3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Re-arranged: Mass = Force/Acceleration

And that's how you can weigh mice on the ISS in zero-gravity ;)

You throw them against a scale at a precise speed? Sucks to be an astronaut mouse.

Deguara is working on his masters degree in sports administration. He probably worked out the strike force math in kinesiology without throwing any mice around. 

From The Athletic

USATSI_13864225-scaled-e1587444596850-10

“You see guys run fast, jump high, but how much does it mean to them? How competitive are they? How important is winning?” Denbrock said. “What I found was a guy who wasn’t going to be denied. He did everything in a highly competitive manner.  We understood what we had in him and the best ways to use him.”

“The fact that he’s not 6-foot-7, if you take that out of the equation and look at the ability to play the game, I don’t think there are many jobs Josiah can’t do,” Denbrock said. “On a roster of 53 people, you have to have more than one guy who can do multiple things. I think his versatility is his strong suit, and on top of that, he’s an incredibly intelligent kid. You put all those things together, and I have a hard time believing he won’t be really, really successful.”

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Convince me that this dude does something at a noticeably higher level than a dude like Tonyan will be able to?

Thinking give them both a chance.  Sternberger, Tonyan and the rookie ... pretty good bunch to work around for a few years?  Not sure though Tonyan is the blocker this "dude" is but that's to be determined. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Convince me that this dude does something at a noticeably higher level than a dude like Tonyan will be able to?

Well since one player's yet to step on to an NFL practice field....and the other player's dont little while on a regular season game field - thats a tough nut to prove at this point.

I think GB considers JD a better fit for the system in place..and my take on watching his college tape is he's already doing things Tonyan's never been asked to do at the pro level - which I'll presume is because they dont think him capable.

One guy who lots of Packers fans wanted last year was Irv Smith Jr ( Like 2nd round IIRC) but weren't happy with this pick in the 3rd. I don't know how it will turn out or even if they will play the same positions, but Deguara and Irv are basically identical in size and aside from the 40, Deguara beat Smith in almost every combine athletic event and was stronger on the bench.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

One guy who lots of Packers fans wanted last year was Irv Smith Jr ( Like 2nd round IIRC) but weren't happy with this pick in the 3rd. I don't know how it will turn out or even if they will play the same positions, but Deguara and Irv are basically identical in size and aside from the 40, Deguara beat Smith in almost every combine athletic event and was stronger on the bench.

Irv Smith Jr is 18 months YOUNGER than Josiah Deguara is and that 40 matters at TE. 

Smith Jr. was a starter and a difference maker for a national runner up Bama team as a true junior. Deguara only played in 7 games and had 11 catches his red shirt sophomore year in the AAC.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, deathstar said:

Nothing to back this up, but wouldn’t be surprised if Deguara understands the playbook better and gets on the field more as a result.

Absolutely.

Hopefully there's some OTA stuff. Even the two week crash course thing they're talking about at the end of June would get him up to speed.

He understands the position, knows how to get open and plays at a fast speed. That video of him chasing down that UCLA CB shows you all you need to know about his attitude and game speed. If anyone questions that they either don't know what they're talking about or have an agenda.

5 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Absolutely.

Hopefully there's some OTA stuff. Even the two week crash course thing they're talking about at the end of June would get him up to speed.

He understands the position, knows how to get open and plays at a fast speed. That video of him chasing down that UCLA CB shows you all you need to know about his attitude and game speed. If anyone questions that they either don't know what they're talking about or have an agenda.

Yep, it's the people who think a rookie TE with an abbreviated offseason is going to understand the offense better than a guy in his third year on the team will, that have an agenda. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yep, it's the people who think a rookie TE with an abbreviated offseason is going to understand the offense better than a guy in his third year on the team will, that have an agenda. 

Definitely don’t have an agenda over here. But my original statement was more about a lack of faith in Tonyan than Deguara. 

Probably worth noting that instead of saying it was Tonyan’s second offseason in the offense (valid point) you said it was his third year with the team (sounds longer but is irrelevant considering the coaching staff has only been here a little over a year). Sounds like someone pushing an agenda to me.

7 hours ago, deathstar said:

Definitely don’t have an agenda over here. But my original statement was more about a lack of faith in Tonyan than Deguara. 

Probably worth noting that instead of saying it was Tonyan’s second offseason in the offense (valid point) you said it was his third year with the team (sounds longer but is irrelevant considering the coaching staff has only been here a little over a year). Sounds like someone pushing an agenda to me.

Both second year in an offense and third year in the NFL are relevant to the conversation. 

There's an adjustment period to the complexity of schemes and concepts as well as the day to day responsibilities that come with being a professional that are universal across schemes.

The more I see this kid the more I like him. He was basically a 4th round pick...drafting at 30 is basically a round later.

What I like about him is his ability to play FB and TE. They can be very multiple with him and actually play 3 TE sets with Him, Sternberger, and Tonyan or Lewis. This will really help with the running game and could be sneaky good in the passing game with Sternberger split out or slid out. Throw Ervin or Jones in there as well as another pass catching option and there are lots of things that can happen. 

What I also like about him is his ability to change directions. Tall TE's have that great catch radius, but quick guys...who may be shorter, have that ability to separate...even for just a quick moment. WIth a QB as accurate as AR...That could be a valuable weapon.

I still wish we had another WR...maybe we still add one...hoping Funchess and or MVS/ESB shine.