3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

What part of his profile says that you throw away positional value because of traits?  

6'2"   tall, 245 lbs, 31 5/8 arms,  7.15 3 cone.    So he is short, with average speed and quickness.    Average stats in a lower level conference.  Made an impression with hustle.

He is a nice player to get in the later rounds.   There were good players at more impacting positions for the 3rd round.

He plays with little to no wasted motion, which for a TE, is more important than the 40. If you don't actually watch the guy play you'll probably miss why the staff was high on him. When you put him out on the field at the same time with another TE there's no tell if it will be pass or run since you can flex him from FB to slot.

Edited by HighCalebR

5 hours ago, hitnhope said:

What part of his profile says that you throw away positional value because of traits?  

6'2"   tall, 245 lbs, 31 5/8 arms,  7.15 3 cone.    So he is short, with average speed and quickness.    Average stats in a lower level conference.  Made an impression with hustle.

He is a nice player to get in the later rounds.   There were good players at more impacting positions for the 3rd round.

Actually, among the 10 tight ends who were drafted and completed most of the combine tests, you could make the case the only one who posted better athletic testing was fellow H-back prospect and surprise third round pick Dalton Keene. Also, until I was looking that up I didn't realize 2/3 of the tight ends who got drafted were picked in the third and fourth rounds. It seems like it might have been one of those years where most teams didn't have many guys they really liked at the position so if they wanted a tight end they didn't wait around until the latter stages of day 3.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Deps said:

Actually, among the 10 tight ends who were drafted and completed most of the combine tests, you could make the case the only one who posted better athletic testing was fellow H-back prospect and surprise third round pick Dalton Keene. Also, until I was looking that up I didn't realize 2/3 of the tight ends who got drafted were picked in the third and fourth rounds. It seems like it might have been one of those years where most teams didn't have many guys they really liked at the position so if they wanted a tight end they didn't wait around until the latter stages of day 3.

Very quality post for second post!

11 hours ago, Deps said:

Good post.  You are correct.  From a testing standpoint there really isn't much to separate any of the top 10.   Each might have a category where they did better than the rest, but also offset by another that wasn't great.

The only place where Degaura looks a little below the rest of the group is in physical size.   Most are both taller and heavier.  Through the balance of testing he typically finished in the top half.

Albert O didn't do enough testing to get any feel.  He was bigger, and faster than the rest in the 40, but then didn't do any other testing to let you think he might stand out.

Have to see how this shakes out.  I didn't expect the data to line up the way it did.  Excellent catch, and post.

Guys who are a little smaller ought to test better athletically, though, right? 

Kind of the Spriggs effect; tested great for quickness and mobility as a too-weak 290-pound college kid.  Once he packed on the 20+ pounds to get to NFL size/strength, the combine-quickness was gone.  

Not saying that the NFL-version of Deguara won't retain his athleticism.  But it is a risk that if he's pounded on more mass to get more NFL-sized, since his college tape, it's possible that some of the quickness, fluidity, and bend that he shows in college film will be sacrificed.  

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Good post.  You are correct.  From a testing standpoint there really isn't much to separate any of the top 10.   Each might have a category where they did better than the rest, but also offset by another that wasn't great.

The only place where Degaura looks a little below the rest of the group is in physical size.   Most are both taller and heavier.  Through the balance of testing he typically finished in the top half.

Albert O didn't do enough testing to get any feel.  He was bigger, and faster than the rest in the 40, but then didn't do any other testing to let you think he might stand out.

Have to see how this shakes out.  I didn't expect the data to line up the way it did.  Excellent catch, and post.

Just admit that you are only looking at the numbers.  You never watched tape of him, did you watch any of the other H backs or TEs?

Nobody seems to mention that Degaura just might have the best hands of all of the TEs.  I'd degaurantee it!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Why would be want Deguara to get bigger? He's perfect HT/WT for the role he's in. 

If the guy was 2-3 inches taller, and weighed 10 more pounds, I don't think it's really going to change my evaluation of him that much. All I care about is the tape, and I don't think his "smaller frame" than some TEs hinders his play.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Just admit that you are only looking at the numbers.  You never watched tape of him, did you watch any of the other H backs or TEs?

Nobody seems to mention that Degaura just might have the best hands of all of the TEs.  I'd degaurantee it!!

I've watched a number of games.   I watched games of a few others as well.  Why do you ignore what was said?   Why do you think other opinions have no validity?  To me he looked like a decent prospect, but overall the 3rd round pick seems high.   Soe of the information presented seems to indicate that wasn't necessarily the case in this draft.  Interesting.

It seems that some can't stand an opinion that doesn't throw praise at our management.   

One can be disappointed in what the Packer leadership did last weekend without disliking the player.   I hope Degaura turns into a pro bowler.  I degaurantee that as well.

7 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Boooooooooo!!!

• Like 1