were discussing how the combine might propel him into the 2nd round but he obviously missed that chance.

Massive bust potential and I would say there is a real chance he doesn’t really contribute much - but if he’s used right, he could....could add some dynamism to our attack. He’ll definitely at least be a different problem for defenders to have to plan for.

I would hope you don't draft him unless you have a plan for him.

• Like 2

We've got weapons and I love the McCaffery comp if he's seen as a RB. With Jacobs he shouldn't get as many touches but when he does he has the tude to make the most of it. However with all our TE's I expect a run heavy 60/40 to passing attack. So many different ways to attack when passing should keep D cords guessing so the adjustments shouldn't matter as we should have many differing packages. In two seasons Gruden hasn't shown us this on Offense yet but if Billy B had this talent we all know each week you'd see a different plan of attack on Offense. We will see what adjustments Gruden can make with all these players. With two NFL starting QB's there's no excuse. Bowden would be my 3rd emergency QB (in game) if we can leave a guy on the PS as it seems like we can now. Carr, Marcus, Bowden with a Peterman on PS. If we don't have a season at least we've got some hungry dogs who will be ready to fight when the time comes.

I still think the Supplemental Draft will have some serious talent because a lot of families are struggling more now than before the combine and if I decided to return to school I'd probably reconsider that decision if I knew a smaller check now makes sure my family is taken care of now. Though some college donors might give more under the table for a star to stay as no team will probably give up a 1st in the SupDraft. These times are really going to shine a light on the way college athletes are treated as far as getting paid/endorsements etc...

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, raidr4life said:

I can see some sort of NASCAR packages on offense, Ruggs, Bowden, Williams, Waller, and Jacobs in the backfield.

Add in the wrinkle that Bowden is the QB in that set and put either Foster/Witten (more blocking), Booker(dual back sets/wing T options) or Edwards (4WRs/trips combos) on the field as well and we look super versatile. Gruden has to be so excited with Carr really mastering the offense so they can do more, Maritoa adding another level of athlete and a real insurance policy for Carr. Bowden will be Weapon L(do it aLL) plus adding Ruggs, Edwards and Booker to Jacobs, Waller, Williams and Renfrow.