D&D and Other Tabletop RPGs

pwny

Think you pretty much nailed it @fretgod99. Was leaning towards a possible nefarious end to parents, but didn't want to lend TOO much to it.

To answer your questions:

• Traditional fighter, leans towards Monk/Eastern Hemisphere style of fighting.
  • Training from his youth
  • Didn't take on the mindset of forsaking everything. If he can get himself a nice staff and some loot, he wouldn't say NO...

Overall, is this something to work with? Do I pare it down or build it up more?

Never played cause none of my friends were interested when I was younger. Definitely something I'd be into. My wife wants to play sometime too. We have a friend who has some experience so if he could get his wife to play he said he'd show us the ropes. I'll be following this thread.

No, that's very workable. And the point with backstory is to give you an idea on who you want your character to be. Also, having things like "parents died seemingly naturally but nobody ever really looked into it" is perfect. It's enough to give you and a GM room to potentially incorporate that aspect into the larger story if it fits or it can just be a background detail if it can't be worked in or you decide it's not something you feel like pursuing. So don't feel like you need to have all your details really hammered out. Give yourself and your GM a good idea of who this character is, how they got there, and (maybe) where they might go in the future. Also, feel free to share as much or as little with your party as you want. Maybe they're from the same town so they'd know a lot already. Maybe you had to go somewhere completely different to understand who you are, so you're a relative stranger to those you now find yourself traveling with.

It's good. Not completely open-ended. There's some direction there, but with a lot of wiggle room and play space. Sounds fun!

I'm tempted to run a thing, but I'd want to do 5th Ed. since that's what more people here are familiar with. Since I've never played it before, don't know that it'd be good to jump in behind the screen. Plus, time and all that. But I imagine having all the room and planned encounter descriptions ready to go before hand like they do in most adventure paths/pregenerated quests would make things go relatively smoothly. Hell, running a pregen to start would probably be the easiest.

You played any of D&D 5th's organized play?

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, I play Adventure League rules every week.

I'm thinking some of the low-level organized play style quests might be a decent way to get some uninitiated players introduced to the rules and all that. Plus it's not a huge time investment on anybody's part to get it going initially. Unless you had bigger and better things planned.

Archived