3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

No idea where people are getting mediocre athlete.  He put up a very nice combine and he plays up to his numbers.  He might not be special athletically, but you don't need to be a freak to be a good NFL player.  He's athletic enough to be an effective downfield target in the right scheme, and that's really all you need.  Plus, he brings the right sort of crazy to the role, which can be a boost in the right situations.

I think this is a case of people being blinded by draft profiles.  Everything from his tape to his workouts to even his production says this is a solid pick who probably is closer to a 3rd round talent than a 6th.  Maybe this pick was a bit of a reach, but you never really know in the draft and I do think he's a player that could play a fair number of reps at FB this year, along for subbing in on the move role when you need a better blocker there or Jace needs a series off.  Long term I think he's a guy that you can do a bunch of good stuff with, and will probably be the kind of player who's undervalued by fans until he leaves and suddenly there's an "unexpected" drop off in a bunch of different areas.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Will probably be the kind of player who's undervalued by fans until he leaves and suddenly there's an "unexpected" drop off in a bunch of different areas.

Just look at the difference in the 49ers offense with and without Juszczyk. 

5 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

We knew we’d be looking at a TE that fit MLf’s offense. This is top shelf for this kind of player. He’s gonna be THEE guy moving pre-snap for us quite often. Leaves Sternberger on a route. He can’t tote the rock like Juszcyk but I guess if you are building that offense and you like a guy A LOT for that role LONG term then let’s do it.

Juszczyk doesn’t tote the rock much though (3 times last year and 25 career carries). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit?usp=sharing

Hey guys, one of our editors made three more cuts for Josiah Deguara last night.

Just click on the TE tab, clock on "TAPE" for him to view all 5 of his cuts - all snaps - not just highlights. 

Edited by CalhounLambeau
  • Like 2

On a good year, I don't put much stock in the media boards. This year I put even less than normal. They are the ones that are "wrong" yet insist that they have the better ratings. Impossible, the media has less information to work with than the teams. Sure some teams are dumb consistently, but there is no reason to assume the Packers have suddenly joined them.

It's obvious that they want more of a power run game. I'm not sure this is all that new. McCarthy preferred Williams to Jones significantly. I also see the logic behind running 2 TE base. A balanced formation makes the defense pick a strong side. This kid looks smooth and like he can play. I prefer 3 WR, personally, but many teams have shown 2 TE can work just as well.

I don't know enough about this guy to say much. He looks like he can play. From what little I've watched, he looks decent enough for the pick.

Am I overjoyed with this draft class? No its not my ideal scenario, but I definitely see a cohesive logic.

• Like 1