Larry Warford - Traded, Cut (and when) or Retained?

Dome

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that a 4th is possible. I'd say that's the most. He's still a capable OG with multiple pro bowls under his belt. It seems that the Saints were miffed about his conditioning last year, which is probably the reason why we replacing him. But if he is in better shape...he's still a very capable guy.

Tbh his conditioning is frustrating. Two seasons in a row he slowed down right as we got to the playoffs.

I'm surprised a team like the Browns haven't come calling. Wills-Bitinio-Tretter-Warford-Conklin is a monster O-line. I do wonder if they figure we'll release him and just wait it out. I can't imagine Warford or his agent is thrilled that he might be replaced going into the final year of his deal, especially since his next contract is his last chance for a big contract.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Tbh his conditioning is frustrating. Two seasons in a row he slowed down right as we got to the playoffs.

I'm surprised a team like the Browns haven't come calling. Wills-Bitinio-Tretter-Warford-Conklin is a monster O-line. I do wonder if they figure we'll release him and just wait it out. I can't imagine Warford or his agent is thrilled that he might be replaced going into the final year of his deal, especially since his next contract is his last chance for a big contract.

It's sad because he is very talented. I think that he's a better player than Peat...and he's still a relatively young guy. But you clearly can't have a guy like that in your locker room if he is not going to come in prepared. This is definitely a blue collared team with a bunch of hardworkers...getting rid of Warford might be the right thing if for nothing else than to set an example for everyone else.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's sad because he is very talented. I think that he's a better player than Peat...and he's still a relatively young guy. But you clearly can't have a guy like that in your locker room if he is not going to come in prepared. This is definitely a blue collared team with a bunch of hardworkers...getting rid of Warford might be the right thing if for nothing else than to set an example for everyone else.

Honestly it's not a bad call that Payton is doing this as a culture setting move. A few times the last two seasons, namely after the BYE last week, a few of our players started to play lazy. Knowing Payton, the Ruiz pick could be both an upgrade across the line and a message to the other players that either dig in and work for the entire season or be replaced. It might seem excessive but knowing Payton it wouldn't surprise me if he did it to set a tone before the season. Especially in light of no virtual programs and asking everyone to be in their best shape come July.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:38 AM, Canadian Saint said:

Honestly it's not a bad call that Payton is doing this as a culture setting move. A few times the last two seasons, namely after the BYE last week, a few of our players started to play lazy. Knowing Payton, the Ruiz pick could be both an upgrade across the line and a message to the other players that either dig in and work for the entire season or be replaced. It might seem excessive but knowing Payton it wouldn't surprise me if he did it to set a tone before the season. Especially in light of no virtual programs and asking everyone to be in their best shape come July.

Good point!! Look at the signing of Janoris Jenkins. That put Apple on notice. At that point, you either dig in your heals and kick some ***, or you...well, you do what Apple did.