3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Both second year in an offense and third year in the NFL are relevant to the conversation. 

There's an adjustment period to the complexity of schemes and concepts as well as the day to day responsibilities that come with being a professional that are universal across schemes.

And if that light turns on for Tonyan it’ll be a pleasant surprise.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What NFL level does Tonyan do anything at? He's an annual training camp tease who offers little as a pro.

Actually expecting Baylis to give Tonyan a run for his money for the No. 4 TE spot. Baylis actually probably offers you more an an in-line guy and we need a No. 2 there behind Lewis. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Irv Smith Jr is 18 months YOUNGER than Josiah Deguara is and that 40 matters at TE. 

Smith Jr. was a starter and a difference maker for a national runner up Bama team as a true junior. Deguara only played in 7 games and had 11 catches his red shirt sophomore year in the AAC.

Ya, the 40 matters, that’s why I pointed it out. But so do all the other athletics that Deguara beat Smith at.

Being younger is a bonus, but if you’re taking good players off your board because they’re 18 months younger, it’s probably a bad strategy. 

No ones saying Deguara is a better prospect than Smith but he’s got some athletic potential.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What NFL level does Tonyan do anything at? He's an annual training camp tease who offers little as a pro.

Which is pretty much my point. Tonyan is perfectly capable of running across the formation and cutting down a DE on the counter lead. He's perfectly capable of being an occupy lead blocker out of the I. 

I don't think you need to spend a draft pick to get that skillset. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya, the 40 matters, that’s why I pointed it out. But so do all the other athletics that Deguara beat Smith at.

Being younger is a bonus, but if you’re taking good players off your board because they’re 18 months younger, it’s probably a bad strategy. 

No ones saying Deguara is a better prospect than Smith but he’s got some athletic potential.

Where?

He's small for an inline guy. He's slow and short for a move guy. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is pretty much my point. Tonyan is perfectly capable of running across the formation and cutting down a DE on the counter lead. He's perfectly capable of being an occupy lead blocker out of the I. 

I don't think you need to spend a draft pick to get that skillset. 

So when you watched Deguara’s games that’s all you saw he was capable of?

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

You are exactly right. I don't watch much film. This is a hobby, I don't have time for it. But you don't have to watch much tape to see Deguara's athleticism.

How can someone watch Daguara out run the Bruins secondary to get in-front of and tackle a CB from behind, then call him slow?- lol!... The answer is you can't. It's just agenda driven nonsense.

Deguara has a lot of athletic potential for the Packers.

Edited by Donzo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, deathstar said:

So when you watched Deguara’s games that’s all you saw he was capable of?

I think he's capable of plenty of things. I just don't see him doing any of them at a plus NFL level. 

Looking at the list of tasks required by a TE/H Back, which does he project to excel at?

19 minutes ago, Donzo said:

You are exactly right. I don't watch much film. This is a hobby, I don't have time for it. But you don't have to watch much tape to see Deguara's athletically.

How can someone watch Daguara out run the Bruins secondary to get in-front of and tackle a CB from behind, then call him slow?- lol!... The answer is you can't. It's just agenda driven nonsense.

Deguara has a lot of athletic potential for the Packers.

Devil’s Advocate here because I tend to agree 40 times aren’t indicative of speed in the NFL all the time, but...

Josiah took an immediate angle towards the end zone and the cornerback had to weave through potential tacklers.  In a straight foot race he’s not making that tackle.  If memory serves, he had nobody block him until he was right on the corner.

40 times only matter on special teams when you actually run a 40 yard dash in the NFL.  Finley ran a 4.67 at 236 pounds.  Sternberger ran a 4.75 at 251.

I don’t think anyone will suggest Sternberger is faster than Finley was.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think he's capable of plenty of things. I just don't see him doing any of them at a plus NFL level. 

Looking at the list of tasks required by a TE/H Back, which does he project to excel at?

How about giving the guy a chance to show his skills?   There are a few on this forum who want more time and more time for MVS and others to succeed; why not this guy?    Looking at all the tasks required by a WR which ones does MVS project or in this case has done to excel at?   For some reason, guys that just got drafted don't have the same length of time to prove themselves then others.   

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Devil’s Advocate here because I tend to agree 40 times aren’t indicative of speed in the NFL all the time, but...

Josiah took an immediate angle towards the end zone and the cornerback had to weave through potential tacklers.  In a straight foot race he’s not making that tackle.  If memory serves, he had nobody block him until he was right on the corner.

40 times only matter on special teams when you actually run a 40 yard dash in the NFL.  Finley ran a 4.67 at 236 pounds.  Sternberger ran a 4.75 at 251.

I don’t think anyone will suggest Sternberger is faster than Finley was.

Just watch how he was moving. He was flying to the sideline.

It just wasn't the CB he caught, I think his name is Shaw, but other DBs were there. One was trying to get to Deguara to block him, but Deguara got past him... It was just simply a beautiful, athletic football play.

14 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

How about giving the guy a chance to show his skills?   There are a few on this forum who want more time and more time for MVS and others to succeed; why not this guy?    Looking at all the tasks required by a WR which ones does MVS project or in this case has done to excel at?   For some reason, guys that just got drafted don't have the same length of time to prove themselves then others.   

I'm not advocating we cut the guy. I'm all for letting him show his skills.

The significant difference between this guy and MVS is that MVS has prototypical size and speed at his position. He's got solid hands. He works vertically well. He had 8 games last year of rock solid #2 WR play including our best offensive performances playing as the #1.