3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

From The Athletic

Dude got his Masters Degree already

Played wide receiver in high school on a state championship team. As a wide receiver, he caught 104 passes as a junior and 114 as a senior.
Finished his prep career with 240 receptions for 3,274 yards (13.6) and 42 TDs. He was a two-star recruit; only other FBS-level scholarship offer was from Air Force.   Earned his master’s degree in sports administration in December.

Edited by Shanedorf

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From The Athletic

Dude got his Masters Degree already

Played wide receiver in high school on a state championship team. As a wide receiver, he caught 104 passes as a junior and 114 as a senior.
Finished his prep career with 240 receptions for 3,274 yards (13.6) and 42 TDs. He was a two-star recruit; only other FBS-level scholarship offer was from Air Force.   Earned his master’s degree in sports administration in December.

That's awesome actually. He's a dedicated guy clearly, on and off the field.

As far as some other posts on here, they won't be having Deguara changing the body; one of his biggest strengths is that he's day one pro-ready, both technique and body-wise. He'll play more or less what he's at, the question is how they'll use it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

As far as some other posts on here, they won't be having Deguara changing the body; one of his biggest strengths is that he's day one pro-ready, both technique and body-wise. He'll play more or less what he's at, the question is how they'll use it.

Interesting. I thought I'd recalled Gute making a "250" reference.  Probably I'm crazy and misremembering.  I went and looked at Deguara's listings, and they are encouragingly consistent, *IF* his present size is what you want going forward:

• Combine:  242
  • 2019 Cinci roster:  240
  • 2018 Cinci roster:  242
  • 2017 Cinci roster: 235
  • 2015 Cinci roster: 240

If he's 242 now and he's been ~240 for the past four seasons, then he shouldn't be any less fluid, flexible, able to cut, or able to pad-level-low block, than was true on the college tape they scouted.  

Agree, too, Bob, that being pro-ready is an appeal.  A guy has only one rookie contract, so taking guys ready to dive in as a rookie, rather than wasting one or two of the cheap years on development, makes a ton of cap sense.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Why we would we need to have him change his body? I'd like to think his current body had a lot to do with his selection...

How we will use him, however? Simple: he's the H-back that can serve as a move TE and play in-line in certain formations. I suspect we will see a ton of looks with Deguara in the backfield with Dillon or Jones behind him running off RT and we'll see Deguara play in-line on short yardage situations. I'd like to see how he fares in pass-pro out of the backfield. Little surprised we gave him a # in the 80's. 

38 minutes ago, craig said:

I think it's pretty obvious why you *might* hypothetically have him change his body:  to get stronger so that he's better equipped for in-line blocking.  

The thing is, he doesn't have anywhere to really put that muscle.  One of the things that gets glossed over by fans that's a lot bigger deal to teams is how much space in their frame a player has to actually add weight.  Sternberger weighed in at 251 at the combine, Deguara at 242, but it takes all of one look at them both to see the difference:

usatsi_14079559.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1\

nfl-combine-football-indianapolis-usa-sh

Sternberger has a lot of room in that frame that he could still pack muscle onto.  He could easily play at 250 next year and look like an entirely different human being.  Deguara on the other hand is basically maxed; there really isn't a way to add much mass onto that frame that wouldn't significantly affect his movement abilities. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Sternberger has a lot of room in that frame that he could still pack muscle onto.  He could easily play at 250 next year and look like an entirely different human being.  Deguara on the other hand is basically maxed; there really isn't a way to add much mass onto that frame that wouldn't significantly affect his movement abilities. 

Thats one of my only "concerns" about Sternberger....is he gonna be tough enough to take the NFL pounding? I'm not impressed by his pic regards "strength" factors. I hope he's been hitting the weight room.