Our Current Cowboy Roster (so far)

D82

12 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Still waiting for them to add one more veteran piece to the defense. Either Griffin/Clowney (prefer the latter) or one of the safeties, Reshad Jones/Tony Jefferson. But, this roster is definitely in a very good place for a serious playoff run.....

.....which tbh, I hate saying. Been snake bit so many times I should know better. 

I expect a veteran or two to be cut and/or added later on in the summer.  I'm not saying anything re expectations.  I'm excited but my message to the team would be something like yes we have a new staff and that's exciting. Yes we had a great draft.  Quite frankly the draft could not have gone better.  However, until we start proving otherwise we are still an underachieving team that limped to an 8-8 finish and missed the playoffs last year.  The tools are there.  Now go out and show us what you have.

The roster has been in a position for a deep playoff run. Between curious (to put it nicely) coaching decisions during the games, odd playcalling both offensively and defensively and ultimately lackluster execution on the part of the men on the field, last season was a dumpster fire.

What I see with the roster changes this year unfortunately is the same as in the past. Top heavy talent, subpar depth, and a team that will rely heavily on its top players and struggle when the bit players have to step up. We as fans are lucky enough they have added good depth at receiver with Lamb, so if you take away Cooper or he comes up lame for a game.or two we still have an outlet out there. But other than that, the same problem exists. Top tier players at key positions with subpar bit players who may cause issues when those top players are taken out of the equation either schematically or by injury.

I do see where this isn't a widely accepted belief among the fans, but let's remember that just because you know the lineup of names does not mean they are effective players behind those top guys. Depth is the key to today's NFL. Those middle roster and back roster guys are the bulk of the team and they need to be capable, and to be put in a position schematically to come through in key moments. Maybe schematically they will be in a better position, but when the chips are all in and we need to rely on a LB not named Vander esch or Smith to make a stop, or rely on a runner not named Elliott to grind out a third down, or when we have to count on our 4th corner to swat away a ball that could win the game for the opponent, I do not like this team's chances.

19 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'm still holding out hope that we sign someone like Griffen or Clowney. I like Crawford, guy is a solid player against the run...but he isn't much of a threat rushing the passer. We need that, even if we can get Smith and Gregory back and they don't miss a beat - you can never have enough guys capable of rushing the QB.

It really think this is a no-brainer for us. 

They both would likely want a 1-year deal so they can have an opportunity to cash in next offseason. We can afford it and have a big need at the position (both guys might even be upgrades on Quinn, even). And it's very possible either one would land us a solid comp pick when they leave next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It really think this is a no-brainer for us. 

They both would likely want a 1-year deal so they can have an opportunity to cash in next offseason. We can afford it and have a big need at the position (both guys might even be upgrades on Quinn, even). And it's very possible either one would land us a solid comp pick when they leave next year. 

Yup. Plus, given Gregory's issues...and I guess Smith as well, we could extend one or both if they show enough this season but neither would prohibit us from taking a DE high in the draft or signing a young FA should one become available. 

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

Yup. Plus, given Gregory's issues...and I guess Smith as well, we could extend one or both if they show enough this season but neither would prohibit us from taking a DE high in the draft or signing a young FA should one become available. 

Yeah, honestly, give me all the pass rushers. I hope Gregory and Smith are studs this year. Pair them with Tank and Griffen and let's rock. Figure out next year later.

• Like 1

Taking a look at the roster we have under contract over the next 3 seasons and including only players under contract and clearly appear to be in the Cowboys plans as starters, based on contract, draft status, or signalling. It looks like we have a fairly unique opportunity for high-level continuity with only DE and Safety as the main long-term question marks (though perhaps someone already on the roster like Donavan Wilson or Gregory/Smith/Anae could ease those concerns).

2020 2021 2022
QB Dak Prescott (Dak Prescott) (Dak Prescott)
RB Ezekiel Elliott Ezekiel Elliott Ezekiel Elliott
WR Amari Cooper Amari Cooper Amari Cooper
WR CeeDee Lamb CeeDee Lamb CeeDee Lamb
WR Michael Gallup Michael Gallup  
TE Blake Jarwin Blake Jarwin Blake Jarwin
LT Tyron Smith Tyron Smith Tyron Smith
LG Connor McGovern Connor McGovern Connor McGovern
C Connor Williams(?) Tyler Biadasz (?) Tyler Biadasz
RG Zach Martin Zach Martin Zach Martin
RT La'El Collins La'El Collins La'El Collins

DE Tank Lawrence Tank Lawrence Tank Lawrence
3T Gerald McCoy Gerald McCoy Neville Gallimore
1T Dontari Poe Dontari Poe  
DE      
LB Jaylon Smith Jaylon Smith Jaylon Smith
LB LVE LVE LVE
CB Trevon Diggs Trevon Diggs Trevon Diggs
CB   Reggie Robinson Reggie Robinson
NCB Anthony Brown Anthony Brown Anthony Brown
S Xavier Woods    
S Ha Ha Clinton Dix (?)  
Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Even with Dak wanting what he wants??

We're paying Dak $31.5MM right now. They can restructure a couple contracts and have close to about $30MM+ in cap space. 

Stop. Worrying. About. The. Cap. 

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

We're paying Dak $31.5MM right now. They can restructure a couple contracts and have close to about $30MM+ in cap space. 

Stop. Worrying. About. The. Cap. 

Keeping on restructuring contracts every year and pushing everything back will definitely backfire one day. I for one wish the team would stop doing this. 

Just now, buddy_z34 said:

Keeping on restructuring contracts every year and pushing everything back will definitely backfire one day. I for one wish the team would stop doing this. 

For the most part, they have. But one or two here and there with an ever expanding salary cap won't kill you if you manage it right. 

• Like 1

The Saints are a team that most say have no cap space every year, yet they're able to manipulate it to sign the guys they want. There are other examples. Dallas is one of them. Smart front offices know how to manipulate the cap. We've got that. Stop worrying. 

19 minutes ago, D82 said:

The Saints are a team that most say have no cap space every year, yet they're able to manipulate it to sign the guys they want. There are other examples. Dallas is one of them. Smart front offices know how to manipulate the cap. We've got that. Stop worrying. 

Being a diehard fan of the Cowboys and asking them to not worry doesnt seem to go hand in hand lol