Pick #80 is in: RB/WR/QB, Lynn Bowden, Kentucky

RaidersAreOne

not crazy about this pick. versatility aside, he's a backup RB, who will also compete for some slot reps currently owned by Renfrow. Just struggling to see how he carves out a significant role unless Jacobs gets hurt. The punt returns and overall versatility is nice, but I dont see him being high enough impact to justify being picked here. Loved the Edwards pick, this one not as much.

completely agree with the CBS grades giving this one a C- but the Edwards pick an A

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

not crazy about this pick. versatility aside, he's a backup RB, who will also compete for some slot reps currently owned by Renfrow. Just struggling to see how he carves out a significant role unless Jacobs gets hurt. The punt returns and overall versatility is nice, but I dont see him being high enough impact to justify being picked here. Loved the Edwards pick, this one not as much.

completely agree with the CBS grades giving this one a C- but the Edwards pick an A

We needed a RB2. Bowden can be that for us while also flexing out to the slot, playing wildcat QB, and returning punts. You can bring him out of the backfield to create mismatches with LBs and I'm sure we'll scheme him the ball in space a bunch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I don't think he'll ever have a significant role. Unless it's as a slot WR.  I would consider his backfield role a bit more like James White, but with more juice and wiggle as a runner. 

If you simply look at traditional roles, there's no clear spot for Bowden. But as a punt returner, 3rd RB, occasional slot WR, short yardage option QB, there are way to imagine him helping the team.  If the coaches aren't prepared to get creative with him, then it's not a good pick. 

I was big on the team getting an Antonio Gibson or Lynn Bowden because they cause the DC to make a decision: Who am I assigning to this guy? Bowden  in the backfield, with Ruggs, Tyrell outside, Waller and Moreau on the line. You can run with Bowden from that formation, or he can slide out to slot, screen, jet sweeps......lot of stuff that's already in the playbook can be interesting with him in the backfield. 

Might be 3rd on the team in carries, and 6th in targets. Can make a difference with that.

• Like 1

I think he can end up with 100+ touches between running, receiving and ST as a rookie so i'd say that's enough of an impact for a 3rd round pick. Could get more all purpose yards from him than Ruggs so i'm perfectly fine with that kind of value at this point in the draft.

• Like 2

It's strange to me that the staff envisions him as a runningback. He didn't seem that explosive or quick-footed as a runner. To me, he seems best suited to play slot receiver in the NFL.

I imagine his role will look something like Percy Harvin. That said, Harvin was much more explosive and a much better runner than Bowden.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It's strange to me that the staff envisions him as a runningback. He didn't seem that explosive or quick-footed as a runner. To me, he seems best suited to play slot receiver in the NFL.

I imagine his role will look something like Percy Harvin. That said, Harvin was much more explosive and a much better runner than Bowden.

Fully agreed. I think after a year of trying him at RB, he’s a slot in 2021. His play and skill-set does not suggest RB.

Edited by BayRaider