3.89 - MIN: Cameron Dantzler DB/Mississippi State

RpMc

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

...though to be fair,  considering the title is about Dantzler's "alleged lack of speed", the only clip here that shows his long speed is the go route from Chase (LSU), a great college receiver but not the fastest guy in the league.

The coverage skills he shows contesting quick in-breaking routes is very encouraging. That's NFL quality stuff.

Yeah I noticed the l lack of highlights covering deep when I watched earlier too. I could have sworn I saw a stat on draft weekend that Dantzler only gave up something like ten receptions of 10+ yards in his last two seasons or something like that. Maybe someone knows or can confirm?

Essentially whatever big concerns one has with his speed, there is very little evidence on tape that shows he consistently had a problem being a step slow or getting beat deep.

5 minutes ago, whitehops said:

Yeah I noticed the l lack of highlights covering deep when I watched earlier too. I could have sworn I saw a stat on draft weekend that Dantzler only gave up something like ten receptions of 10+ yards in his last two seasons or something like that. Maybe someone knows or can confirm?

Essentially whatever big concerns one has with his speed, there is very little evidence on tape that shows he consistently had a problem being a step slow or getting beat deep.

Here's all of Dantzler's targets in 2019:

Only 3 deep (20+ yard) completions, all despite him being in good position. He's in good position on a couple of deep incompletions as well. 

One intermediate (10-20 yard) completion, on a pick / rub route combination in the Ole Miss game.

Everything else completed was underneath, including a few routes he wasn't really contesting (clock killing situation). 

There are a couple complete games on YouTube -- he doesn't get targeted much, and doesn't allow many catches when he does. He'll be good as long as his physical / athletic profile translates to the NFL. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Cam is pretty much the only one I see being posted about social media and everyone is raving about him

This kid might be good....

Jefferson is getting a lot of love too. However, Cam has been nonstop lately. It remind me of the year Greg Childs was blowing up camp pre-injury.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Jefferson is getting a lot of love too. However, Cam has been nonstop lately. It remind me of the year Greg Childs was blowing up camp pre-injury.  

Man...I was sick over Greg Childs double knee injury!  He looked as if he was going to set the league on fire.  Ugh...I felt so bad for him.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Man...I was sick over Greg Childs double knee injury!  He looked as if he was going to set the league on fire.  Ugh...I felt so bad for him.

I felt worse for Charles Gordon, because he had shown signs of having some talent.  Childs never really even got a chance to show what he could do since he got injured right out of the gate.  

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Cameron Dantzler was an awesome pick. I like this group of CBs wayyy more than the previous group. 

Yeah they have some fight and spunk to them.  Gladney and Dantzler especially and I like how both of them can tackle pretty well and Hand has done well also.  Considering Holton Hill has been out and Mike Hughes for weeks and they basically only have rookies out there at corner, it is impressive how well they have done overall.  Boyd has done decent as well for a 2nd year player, but needs really improve on special teams, he makes a lot of mistakes.  Chisena at least looks quite legit for long term as a special teams gunner.  

Still was surprised Dantzler pulled the ball to cause that fumble, that was impressive, or the pass catcher just was not paying attention and just kind of let it go.  Sadly with how much the Vikings turned it over themselves it kind of eliminated those key turnovers the Vikings defense caused.