3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I really expect him to be used more on the line, slot, or wing than FB. I keep saying I see more Cooley in his game than a FB type.

Early on, the FB reps are there to take. I think thats the natural way to get him into the offense and then expand his role from there. Just being able to have him be able to line up at FB, be effective at that spot, then being able to motion out and being effective on a route is pretty exciting to think about, even if the stats never pile up.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

The thing is, he doesn't have anywhere to really put that muscle.  One of the things that gets glossed over by fans that's a lot bigger deal to teams is how much space in their frame a player has to actually add weight.  Sternberger weighed in at 251 at the combine, Deguara at 242, but it takes all of one look at them both to see the difference:

usatsi_14079559.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1\

nfl-combine-football-indianapolis-usa-sh

Sternberger has a lot of room in that frame that he could still pack muscle onto.  He could easily play at 250 next year and look like an entirely different human being.  Deguara on the other hand is basically maxed; there really isn't a way to add much mass onto that frame that wouldn't significantly affect his movement abilities. 

Sternburger looks softer. Could account for that extra 9 lbs.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

The thing is, he doesn't have anywhere to really put that muscle.  One of the things that gets glossed over by fans that's a lot bigger deal to teams is how much space in their frame a player has to actually add weight.  Sternberger weighed in at 251 at the combine, Deguara at 242, but it takes all of one look at them both to see the difference:   (pics) .....  Deguara on the other hand is basically maxed; there really isn't a way to add much mass onto that frame that wouldn't significantly affect his movement abilities. 

Excellent post, excellent pics, and I agree with your point.  Particularly your note that packing more on, *if* he hypothetically could do so, could compromise his movement abilities.  That's always my concern: a guy or his team thinks he should get bigger; then doing so reduces his movement abilities and does more harm than good.  Definitely don't want that.  

One other thought is that being shorter may perhaps help in terms of pad level?  

I think the argument that's trying to be made here is the typical "play/functional strength" argument that almost every rookie has to barter and beat. I have no concerns over Deguara at all in that area; especially when his technique is said to be very solid. In other words, what would you rather have, someone with the prerequisite play/functional strength who will whiff on blocks, make mental errors, or be wildly inconsistent; or would you rather have someone with solid, consistent technique that may not have that desired strength, but can still be effective? I think you know the answer...

Sorry if repost  but I found this interesting:

That’s exactly the case with Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur and rookie third-round pick Josiah Deguara, the University of Cincinnati tight end/fullback/H-back who before he was a Packers draft choice was a teaching tool in a video clip.

The play, from the Bearcats’ 24-14 season-opening victory over UCLA last August, showed Deguara chasing down Bruins defensive back Jay Shaw just before halftime to prevent a potential 100-yard interception return for a touchdown. Deguara, who caught four passes for 53 yards and the game’s first touchdown that night, came at an angle from the opposite side of the field to chase down Shaw at Cincinnati’s 33-yard line.

We actually showed this to our team — ironically enough — last season in a team meeting when we were talking about effort and grit,” LaFleur recounted after general manager Brian Gutekunst selected Deguara with the 94th overall pick in last week’s draft — . “There was a play versus UCLA where there was an interception, and just the effort he displayed to run down the defender and make an unbelievable play on the ball, I think it really epitomizes who he is as a football player.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/matt-lafleur-aims-to-get-more-much-more-from-rookie-josiah-deguara-than-just-an/article_86bcfb3f-e5b6-550e-b660-ba7391f01edb.html

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Sternburger looks softer.

Sternberger looks soft IMO. I've got better muscle definition than he does.

Oh...and I'd GET PLOWED on an NFL field.

Edited by Leader

12 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

I made the comparison in another thread but he is similar to Frank Wycheck

Expect the Packers to use him similar to how Frank was used with the Titans 

Yeah Wycheck is another good one. Way better than Kyle Juszczyk.

9 hours ago, craig said:

I think it's pretty obvious why you *might* hypothetically have him change his body:  to get stronger so that he's better equipped for in-line blocking.  

I don't think he's going to spend much time in-line blocking, but that's just my guess.
There will be some, but he's limited lining up in a 3 point stance on the LOS and taking on a DE/OLB. That's Marcedes territory

Most of the time he will be lined up behind the LOS and / or in motion -  either way he gets a running start before he hits his blocking target
Mass x Acceleration = Force   By having him in motion, he generates the same amount of punch as a bigger in - line dude
After awhile the LB's get tired of getting punched in the mouth and start to evade the dude -  and that's when he runs a seam route and gashes them

(At least that's how it works in my imaginary world)