Pick #100 is in: LB, Tanner Muse, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

Per Cotto a team scout on Muse: "Muse from Clemson is not very good in coverage, tight in the hips, not fluid, average instinctually, we could've got him later," and went on to say "I didn't have a high grade on him. At best next year he'll be a special teamer and sub package guy for Guenther who needs a lot of work. He's your prototypical Al Davis pick on defense, if he has to run in a straight line to make a tackle, he'll be okay." 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Could've had Davion Taylor who has actually played LB and is a much better athlete. 

We will never know.... but I didn't see a team taking Muse before round 5. So many better options on the board there that could have had some impact as a rookie.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Least favorite pick. This seems like something the scouts wouldn't like.

It seems like he tested very well and played at clemson. I want to hear the rationale for this one...

He tested very well and played at Clemson. 

That IS the rationale here.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Normally someone posts something positive about a prospect after the pick. It's crickets on this guy. Seems his best achievement is switching positions with Simmons from time to time lol

As a LB his testing numbers were almost identical to Devin White. Plus he was elite in coverage when in the box in college. Those are two things to be kind of excited about. 

What's the point of signing Heath?   Then taking another safety in the 3rd? Why not just take an actual Linebacker.  These are some questionable picks

2 WRs after taking one in the 3rd? We have other needs too. I'd prefer we double dipped in at CB. Now we take a special team development LB in the 3rd?!?

1) Best pick so far was Ruggs

2) No comment on the Arnette pick. We could have certainly traded down because the few picks were traded after us. Instead we reach 

3) Like the Bowden pick. Where does he play for us?

4) Edwards is overkill. With all the tight ends we have, someone isn't gonna get the looks, why 3WRs? We potentially have 4 Wideouts with less than 2 years of experience.   Could have used this pick better. Guard?, pass rusher? Corner? QB?

Look, I know you gotta take other guys you have in order on your own board. But Mayock really has to take other teams into account. No one thought Muse was going before the 5th Round. 

I want to say “Maybe Mayock knew something we didn’t abuse Muse’s stock or interest” 

or

”Gotta go with your board”

But it’s really, really hard to defend this one... you just can’t. 

Strengths
  • Had a history at Clemson of finding the football
  • Finished with 14 career passes broken up and seven interceptions
  • High school center fielder with excellent ball-tracking when the ball goes up
  • Savvy and tends to smell a rat during misdirection and trick plays
  • Quick to diagnose and trigger downhill against the run
  • Good straight-line speed as a linebacker prospect
  • Pursues with proper gear shifts to leverage runner to the sideline
  • Wide and well-balanced in his tackle approach
  • Drops pads and wraps through a runner's thighs
  • Should be a four-phase special teams player as a pro
Weaknesses
  • Tight hips and plays too upright in space
  • Coverage is bulky and lacks fluidity
  • Wasted steps to gather, plant and drive from backpedal
  • Can't stay with running backs or wide receivers as a safety
  • Will take time getting used to physical nature of linebacker spot
  • Taking on blocks with greater physicality and technique must be a priority
  • Average instincts and urgency in fitting up in run support
  • Lateral change of direction is a little more labored than expected
  • Below-average agility and short-area athleticism as open-field tackler
Sources Tell Us

"There is some love out there for him as a cover linebacker. I could see him going late in the draft but his safety days are over." -- Director of scouting for NFC team