Pick #81 is in: WR, Bryan Edwards, South Carolina

RaidersAreOne

On 4/25/2020 at 11:11 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Chiiiiiiill man! Haha.

Wow. He’s now brought up that January quote 10 times in 3 days lol. No idea how trolling doesn’t get people banned. Still can’t stop talking about me even though I have him blocked. Probably has a shrine of me tbh. Every third post is about me, every 5th post is the Carr quote. 

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Contested catches=outside receiver.

Unsure why people think he can't win outside.

Seems like he’d be a better Outside WR than Tyrell. I really love our versatility this year. Ruggs and Tyrell you can put anywhere really. I always dig me some Renfrow but Edwards and Ruggs on the outside with Tyrell playing the slot, something he played in LA quite a bit, seems like a pretty scary 3 WR set. Tyrell has always been more of finesse  guy, even though he’s tall. Not a contested catch guy. Although Tyrell would dunk on small Nickel CBs all day with his height. Not to mention his 4.4 speed. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Damn.. 2nd best drill-catch I’ve seen this off season behind Lambs Pro-Day one. 

Edwards is pretty amazing at one-handed catches. 

Highlight videos can't really be used to determine if I guy will succeed at the NFL level, but man can they be a treat to watch. And Edward's highlight video is one of the best I have seen in recent memory for guys entering into the NFL. He makes some truly ridiculous contested catches. 

I think he's going to be a very very productive WR wherever we put him. I think he'll play outside a lot, but he'll also have situations where he'll line up in the slot and feast. He isn't slow when I watch him but he likely isn't a guy that makes a ton of game breaking long plays down the field but he's going to catch a ton of passes, pick up first downs, and I think he'll be a nightmare in the red zone. 

Edward's and his skill set make me really hopeful that we will see Carr take more 50/50 shots. He used to absolutely love the back shoulder fade when we had Crabtree and I'm hoping with a big physical guy with strong hands that Carr will incorporate that back into his game more. It's possible we just haven't seen it because since Crabtree left we haven't had anyone on the roster where you could say that decision offers a moderately decent chance at success or being the best option during the play. We've had a bunch of guys I didn't totally trust catching passes wide open. Edward's definitely has the ability and skill set to thrive in that role and make it a viable option in the passing game at times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, massraider said:

Bunch formation with Waller inside, Tyrell outside, and Bowden at slot, and Ruggs all by himself opposite side.

Matchup problems.......

Let Ruggs take that CB and S deep and the other three guys from the opposite side work towards the left where Ruggs was, with now open field to work with. 

Sounds like a nice formation. Ruggs III speed must be respected at all times just like Tyreek Hill and Will Fuller. People don’t realize how average the Chief Offense was without Hill. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Let Ruggs take that CB and S deep and the other three guys from the opposite side work towards the left where Ruggs was, with now open field to work with. 

Sounds like a nice formation. Ruggs III speed must be respected at all times just like Tyreek Hill and Will Fuller. People don’t realize how average the Chief Offense was without Hill. 

Imagining the screens and jet sweeps with Bowden, Waller on wheel routes, Ruggs dragging across (funny, that might the most successful consistently), and Jacobs on a run up the gut of a spread out defense.  Waller is really so important in a set like that. 

I mean, you have to run zone against that, right?

• Like 1

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with playing with a 3* true freshman QB but something interesting stats from Edwards last 

• 3 drops on 107 targets (2%).

• Only hauled in 6/13 of his contested catch opportunities.

• 36/71 receptions last season were screen passes.

• Only hauled in 4/17 of his targets 20+ yards down the field..

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with playing with a 3* true freshman QB but something interesting stats from Edwards last 

• 3 drops on 107 targets (2%).

• Only hauled in 6/13 of his contested catch opportunities.

• 36/71 receptions last season were screen passes.

• Only hauled in 4/17 of his targets 20+ yards down the field..

I was very critical of Edwards prior to draft.  But only cuz he was being placed in a category with WR that were better than him and ultimately were drafted relatively higher (Pittman+Higgins mainly).

i used those arguments many times to prop up my preferred players.  Now just cause I use them as my argument doesn’t necessarily mean they show the whole picture lol.

Edwards was 6/13 on contested catches but I think all 6 were ESPN Top 10 type plays.  I say that jokingly.  But he’s proven he has a large large catch radius plus he doesn’t just have nice hands, he can make insane 1 handed grabs.  Without having tape of all 13 passes I’d be willing to put 5 of the 7 missed contested catches on great CB play or bad passes.  Edwards actually excels in contested catches.  Ask Amik Robertson.  Edwards looked like Lebron going for dunk on him.  Poor Amik didn’t have a chance.  In his defense he drifted off a nearby receiver.  

I think Edwards can be a very nice starting xWR.  He’s very good at getting off the line.  He’s got an ideal xWR build and speed.  But.... he’s going to need to be developed.  He’s not “raw” in the normal sense of the word.  He’s under developed.  He’s shown he has all the skills, he just wasn’t used often enough in a role like the one he will used in the NFL.   He doesn’t need to develop skills (more so than any rookie) he needs to get repetition and be used correctly.

I think there a distinct possibility that if Edwards was at USC/Clemson playing Pittman/Higgin’s role he’d be looked at as a late first, early second round pick like they were.

i preferred Pittman and Higgins to Edwards only because of the unknown variable Of Edwards projection to a more classic NFL xWR role.  Also, Pittman and Higgins ultimately went high 2nd.  But for a pick at #81 Edwards is a really nice xWR prospect.  Athletically he’s everything you could want.  He looks like a hyper athletic SF out there.  He looks to have a crazy vertical from some of his highlight catches.

Also, I don’t think Edwards is only a outside WR.  He could see snaps as a big slot WR.  With his build and speed he can offer more than just short to intermediate routes.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1