Larry Warford - Traded, Cut (and when) or Retained?

Dome

Sean Payton (as quoted by The Athletic) said Larry Warford is “going to have to compete” for his job.

To me this means we’re unlikely to traded him for a package of late round picks. He’ll likely remain a Saint through the weekend and likely longer.

Or it’s Sean Payton lip service trying to salvage any value left in Warford? I think this is unlikely.

What do you think happens? Do we find a way to trade him? Does he remain the starter while Ruiz adjusts?  What do you think of spending a 1st round pick on a player who may ride the bench? Or is Warford out for sure?

If our biggest concern was the interior line, IMO we can’t head into 2020 with a rookie center and a LG who hasn’t played that position in the NFL yet, no matter how confident we are in him.

I’ve seen a lot of people citing the ATL and playoff MIN games as proof that we need IOL help. We do need to improve there, no question...  but as it stands right now their dream scenario involves two players playing a position they haven’t played in the NFL at the IOL spots heading into 2020. Right?

Or is Ruiz just a backup this year?

I personally think Warford remains a Saint unless Ruiz shows out immensely like McCoy and Ramczyk. Larry will have a fire under his butt too.

Can we hit on 3 (4?) in a row?

You have Nick Easton who looked capable at all the interior spots. You save about $8m from getting rid of Warford. If you thought it was necessary to draft his replacement, there is no way you can justify that money. I don’t think the Saints make that selection unless they are confident that they’d be fine without Warford.  

IMO you have to trade Warford now. They drafted Ruiz to see play time and Easton is a good backup for our interior and even the other Tackle spots if Peat moves out. Warfords value won't rise anymore, give me a late round pick and bring in another DB for depth and I'm happy.

If we let Ruiz learn this year to build a Oline for Drew's replacement, I totally disagree with the pick. Then there's no reason why we didn't pick a Fromm or Easton and let Drew teach him a year

O-line is such a prize possession these days, I'd lean on the Saints keeping him, and exactly what Coach says, he'll have to compete. Any time a player feels the pinch, they're either going to play to their highest capability, or the pressure will reveal their true colors.

Warford was quite servicable, and is in a coveted position.

I like that we're bringing in the youth, and putting the seniors on notice.

Keep in mind the culture Payton has built. These guys want to work for him.

• Like 1

I think we let him play this season out and get rid of him after this year. Can use that chunk of money we save to retain guys like Kamara and Lattimore as I think we also lose Brees after this year to retirement, so my guess would be that we save quite a bit with those 2 off the roster.

Which also leads me to believe that given the depth, youth, and overall talent level of this team, we may pull off a Ricky Williams type trade next draft to grab our franchise QB. I still don't buy that Hill is going to be the guy at QB for us.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

O-line is such a prize possession these days, I'd lean on the Saints keeping him, and exactly what Coach says, he'll have to compete. Any time a player feels the pinch, they're either going to play to their highest capability, or the pressure will reveal their true colors.

Warford was quite servicable, and is in a coveted position.

I like that we're bringing in the youth, and putting the seniors on notice.

Keep in mind the culture Payton has built. These guys want to work for him.

For $8 million? I think they’re have to be an injury to either Ruiz or McCoy for that to happen. 

20 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

For $8 million? I think they’re have to be an injury to either Ruiz or McCoy for that to happen. 

I wonder if they'll ask him to restructure.
I haven't studied the market to see who's in need of a (Warford) to know if the Saints have leverage, but maybe they ask him to restructure or they ship him out for a later round 2021 pick.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:52 AM, Mid Iowa said:

I wonder if they'll ask him to restructure.

He's coming off three pro-bowls in a row, which complicates things more than it should.

pro bowl selections don't actually matter, but you don't ask a guy like that to restructure IMO, its asking for locker room issues.

If he's been passed up on the depth chart suddenly, you keep him, cut him or trade him. I think those are your options.

• Like 1

I haven't studied the market to see who's in need of a (Warford) to know if the Saints have leverage,

Unfortunately, the Saints gave up most of their leverage when they drafted Ruiz. We're not gonna pay Warford to sit on the bench, and everyone knows it. Potential suitors may be bidding against another team that wants him and that could inflate his value a little, but teams know we need to trade him.

or they ship him out for a later round 2021 pick.

I think this is it. Probably wait to see how the whole world recovers, see what TC and OTAs are gonna be like... if Ruiz looks good to go early Warford is gone.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 4:57 PM, SWATcha said:

What's the highest you think they could get in trade? A 4th? Or do you think even that is too generous? 

I think that a 4th is possible. I'd say that's the most. He's still a capable OG with multiple pro bowls under his belt. It seems that the Saints were miffed about his conditioning last year, which is probably the reason why we replacing him. But if he is in better shape...he's still a very capable guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that a 4th is possible. I'd say that's the most. He's still a capable OG with multiple pro bowls under his belt. It seems that the Saints were miffed about his conditioning last year, which is probably the reason why we replacing him. But if he is in better shape...he's still a very capable guy.

We may need to wait for a starter to go down at this point, but I agree