Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, massraider said:

He absolutely played LB in college, PFF has grades for him as a S and a LB.  

This thing where people are projecting people into LB roles from 1988 isn't going anywhere. SLB? What, like a 240 lb guy covering TE's, and playing the run? How many of those guys can cover ANY of the TEs in the AFC West?

Nickel LBs are everything. If Muse can't cover TEs, then whatever, reach of a pick. But if he can, then it really doesn't matter if he's good at taking on pulling guards in the running game. Stop the pass, you stop the offense. 

I’m guessing the “240lb” comment was directed at my comment of him needing at add weight.  
It doesn’t take a NFL strength coach to look At Muse and realize he needs to gain weight.  It’s not about adding weight for the sake of your 1988 stereotype comment.  He should add weight so he’s not embarrassed on running plays and bullied by TEs on passing plays.  Muse has the frame to add weight and that’s why, and not some “dates sterotype”, he should add some weight to make the money to LB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m guessing the “240lb” comment was directed at my comment of him needing at add weight.  
It doesn’t take a NFL strength coach to look At Muse and realize he needs to gain weight.  It’s not about adding weight for the sake of your 1988 stereotype comment.  He should add weight so he’s not embarrassed on running plays and bullied by TEs on passing plays.  Muse has the frame to add weight and that’s why, and not some “dates sterotype”, he should add some weight to make the money to LB.

I'm not calling anyone out, hope it didn't read that way. General comment about the listing of things Muse cannot become. 

I don't think Muse is ever gonna be a banger, and I don't think it matters, we didn't draft him to be that. We didn't draft him to play SS, so I don't care if he cannot cover big slots. 

Coverage LB, potential 3 down OLB. Right now, that's Kwiatkowski. OK, cool. He won't be there forever, and if there isn't a role for Muse right now to get 60% of snaps, that's OK.  I can live with having extra cover LBs.  

Muse was my least favorite of the picks.  I think there's no chance he's special as a LB, and 3rd round is high for a guy who looks like he'll be just OK in coverage.  But my issues with him have more to do with his ceiling for what he is gonna be asked to do, not because he doesn't fill a SLB role which, frankly, is a 25-30% snap guy anyway.  

Screw it, I'm gonna say we took Amik in the 3rd, and Muse in the 4th. Now I like it better.  B|

i dont hate Tanner Muse in a vacuum, I think he could bring value down the road and could stick around on rosters because he has some versatility as a reserve on D and can be a core special teamer, and those guys tend to find roster spots.

my issue is taking him in the 3rd round given what his expected role is. sure, anybody can become a huge surprise and become a steal. random 6th rounders become pro bowlers too. thats not really a sound approach.

same reason i dislike the bowden pick unless they think he can actually be the RB2. if he beats out booker for that role, it'll soften that blow. even in that situation, i dont think a reserve RB and utility player/special teamer justifies a 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, massraider said:

I'm not calling anyone out, hope it didn't read that way. General comment about the listing of things Muse cannot become. 

I don't think Muse is ever gonna be a banger, and I don't think it matters, we didn't draft him to be that. We didn't draft him to play SS, so I don't care if he cannot cover big slots. 

Coverage LB, potential 3 down OLB. Right now, that's Kwiatkowski. OK, cool. He won't be there forever, and if there isn't a role for Muse right now to get 60% of snaps, that's OK.  I can live with having extra cover LBs.  

Muse was my least favorite of the picks.  I think there's no chance he's special as a LB, and 3rd round is high for a guy who looks like he'll be just OK in coverage.  But my issues with him have more to do with his ceiling for what he is gonna be asked to do, not because he doesn't fill a SLB role which, frankly, is a 25-30% snap guy anyway.  

Screw it, I'm gonna say we took Amik in the 3rd, and Muse in the 4th. Now I like it better.  B|

Gotcha, just thought you made a easy going comment about my opinion he should gain weight... no biggie either way.

your absolutely right Muse isn’t gonna be a thumper/banger.  But I still think he has the frame to add weight.  Just google image “Tanner Muse” and look at his arms and legs.... he’s got the frame to add 10+ pounds easily, without sacrificing mobility. Sure he may drop from 4.41 to 4.45 but who cares.  I feel like he’ll be suspectabile to being bumped, shoved, boxed out by bigger TEs and some muscle would help him there.

still don’t love the pick either but it’s permanent so only thing we can do he hope he developes.