Pick #80 is in: RB/WR/QB, Lynn Bowden, Kentucky

RaidersAreOne

Guys, I don't post in here much.

But I just wanna say that I'm from Kentucky and I've watched a ton of UK Football.  Trust me, y'all are gonna love Lynn Bowden.  He'll give you everything he's got.

I am absolutely thrilled that he's joining my favorite NFL team!

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How did he get all of that ice as a college player? 

you didn't know the big programs pay off athletes. College sports is a work. I stopped watching College basketball, and don't follow college football like in the past. I still like to tailgate at my old school, but college sports is big business. 

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Also a little concerning going into the season with an RB2 that has never played a snap at the position. 

Both this and pass protection issues are concerning. But I think he is not strictly the RB2. Mayock and Gruden just stated he'll be versatile. Second point I want to make is that someone who can play so many positions so functionally should be able to pick up something like pass protections and excel faster than other typical rookies. And backup fill in RBs can be picked up here and there. We won't have a great back, but you can get a decent spot filler in there easier than at many other positions.

I really like this pick. Read a couple of bits and watched a couple of vids of pundits talking him up in the build up to the combine. They were excited to see how he’d perform speculating that if he shone there it could improve his stock. 

Mcshay said this is in a podcast (not sure if anyone’s posted it):

McShay says he believes Bowden could be drafted as high as the second round, and adds that Bowden’s versatility makes him “today’s NFL guy.”

“I like Lynn. He does a little bit of everything. He’s today’s NFL guy. He can play a little quarterback, play in the slot, play in the backfield. I will be surprised if we get to day three and he’s still on the board. I think he’s going to be late second, early third,” McShay said on the podcast. “He’s one of those guys, the more you study of him, the more you appreciate what he can do in today’s league and how everyone is just an offensive weapon not pigeon-holed into being one thing. That’s what really makes him attractive.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Both this and pass protection issues are concerning. But I think he is not strictly the RB2. Mayock and Gruden just stated he'll be versatile. Second point I want to make is that someone who can play so many positions so functionally should be able to pick up something like pass protections and excel faster than other typical rookies. And backup fill in RBs can be picked up here and there. We won't have a great back, but you can get a decent spot filler in there easier than at many other positions.

I wanted to get through all seven pages of posts before I made a comment.  I don't recall a decent KR/PR on our roster then there's this note:   "Ruggs is a kick returner and Bowden is a punt returner. And we're excited about that." - Mayock.   Another poster said "Not knowing what his role or multi role will be, I don't believe he'll be a mere spot filller.  More often than not he'll be used in a specialty role".  You won't believe what they'll do with him much of which we'll see in the preseason. 

A poster said "Snaps in the wildcat".  He can be lined up as a receiver or RB, take a lateral or hand off and pass to a receiver.  If they think he'll pass and cover the backs he can run and he's certainly better at it than Carr.  Can the opposition defend against this?  It will be difficult if they don't notice him come in.  This can create a handfull of issues they may not be ready for in a matter of seconds.  

44 minutes ago, holyghost said:

As of now he's RB2 though but I agree he'll be moved around. 

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As of now he's RB2 though but I agree he'll be moved around. 

Yep. He's going to be in 2 back formations with jacobs where I guarantee they flex him into the slot. At least sometimes. 

I think he has vision for sure. He's going to need to take time to transition, but at least he has great instincts as a runner and definitely looks like a mid 4.4 guy.

I think between his impact as a punt returner, flexible RB who can catch, backup slot WR, wildcat qb, etc, he will have a lot of utility, especially late in the season if guys get nicked up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep. He's going to be in 2 back formations with jacobs where I guarantee they flex him into the slot. At least sometimes. 

The only concern that I have is that he's currently RB2 and has never played a snap there. I love his versatility but Jacobs played a good portion of the season hurt and eventually had to miss 3 games. God forbid if Jacobs had to miss time this year can Bowden or Richard carry the rock 20+ times? But there are still some solid free agent RB's on the market so hopefully we add someone and carry 4 RB & 5 WR with Bowden being able to play either spot.