3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I just re-watched the week 13 49ers game to see MVS, and Vitale whiffed a block to a comical degree, and his guy immediately made the tackle.  Like, he went for the cut and the guy just went around him like he wasn't there.

LOL you saw that, too, huh?  That was one of the worst attempts at a block by a football player at any level that I've ever seen.  Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

• 2 months later...

snippets from The Athletic on using a Fullback ( 49ers)

With Juszczyk, Shanahan has the most modern “21” personnel package in the league because of Juszczyk’s versatility. If defenses want to stop the run with their base personnel, Juszczyk can punish them as a receiver. If they put their sub packages on the field, he can punish them as a lead blocker.
How he affects defenses can’t always be measured in numbers.

The use of fullbacks has diminished in favor of double-tight-end sets because of the immediate downfield threats that two tight ends on the line of scrimmage pose. It’s harder to play eight in the box and single safety with the threat of four verticals. The tradeoff is that it’s harder to make certain run blocks because of how limited tight ends are as far as whom they can block. For example, they can only block defenders to their side, whereas a fullback can block a linebacker on either side of the center.

In a zone system like the 49ers, their linemen are frequently double-teaming a defensive lineman into a linebacker. However, sometimes the linebacker they’re assigned to block can be positioned in a spot that might be hard to get to. Fullbacks can make their lives easier by picking up that linebacker and allowing the offensive linemen to block an easier target.

“Fullbacks can create angles because I can get to any spot, which helps our linemen on their combination block,” Juszczyk explained. “If there is a linebacker that is out-leveraging them and they don’t have a good angle to get him, Coach can call a play that puts me on him.”

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/07/03202006/KJ-Lead1.mp4?

The call was weak outside zone to the left. If Juszczyk wasn’t in the backfield, the center and right guard would have to double the nose into linebacker Blake Martinez, which could be difficult. But since Juszczyk was responsible for blocking Martinez, they could work to the backside safety instead, which is much easier to do because of the angle and proximity of the safety.

“(Martinez) was tucked pretty far inside. He was lined up over the center. Knowing that, I knew I had time to get to him. The 3-technique( Mike Daniels) was starting to come off of Laken (Tomlinson)’s block. I knew I could help him on the way to my guy. It worked out perfectly.
Between me and Laken, we were able to open that big lane for Raheem Mostert to run through.”

Though it seemed like a small nudge, Juszczyk getting a hand on the 3-technique helped seal him inside. Juszczyk’s extra effort was key to making that run pop. Another key was Juszczyk’s initial alignment on the line of scrimmage. Because of his threat as a receiver and the threat of immediate four downfield threats, the defense couldn’t load up the box.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Nugget

Bill has snookered us twice in regards to pulling the trigger on someone early the 3rd round now. Once with Khyri Thornton and now with Deguara. 

In all fairness, I think Deguara will have far better success at his position than Thornton did at his because he doesn't have a coordinator that's going to play him out of place or experiment with the scheme to absurdity.

Edited by Joe

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bill has snookered us twice in regards to pulling the trigger on someone early the 3rd round now. Once with Khyri Thornton and now with Deguara. In all fairness, I think Deguara will have far better success at his position than Thornton did at his because he doesn't have a coordinator that's going to play him out of place or experiment with the scheme to absurdity.

Based on week one action, it looks like MLF has every intention to put Deguara to full use.
If he connects and produces, Sternberger could be fighting for snaps/the ball.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Bill has snookered us twice in regards to pulling the trigger on someone early the 3rd round now. Once with Khyri Thornton and now with Deguara. 

In all fairness, I think Deguara will have far better success at his position than Thornton did at his because he doesn't have a coordinator that's going to play him out of place or experiment with the scheme to absurdity.

That's assuming the Packers knew about Bill's interest in the player and they cared... while Bill might be the best coach of all time (at least in the running), his drafts haven't exactly always been the best.

Also LaFleur coached Mike Denbrock, Cincinnati University's offensive coordinator and TE coach, so there are direction corrections without going to the Patriots.

Also after the Packers drafted him, Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor texted LaFleur (they worked together with the Rams), that the TE was one of his favorite players he has ever coached, as Taylor was Cincinnati University's offensive coordinator when the TE was a freshman, though he might not of offered insight pre-draft, then again he might of, as it sounds like 49ers and Rams coaches are pretty tight and might share more information with each other, if they weren't in the same division, and if that has rubbed off the Packers and Bengals coached which have followed same coaching trees, they might as they've not in the same conference, though still unlikely, but possibly more likely than blindly following Bill's word.

Really enjoying the way that the Packers are using Deguara out of the backfield. His ability to both block and run vertical routes from the FB spot certainly seemed to inspire LaFleur to open the playbook up a little as far as using the RBs as the #1 option. 

The 1st and 3rd real passes of the game featured Adams and Deguara from his FB spot running vertically to clear out the second level to let the backs run their flare screens in space. Both times the backs made a tackler miss and picked up good yardage. 

LaFleur tried to pay him off twice from what I saw, the one he actually caught the ball after the fake block, and the one where he had a step vertically but slowed on his route. Had he kept going he probably had a 25 yard gain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe said:

How’s he do with Chad Jackson instead of Greg Jennings?

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

How’s he do with Chad Jackson instead of Greg Jennings?

I had forgotten we traded with NE in that draft for the Jennings pick. We also traded back into the first with NE (using the Jets/Favre pick) for CMIII in 2009.  BB is such a NFL giant he’s made NE and GB better teams.

As far as Deguara, you can’t believe anything you hear anyone in a front office says about a draft pick until maybe they write a book about their career 20 years after the fact. He had a promising first game and you can see the Swiss Army knife potential he has in this offense.  Here’s to his good health and development this season.

I do find it interesting that when these anonymous quotes reinforce something that is agreeable, the quote is posted as proof of something.  When the quote reinforces something less agreeable, the author of the quote is a typically considered a hack who is making up headlines for click bait.

16 hours ago, Beast said:

....after the Packers drafted him, Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor texted LaFleur (they worked together with the Rams), that the TE was one of his favorite players he has ever coached, as Taylor was Cincinnati University's offensive coordinator when the TE was a freshman, though he might not have offered insight pre-draft, then again he might have

I can see it being more along the lines of "Josiah got drafted! I'll put in a good word with Matt, it can't hurt his chances to make the team."