3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I think that's a bar that he's never going to approach.   Juszczyk has been to the Pro Bowl the last 4 years and averages 20-30 catches, 300 yards and a TD.   He's the pre-eminent "fullback" in the NFL right now.   I think Deguara's value is going to largely come in ways a statistician and/or casual fan just aren't going to appreciate, but his teammates that know his role and are the recipients of all the yardage/TD's he creates for them, will

I can't claim to have the knowledge and I have only heard this a couple times but is Juszczyk overrated at all? Honestly pro bowls don't do much for me, especially not at the FB position. Would Deguara be considered an elite blocker or ST player? As mentioned, the draft is such a crap shoot and the board didn't fall great for us but I will still be disappointed taking a player like that over a more premium. With that being said, I try to trust the people who get paid a lot of money to make these decisions.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You seriously think LaFleur fell in love with this guy after not scouting him but seeing a clip?

No, if you read what I said, I said he absolutely spent the time scouting him, but he's clouded by that clip.  When he did go back and scout him he only saw the positive because he only wanted to see the positive.  He didn't look for the red flags that might be there.

It's not for sure, it's a theory.  But people fall in love for all the wrong reasons.  This would be that wrong reason.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being skeptical of a pick.  We as fans have every right to do so, as long as we have done the prerequisite research into the pick.  I mean, what percentage of posters here immediately after the pick was announced had to Google who Degaura was?  I'd venture a guess that percentage is north of 80%.  Even I didn't spend a whole lot of time on him.

I get that but you've got a few who are beating a dead horse. The guy may suck! He may have been over drafted. I get it, but at some point you accept he's a Packer and either choose to root for him or not. 

I was not a fan of the Gary pick, but he's a Packer and I hope every day he proves me and the other doubters wrong. I don't trash the kid everyday because I want to keep proving 'I'm right'! 

Just my opinion! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Who hurt you @skibrett15?

Teams that draft RBs too high.

Teams that think running the ball is important

Passing the ball is the 3 point shot of the NFL.  Now that teams have figured out passing is more efficient... there's just no reason that the NFL is going to flip back to power football.

8 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Do you want me to name just the TEs or are all positions fair game? 

Seriously, stop being abrasive af. 

I barely have any time to read or post on here with the current situation and when I do find a moment I often have to deal with a severely misguided comment and/or rant from you. It constantly interrupts the flow of threads. Stop picking fights for the sake of it. 

Just don't be that poster. 

--> Also, just a general fact that needs to be said---there's a ton of posters on this site that are on their 2nd or 3rd user names (I am one of them). Post counts don't always accurately reflect history. I've been on FF for more than a decade. 

When I have to read the same incessant bitching all the time, I'll post how I please. 

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Teams that draft RBs too high.

Teams that think running the ball is important

Passing the ball is the 3 point shot of the NFL.  Now that teams have figured out passing is more efficient... there's just no reason that the NFL is going to flip back to power football.

did you not remember SF in 2019?

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

did you not remember SF in 2019?

I mean, it really does seem like the NFL is cyclical and we're seeing offenses go heavier in response to defenses getting lighter to deal with offenses who wanted to spread out the heavier defenses..

Of course, it helps when you're flexible and make tactically sound decisions within football games, but if defenses are going to line up with 5 DBs and 220 lb linebackers, you'd like to be able to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

Just to give reference to the kind of importance the Juice role is on this rush offense, here's the breakdown for the 49ers with Juszczyk last year compared to without.

12 games with Juice
349 carries, 1736 yards, 5.0 YPC, 16 TD 

4 games w/o Juice
149 carries, 569 yards, 3.8 YPC, 7 TD

One of the 4 games w/o Juice was a 232 yard (6.1 YPC) and 5 TD effort vs the Panthers who were the worst rush defense in the NFL last year for YPC and TD. The other three games? 111 carries, 337 yards (3.0 YPC), 2 TD vs the Rams, Redskins and Cardinals.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Just to give reference to the kind of importance the Juice role is on this rush offense, here's the breakdown for the 49ers with Juszczyk last year compared to without.

12 games with Juice
349 carries, 1736 yards, 5.0 YPC, 16 TD 

4 games w/o Juice
149 carries, 569 yards, 3.8 YPC, 7 TD

One of the 4 games w/o Juice was a 232 yard (6.1 YPC) and 5 TD effort vs the Panthers who were the worst rush defense in the NFL last year for YPC and TD. The other three games? 111 carries, 337 yards (3.0 YPC), 2 TD vs the Rams, Redskins and Cardinals.

What this really shows is that even the guy you are trying to copy had no major effect.   The wo stats are similar yards and actually more td's.  Based on the small sample- he didn't matter.

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

What this really shows is that even the guy you are trying to copy had no major effect.   The wo stats are similar yards and actually more td's.  Based on the small sample- he didn't matter.

Yeah, sure. If that's what you got from that, that's what you wanted to get from it. 1.2 YPC is a HUGE difference. 

3 YPC and 2 TDs in the other 3 games against the not-ranked-dead-last rush defense in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Ignoring the obvious loss of efficiency is another blatant sign that you’re just trolling here.

• Like 2

Just now, deathstar said:

Ignoring the obvious loss of efficiency is another blatant sign that you’re just trolling here.

No.  Rationalization is the forum words at the moment.   People are posting like love is likely to become great.   What are the real odds? 10% is closer than likely.

The sample size is too small to draw any real solid conclusion.  Your efficiency point is no more solid than the point that he hurts the running TD output.   It isn't trolling to not agree with everything the Packers did last weekend. 

Picking try hard guys that have below average size, and average athleticism at non impact positions is not how you build teams.   These should be late round picks.  I really like the player, if acquired in the proper spot.