2020 Draft Pick #92 - Devin Duvernay

coordinator0

Don't underestimate the effect Hollywood will have on him. Marquise is a phenom at the position and has an incredible drive to improve technically. This isn't like before where young guys would come into a room full of bums. He can grow together with Brown and Boykin. 

• Like 1

The Ravens keep picking up some of my favorite players (Jackson, Ingram, Duvernay) and have become my second favorite team. Here's a lengthy write up I did about Duvernay in the draft forum. I think this is a great landing spot for him to utilize his skillset and should be able to produce early on for the Ravens.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, tyler735 said:

I feel like one prospect who has flown under the radar a bit is Devin Duvernay. He's one of my favorite sleeper prospects in the draft this year.  Draft sites are all over the board with him as I've seen him recently being projected as high as the 2nd round, and as low as being undrafted. He's a prospect I'd be thrilled to see the Saints get with their 3rd round pick, and think in most drafts he should be viewed as a 2nd round caliber prospect, but with the draft being so deep this year I could seem him dropping to the 3rd, and possibly even the 4th round. He is one of the more unique WR prospects this year, which is likely why his rankings seem to be all over the place. He has a ton to like about him, but there are certainly some concerns with his game as well. I do however think these concerns aren't significant enough to pass on all the positives he brings as a prospect. 

Some of the main positives to his game are:

Explosiveness- He ran in the 4.3's at the combine, and has run the 100m as fast as 10.27 in the 100m, which for those don't follow track is an excellent time. For reference Marquise Goodwin ran a 10.29 100m and is one of the fastest players currently in the NFL. His fastest recorded MPH is 22.5, which would also be among the fastest recorded by any NFL player. More importantly then all of those numbers however is that he has shown he can utilize this explosiveness effectively on the field. He has shown the ability to both beat teams deep and take the quick pass the distance if given a crease.

Hands- He caught 105 passes this past season with only 3 dropped passes. For his entire 4 year career he only had 5 dropped passes (3 dropped passes in 2019, which gave him one of the best dropped pass rates in NCAA). He is up near the top of the list in this draft class when it comes to hands. He has shown he can fight through contact and make contested catches. He also has made some highlight reel catches throughout his time at Texas. He isn't a body catcher, and plucks the ball well out of the air with his hands.

Physicality- He is built like a RB, and doesn't really have the typical WR body type. He has used that to his advantage, as he is has been excellent with the ball in his hands after the catch. He doesn't shy away from contact, and effectively utilizes his combo of strength/explosiveness to create after the catch. He led the NCAA in Yards After Catch this past season with 719. He also was 3rd in the NCAA in yards after contact with 352. He also forced the 2nd most missed tackles in the NCAA with 22.

Other notables- He has shown to be durable throughout his college career and hasn't had any injury issues. Is viewed as a high character guy, and was named captain. He had some of his best production against the best competition he faced. His game against National Championship winning LSU may have been his best game of the year. 

Negatives- As mentioned above he is built a bit like a RB, which can have it's Pros and Cons, despite having all that explosiveness, he isn't nearly as fluid in his routes/making cuts as some of the other top WR's such as guys like Jeudy, or Hamler. Duvernay's route running in general is also not nearly advanced as some of the other top prospects and he primarily worked out of the slot this past season.

Typically the lack of route running would be a kiss of death as a prospect, but given his combination of explosiveness, superb hands, and physicality, I think he can still be a dangerous WR in the NFL. I think a team such as the Saints would be able to mask some of his deficiencies, and play well into his strengths. I've seen Duvernay compared to players such as Deebo Samuel, which seems like a good comparison in terms of physicality, but Duvernay also has an extra gear that a guy like Samuel doesn't possess to take the top off a defense. I think whoever drafts Duvernay is going to get themselves a steal if he makes it the 3rd/4th round. I don't think he will ever be a true dominant #1 type WR, but I could see him being a very good #2 for a team.

Obligatory highlight vid:

• Like 12