Round 3, Pick 75: Jonah Jackson

TL-TwoWinsAway

The Lions traded up for the OG out of Ohio State. Compensation: The Lions gave up their first of two fifth-round picks, No. 149, and a sixth-rounder (No. 182) to move up 10 spots in the deal. They received a sixth-rounder (No. 197) in return. 

For what it's worth, PFF is absolutely in love with Jackson, believing that he'll be a "slam dunk" for a team in the 3rd round.

Information from Senior Bowl Day 2 Practice:

Ohio State OG Jonah Jackson

Jackson might be the only offensive lineman in attendance this week to not have a convincing loss in the one-on-ones. His independent hand usage has been nothing short of elite this week. The ability to latch and not let go is something that you love to see from an interior lineman. His build may not be the most impressive, but the tape is.

We needed to grab an IOL piece at some point, and I know we were looking at them with Pick #85 in FFMD. If Quinn felt the need to move up for him, he clearly 1) loves the player, and 2) felt he may not make it to #85.

Thoughts?

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The Lions' traded up for the OG out of Ohio State. Compensation: The Lions gave up their first of two fifth-round picks, No. 149, and a sixth-rounder (No. 182) to move up 10 spots in the deal. They received a sixth-rounder (No. 197) in return. 

For what it's worth, PFF is absolutely in love with Jackson, believing that he'll be a "slam dunk" for a team in the 3rd round.

Information from Senior Bowl Day 2 Practice:

Ohio State OG Jonah Jackson

Jackson might be the only offensive lineman in attendance this week to not have a convincing loss in the one-on-ones. His independent hand usage has been nothing short of elite this week. The ability to latch and not let go is something that you love to see from an interior lineman. His build may not be the most impressive, but the tape is.

We needed to grab an IOL piece at some point, and I know we were looking at them with Pick #85 in FFMD. If Quinn felt the need to move up for him, he clearly 1) loves the player, and 2) felt he may not make it to #85.

Thoughts?

The Lions desperately need oline help. They saw him up close at the senior bowl. He wasn’t on my radar but that doesn’t mean much. The NFL prospect list had him at 110 FWIW. 

At this point we just have to trust Quinn. If he makes an improvement to the line it’s a great pick.

• Like 1

I do like him as a player.  I had other OGs rated higher and I’m not sure we needed to trade up but I do like the player.  I still want to grab another IOL with our next pick.  I would love for us to grab Kindley or Biadasz with our next pick.  We’d have depth and serious competition for the RG spot.

• Like 4

The only issue I'm having isn't with the player, but the rationale behind his skillset at the Vaitai signing. I believed that getting Vaitai, a strong run-blocker that struggles in pass-protection, was a sign that we wanted to move more towards big, strong run-blockers, but Jonah seems to contradict that, as he's not overly big for the position, and his strength seems to be pass-protection.

I'm hoping that they go back to OLine in the 4th.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The only issue I'm having isn't with the player, but the rationale behind his skillset at the Vaitai signing. I believed that getting Vaitai, a strong run-blocker that struggles in pass-protection, was a sign that we wanted to move more towards big, strong run-blockers, but Jonah seems to contradict that, as he's not overly big for the position, and his strength seems to be pass-protection.

My problem isn’t even Vaitais skill set but the money we gave him. No way you can justify $10M per for someone who might not start, even out of position.

I don’t judge Jonah Jackson’s pick differently because they panicked in free agency though. He was a good pick right at a spot that he was good value. I also hope we double up on OL today. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

My problem isn’t even Vaitais skill set but the money we gave him. No way you can justify $10M per for someone who might not start, even out of position.

I don’t judge Jonah Jackson’s pick differently because they panicked in free agency though. He was a good pick right at a spot that he was good value. I also hope we double up on OL today. 

But, Vatai is not being paid 10 mil per year. The contract is up to 45 mil for 5 years, but it is only guaranteed at 20 mil through 2021. A lot of guaranteed cabbage, but not the contract we initially thought when signed. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:13 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Would you rather we took another guy who struggles in pass pro but can run block? 

I think its smart. Yeah we wanna run the ball but we also want to keep 9 upright. Ideally we'd have all-pros across the front but that's not feasible.

2 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

Would you rather we took another guy who struggles in pass pro but can run block? 

I think its smart. Yeah we wanna run the ball but we also want to keep 9 upright. Ideally we'd have all-pros across the front but that's not feasible.

Well, no, not really. I'd love to have a bunch of OLinemen that do both extremely well. My comment was intended to say more about Vaitai than Jonah: I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with starting a RT that struggles (immensely) in pass protection if we're not planning on shifting to more of a run-oriented offense. (I guess that's where Hockenson could come into play.)