2020 Draft Pick #106 - Tyre Phillips

coordinator0

5 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

We building that wall on the right side with this guy and Zeus jr

What’s very intriguing with that is it’s already very difficult for defenses to notice the mesh point between Lamar and the RB, with these big behemoths in front of him, not only can they protect him... but think of having to try and read who has the ball behind these giants... and then as you try and key it... the Iron Giant destroys you with a pancake.

From looking up the size and measurables, he looks like a poor man’s Kelechi Osemele coming out.

• Like 2

Phillips is Zierlein's second-ranked guard behind Simpson. He has Ruiz and Cushenberry graded higher as other interior line prospects but that's it. Hunt is listed as a tackle. It's not a great guard class, and Tyre wasn't actually a guard besides the senior bowl stuff, but that's pretty good standing. Lance is pretty good at evaluating offensive line prospects. 

My OL prediction:

LT- Ronnie Stanley

LG- Tyre Phillips, Bradley Bozeman

C- Patrick Mekari, Matt Skura 

RG- Ben Powers (Oklahoma), Ben Bredeson

RT- Orlando Brown Jr (Oklahoma)

Would prefer to keep Phillips on that left side of the line that way if we NEED him to skip over to LT he’s still in a little more habit than otherwise. The rest of the OL and who remains... I don’t know. But I just like the idea of Brown’s power on the right side of the line with Tyre balancing things out with his power on the left side of the line... get a little more space going that way. It’s been our biggest flawed spot in the playoffs the last two years running, put the space destroyer on that side of the line and let him get comfortable.

I’m sure Bozeman would better have the playbook down so he might start out the starter, but similar to Orlando Brown Jr in his rookie season (granted it took an injury), the hope would be that by mid season or so, Tyre Phillips is starting inside at LG... just like Kelechi Osemele did for us.

51 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

My OL prediction:

LT- Ronnie Stanley

LG- Tyre Phillips, Bradley Bozeman

C- Patrick Mekari, Matt Skura 

RG- Ben Powers (Oklahoma), Ben Bredeson

RT- Orlando Brown Jr (Oklahoma)

Would prefer to keep Phillips on that left side of the line that way if we NEED him to skip over to LT he’s still in a little more habit than otherwise. The rest of the OL and who remains... I don’t know. But I just like the idea of Brown’s power on the right side of the line with Tyre balancing things out with his power on the left side of the line... get a little more space going that way. It’s been our biggest flawed spot in the playoffs the last two years running, put the space destroyer on that side of the line and let him get comfortable.

I’m sure Bozeman would better have the playbook down so he might start out the starter, but similar to Orlando Brown Jr in his rookie season (granted it took an injury), the hope would be that by mid season or so, Tyre Phillips is starting inside at LG... just like Kelechi Osemele did for us.

You listing Skura second because of health? If he’s good to go, he definitely starts over Mekari. 

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

You listing Skura second because of health? If he’s good to go, he definitely starts over Mekari. 

No, it’s because I think Mekari is the better player with more potential moving forward and should be the starter. Skura is JAG. Mekari is someone that I believe has pro bowl talent upfront. Whereas if Skura makes a pro bowl I see it happening in a Mark Ingram fashion where it’s mostly due to the Lamar Jackson effect, not because of his actual talent/impact level.

• Like 1

Interesting that when EDC was asked about this pick on the "lounge" podcast he basically said Tyre is Harbaugh's guy. EDC said that John really campaigned for him ever since they watched him at the senior bowl and so he was happy to be able to get the coach his guy.