2020 Draft Pick #92 - Devin Duvernay

coordinator0

16 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Damn, @tyler735 that's a good write up. Hope we can get a lot out of him for you. 

Agreed. Makes me excited to take another look at him.

As of right now my opinion of him is as a supercharged rich man’s Michael Campanaro, which might essentially be a faster Christian Kirk. Which is certainly not a terrible opinion... I just had designs of us coming out of this draft class with a potential pro bowl level player at the WR position. Not sure that’s who Duvernay is and can be. Wasn’t a fan of Christian Kirk coming out and that’s perhaps why I’m not the biggest fan of Duvernay.

I’ll need to revisit his tape. In the highlight reel there were more deep bombs than what I remember him having.

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. Makes me excited to take another look at him.

As of right now my opinion of him is as a supercharged rich man’s Michael Campanaro, which might essentially be a faster Christian Kirk. Which is certainly not a terrible opinion... I just had designs of us coming out of this draft class with a potential pro bowl level player at the WR position. Not sure that’s who Duvernay is and can be. Wasn’t a fan of Christian Kirk coming out and that’s perhaps why I’m not the biggest fan of Duvernay.

I’ll need to revisit his tape. In the highlight reel there were more deep bombs than what I remember him having.

Reading some of his scouting reports, seems like he gives Much more as a blocker than either of those two

Duvernay's scheme fit for us is monstrous. PFF had him as the best WR in the nation on slant routes- just like they did his frequent comp Deebo Samuel the year prior. You can tell why the FO loved him so much. Tough, sure handed, and explosive after after the catch. Another beastly MOF target for Lamar to grow with. I can't wait to see some of the tandem routes they have planned for him and Hollywood.

• Like 6

Always hard to tell with college wideouts who produced out of limited route trees whether that's because they couldn't do much else or because of limitations of the systems and their coaches landing on a simple way to make them produce and deciding to stick with that. With Duvernay though it does seem to be that that there are real issues with his route-running that need to be refined and worked out. 

Feels like there's a lot of Deebo Samuel in Duvernay and expect Roman to use him in a similar way manufacturing touches for him with screen passes and end-arounds to get him involved early. I just hope he can develop his route-running and offer us a more well-rounded option, more Golden Tate than Tavon Austin.  

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

4 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Always hard to tell with college wideouts who produced out of limited route trees whether that's because they couldn't do much else or because of limitations of the systems and their coaches landing on a simple way to make them produce and deciding to stick with that. With Duvernay though it does seem to be that that there are real issues with his route-running that need to be refined and worked out. 

Feels like there's a lot of Deebo Samuel in Duvernay and expect Roman to use him in a similar way manufacturing touches for him with screen passes and end-arounds to get him involved early. I just hope he can develop his route-running and offer us a more well-rounded option, more Golden Tate than Tavon Austin.  

Could definitely see some creativity from Roman here. For example, putting Duvernay in end-around motion, running the read option like normal, then having Duvernay available to trail Jackson in a triple-option type look. A lot of trickery you can run off that pre-snap movement.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don't like the comparison to Tate. Physical stature (and physical playing style) with strong hands is about it as far as prospects and how Tate has progressed in his career. The bit about Golden being a better and more savvy route runner isn't a small thing. It's how he has done his work against NFL secondaries. Duvernay is obviously far more limited in that particular area. It's also not how he has or probably will succeed against coverage.

I know the 40 times are close but the actual on-field performance isn't. Tate never looked or played like a 4.42 receiver. That's not his game, but it is Devin's. Speed is going to be a huge part of how he's going to succeed in the NFL. I mean, it would be nice if route running became a big plus but his more linear restrictions probably make that unlikely. Otherwise Devin might have been considered an elite prospect. I'm still a big fan of his but there are limitations when it comes to him. 

His route running is supposedly a weakness but I feel like from the slot, especially on RPOs that can be mitigated in a way that he seriously contributes as a rookie.

Duvernay is supposedly a beast after the catch so I feel like those shallower catches on the play action and run read plays he will be in space a lot against defensive backs as they’re forced to make a play. I like the potential there as a chain mover for sure, turning short 6-8 yard gimme passes in the middle into first downs. Hopefully he pans out to play a role similar to Willie Snead as an ol’ faithful, only with a lot more burst.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1