Patriots draft Devin Asiasi pick 91

DoleINGout

15 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Giving up 139 and 172 for pick 159 and only moving up nine spots. The player is alright, but trade and value wasn't.

Well, is giving up 139 and 172 really that bad for a TE who can both block and receive to a pretty good level? I was underwhelmed at first, but I'd really recommend watching more tape on him - it's surprising he wasn't valued higher than Kmet, to be honest. I'm ok giving that up for a TE that will be TE1 right away and is better than Kmet, Trautman and all the other receiving-only TEs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, is giving up 139 and 172 really that bad for a TE who can both block and receive to a pretty good level?

In this draft, yes. It is poor evaluation of your own pick value. And jumping up from 100 to 91... I mean we don't know but it was a good chance that Asiasi wasn't going to be off the board anyways. I get it as far as securing your prospect if that's what it was, but it was hasty IMO.

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

good chance that Asiasi wasn't going to be off the board anyways

Dole there is no way you can say this.

You can't be in any position to make that claim. I have to believe the Pats knew what was happening more than any of us will ever know.  I had Devin Asiasi as the best TE in the draft and we got him in the 3rd RD.

Picks and value doesn't matter to me or where others grade players. What matters to me, your picks make the team and play well on. EX You pick 7 guys they all make the team and play well on offense and defense. 

Also IMO,  a ST  (non K/P) player is a bad choice in the draft if he can't play on O/D. There are exception however they are not worth a pick. EX Slater who might not have been drafted if the Pats didn't pick him. 

I don't want to waste lets say (multiple drafts)100,  7th rd picks to just find one Slater.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Reminded me of Aaron Hernandez and now I am reading this from your article...

"I think they hit a grand slam, but he fell to them for a reason. He was suspended. The character is concerning. (Editor’s note: Asiasi was suspended for three games to start the 2018 season for a violation of team rules.)"

20 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Reminded me of Aaron Hernandez and now I am reading this from your article...

"I think they hit a grand slam, but he fell to them for a reason. He was suspended. The character is concerning. (Editor’s note: Asiasi was suspended for three games to start the 2018 season for a violation of team rules.)"

Didn't know that. But if that's the reason he wasn't picked earlier, makes me even more confident that we got the best overall TE selection. 

As for the Bennett comp - Bennett was a far better prospect, really. He beat Asiasi in every metric in terms of testing. Looks slower than Asiasi, but actually ran a faster 40. 6'7 vs 6'3, 34 inch jump vs 30. I guess for the two-way play (blocking and recieving) they can compare

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't know that. But if that's the reason he wasn't picked earlier, makes me even more confident that we got the best overall TE selection. 

As for the Bennett comp - Bennett was a far better prospect, really. He beat Asiasi in every metric in terms of testing. Looks slower than Asiasi, but actually ran a faster 40. 6'7 vs 6'3, 34 inch jump vs 30. I guess for the two-way play (blocking and recieving) they can compare

How Bennett was used and played is very similar to Asiasi from what I see. And the speed Bennett had at the combine versus by the time with the Patriots and on the field versus a track is very similar. Hence the comparison.

Edited by DoleINGout

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

In fairness, it was Chip Kelly...Not exactly known for being the most likable coach. Apparently Asiasi and a handful of others broke undisclosed team rules, got 3 games a piece. Another player said “they know what they did” and that “it’s between them and coach”, so it’s the PC answer but I’m reasonably optimistic it wasn’t that bad of an issue (probably just hoping).

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

In fairness, it was Chip Kelly...Not exactly known for being the most likable coach. Apparently Asiasi and a handful of others broke undisclosed team rules, got 3 games a piece. Another player said “they know what they did” and that “it’s between them and coach”, so it’s the PC answer but I’m reasonably optimistic it wasn’t that bad of an issue (probably just hoping).

This might give you more hope in DA pick.  As I said earlier he was IMO the best TE in the draft. 

Chip Kelly’s connection with Belichick is strong. It’s an obvious tie, and no doubt played a role in Asiasi being on the Patriots’ radar. Kelly, who has bounced between NFL and college jobs, coached UCLA the past few years, and is someone Belichick trusts. His word undoubtedly held a lot of weight.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/05/patriots-tight-end-makeover-starts-with-uclas-devin-asiasi/

• Like 1