5 Up, 5 Down

LETSGOBROWNIES

Up

1. It looks as though we escaped injury free.

2. The linebackers bounced back from a terrible game against Baltimore.

3. Kizer wasn't rattled and kept plugging away despite the drops.

4. The team didn't quit after getting blistered in the second quarter.

5. Kizer seemed to have plenty of time to throw most of the day and they ran the ball successfully at times.

Bonus: DUKE!

Down

1. The WR's.  All of them.  I've never seen a group of professional WR's play that bad before.

2. The DE's, do we have any? Ogbah has done absolutely nothing yet this season.

3. The defense. 31 points to the Colts??? This deep safety stuff didn't seem to prevent big plays and takes a physical run defender out of the play 90% of the time.  The fact that they again allowed a household name to burn them for a huge game is disappointing.

4. The reluctancy of the coaching staff to make a change at WR. Duke needs to be out there full time, he's been the only consistent threat.

5. The return game. I thought Peppers had room to attempt a return on a few of those punts, especially the last one. This isn't college kido, you're not going to get a bunch of opportunities where no one is around you, you need to make them miss and go. 

5 Up:

1. Kizer, despite all of the chaos, penalties, and dropped passes, he didn't flinch one bit. He was decisive and let it rip. I can get behind that,  the only thing I need to see more is him getting after these guys who drop passes and don't run full routes. He damn near was lights out with some of his passes.

2. The OL was much improved

3. Joe Schobert, the light switch has come on for this kid, he is playing at a really high level

4. Duke Johnson, he played really inspired, and was our only legitimate threat

5. Trevon Coley, lightning in a bottle?

t5. Seth Devalve

5 Down:

1. WR, the worst group of WRs I've seen with my own two eyes. A lot of fail in this room. I would take Josh Gordon yesterday

2. Hue Jackson, I was a big supporter of his but I am starting to become sour on him, we can't even do basic things offensively. This Colts game was an eye opener for me, Pagano is a lame duck coach and drew up an offense in the dirt that put up 31 points against us.

3. Gregg Williams, my guy, he has got some 'splaining to do. He seems stubborn and doesn't want to make adjustments to his defense, plus I don't see the fire out of him that I loved so much, I don't see the fire in his players. He better start lighting some fools up or its going to be a long season

4. Special teams, way too cautious and conservative. Coaching not to make a mistake

5. Our DL as a whole has been disappointing, with a few bright spots here and there.

t5. Peppers has made zero impact thus far.

Seth Devalve disappointed me yesterday.  I don't remember how many penalties he had called on him but it was quite a few with some drive killers.  He made some plays but his bigger plays were taken away because of penalties. 

The one bright spot I remember yesterday when it comes to wide receivers was Jordan Leslie's catch.  It was pretty impressive.

UP:

1. Kirksey and Schobert

2. Duke Johnson. The dude worked his butt off and looked great. I'd play him over Crow even as a RB right now.

3. Kizer showed some major flashes. 

4. Joe Thomas. He's the man.

5. No injuries??? I guess that's something. I can't imagine how bad they'd be with their starters hurt. I cringe at thinking about our backups.

DOWN:

1. Greg Williams scheme. He was woefully outcoached yesterday. Absolutely horrendous gameplan.

2. Our pass rush. Can we sack the QB without sending a blitz? Myles back healthy won't fix all of this himself.

3. Our WR. Laughing keeps me from crying. I bashed the Kenny Britt signing from the get go. He's bad and disinterested, can't catch, and breaks off routes. His attitude seems poor as well. Other than that he's an invaluable member of this football team.

4. Crow. Maybe Hue isn't giving the ball because you SUCK. Just a thought.

5. Jamar Taylor. There aren't enough characters to describe his poor play. WOW.

UP:

1. Schobert and Kirksey

2. Duke

3. Colquitt

DOWN:

1. Penalties...how many pass interference penalties -- O and D -- did we have for crying out loud, and for how many yards given up or lost?

2. WRs when they were not committing pass interference penalties

3. Kizer's accuracy or lack thereof. Yes, the WRs suck, but more than a few of the misses were because balls were thrown behind receivers or so otherwise off the mark as to require near highlight reel catches. Hue continuing to call low-percentage-of-completion pass plays doesn't help, either.

4. The coaching on both sides of the ball. D: Turning Hilton and Brissett into HOFs; O: A pass first, vertical passing "attack", if you want to call it that.

I am a firm believer in taking what the other team gives you and I did not see a willingness on Hue's or Williams' parts to deviate from their preconceived notions of what THEY wanted to do.

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

5 Up:

1. Kizer, despite all of the chaos, penalties, and dropped passes, he didn't flinch one bit. He was decisive and let it rip. I can get behind that,  the only thing I need to see more is him getting after these guys who drop passes and don't run full routes. He damn near was lights out with some of his passes.

2. The OL was much improved

3. Joe Schobert, the light switch has come on for this kid, he is playing at a really high level

4. Duke Johnson, he played really inspired, and was our only legitimate threat

5. Trevon Coley, lightning in a bottle?

t5. Seth Devalve

5 Down:

1. WR, the worst group of WRs I've seen with my own two eyes. A lot of fail in this room. I would take Josh Gordon yesterday

2. Hue Jackson, I was a big supporter of his but I am starting to become sour on him, we can't even do basic things offensively. This Colts game was an eye opener for me, Pagano is a lame duck coach and drew up an offense in the dirt that put up 31 points against us.

3. Gregg Williams, my guy, he has got some 'splaining to do. He seems stubborn and doesn't want to make adjustments to his defense, plus I don't see the fire out of him that I loved so much, I don't see the fire in his players. He better start lighting some fools up or its going to be a long season

4. Special teams, way too cautious and conservative. Coaching not to make a mistake

5. Our DL as a whole has been disappointing, with a few bright spots here and there.

t5. Peppers has made zero impact thus far.

I feel like Williams did adjust his game plan. The defense played pretty well in the second half cause they eliminated Indy's only real legit threat in Hilton.

Up:

1. Duke. Dude is very special when the ball is in his hands. He seems to have even improved as a runner, although it's hard to say cause he's had so few carries this season. But he's dangerous when he has the ball in space.

2. Kizer. Ugly stat line, but I think we can all agree he played better than his stats indicate. Still has a lot to work on, but I like what I've seen from him for the most part. Doesn't help that he can't trust any of his receivers.

3. LBs. Schobert seems like he's emerging as a solid starter. We seem to have a solid backup in Burgess as well.

4. TEs. Devalve, despite the penalty, made some plays. Seems like a top quality backup to Njoku in the future.

5. I guess the run defense? They seem to be vastly improved this year when it comes to that.

Down:

1. WRs. Just a disgusting performance. They're a bad unit with Coleman, so they're atrocious without him. Leslie and Williams better get more playing time as the season progresses, cause those two seem like the only ones worth anything. Their awful performance is far and away the worst thing about yesterday's game and was likely the reason why we lost.

2. Pass rush. Or lack thereof. Ogbah has been disappointing. Really hope Garrett returning will make things easier for the rest of the line.

3. Running game. We haven't run the ball much for a couple of reasons. For one, we're often playing from behind. But also because Crow hasn't done much. He'll break one for ten yards, and then have three or four runs that go absolutely no where. 

4. Hue Jackson. I still have faith in Hue, but I don't like how he's handled the receivers. Gotta take Britt and Louis out of the game when they're constantly dropping passes. 

5. Penalties. I know we're young so it's not surprising to have a lot of mental errors, but we've had so many each game so far. It's unacceptable.

1. Kizer, I like the kid, I am prepared to call him the GOAT.

2. Duke, he played lights out.

3. Joscho. he is playing well

4. Offensive line is getting better, Zeilter has better hands than Britt. 

5 TE's seem good. 

down

1 Greg williams, is the opposite of his hero bill Belichick

2. Jamar Taylor looks like the miami version

3. Hue Jackson, come'on man

4 . WR's not named Jordan Leslie

5. Kenny Britt, he is a liar and thief that can't catch. 

yeah, im not going to participate in the 5 up 5 down thing, I am going to add some comments to some things I've seen, however. 

1. The Ogbah hate is pretty ridiculous. Nobody expected Garrett to miss the first few games of the season. Hands down he is a more effective pass rusher than Nassib. The first two games, and pretty much the first half of game 3, teams were beating us by throwing over the middle of the field, using quick pass routes to beat our defense. The Gregg Williams man deep defense will work, and has worked, when you can pass rush effectively. Team's don't need to double team Nassib. He can be effective, but not like Garrett. There's a reason why, when Williams finally brought our safety up closer Sunday that the defense started to shut the Colts down. Our defense has shut the run down. Outside of a couple of plays, we have committed to stopping the run. Our corners have done a good job, especially being that none of them are elite, at being effective. Yes, they are vulnerable against quick, elusive guys like Brown and Hilton. Hilton had about 1500 yards last year for a reason. We finally double teamed him and wow, it shut him down. 

2. These are the right coaches for this team. Yes, Williams took too long to make the adjustments with the defense Sunday. Yes, Hue has done some questionable things in terms of clock and game management. The penalties are from this being a young football team. Peppers had the really bad PI call. Our young receivers, who, yes, aren't very good, had some stupid push offs that honestly weren't even needed. The drops were awful, but I can't blame coaching on the drops. 

I was just as pissed off as everyone else watching yesterday. Then I saw some life, and I was pissed again when we fell short again. Red Zone int's have killed us. We also scored touchdowns finally. Sadly, had our offense been what they were yesterday, we still lose that game but we are 2-1 on the season. Why we don't throw more shorter route passes to move the chains I don't know. Our offense looks pretty good when they make the short to intermediate routes. Our receivers just don't have the skillset right now to be trusted for the deep routes. Actually, the one guy we should make those calls with is Kenny Britt. Not because he has the world's most reliable hands, but because he actually, sort of like Braylon Edwards, seems to make the easy catches seem hard, and the hard catches seem easy. He had terrible drops, followed by a great sideline catch and an even better touchdown catch. Hopefully that wakes him up. 

26 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

2. These are the right coaches for this team. Yes, Williams took too long to make the adjustments with the defense Sunday. Yes, Hue has done some questionable things in terms of clock and game management. The penalties are from this being a young football team. Peppers had the really bad PI call. Our young receivers, who, yes, aren't very good, had some stupid push offs that honestly weren't even needed. The drops were awful, but I can't blame coaching on the drops. 

Heard Josh Cribbs tonight pinning the penalties on Hue being a "player's coach" and a resulting lack of discipline across the board.

I agree with Josh.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Heard Josh Cribbs tonight pinning the penalties on Hue being a "player's coach" and a resulting lack of discipline across the board.

I agree with Josh.

Kansas City

Pittsburgh

Jacksonville

Seattle 

Baltimore

Houston 

San Francisco

Detroit

All of these teams have had more penalties than we have had this season. Andy Reid. Pete Carroll. Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh. Some pretty solid "player's coaches" up there with the penalties. 

2016 we were the 7th least penalized team in the NFL. We were 2nd in average penalty yards per game in 2016. The offensive line penalties have been reduced a lot with the line we have constructed now. We have had a ton of OPI calls. It's not a Hue thing. It's a youth thing. The guys playing WR for us, for the most part, are in their first significant games of their careers. The Higgins push off was dumb. The Higgins "screen" on the crossing route was crap. The defender made no attempt to move, why does the WR have to deter from his route to get out of the CB's way? Makes no sense. The Peppers PI was bad, but the way he's been coached, you don't let a man or the ball get behind you. He had plenty of time to get in position and make the play, but for the first time a guy got behind him and he freaked. He will learn from it. Hue needs to be Hue. 

I can live with penalties on such a young team. Drops, not so much. Hue telling reporters to talk to Sashi about the roster? That I cant live with for even a minute. This was and is a dramatic rebuild, and such an endeaver requires total solidarity. That was a bad look from Hue, like a man feeling the media heat and the weight of his personal legacy. The front office and ownership made it perfectly clear that winning was not expected this year. This year is another step in the progression of this rebuild. You cant blame the front office because Kenny Britt decided to retire while still playing. They should have resigned Terrel Pryor? Ive heard of home team discounts, not home teams costing more to resign a guy. TP asked for more to resign with us than he was asking other teams. Should be the other way around, but it wasnt, so we went with Britt. They thought Britt and Coleman would be their 2 starters, Ricardo looked like an emerging talent in the spring, and Higgins flashes potential. So I get why we went with what we have. Our nerds do math, not fortune telling.

7 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Kansas City

Pittsburgh

Jacksonville

Seattle 

Baltimore

Houston 

San Francisco

Detroit

All of these teams have had more penalties than we have had this season. Andy Reid. Pete Carroll. Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh. Some pretty solid "player's coaches" up there with the penalties. 

2016 we were the 7th least penalized team in the NFL. We were 2nd in average penalty yards per game in 2016. The offensive line penalties have been reduced a lot with the line we have constructed now. We have had a ton of OPI calls. It's not a Hue thing. It's a youth thing. The guys playing WR for us, for the most part, are in their first significant games of their careers. The Higgins push off was dumb. The Higgins "screen" on the crossing route was crap. The defender made no attempt to move, why does the WR have to deter from his route to get out of the CB's way? Makes no sense. The Peppers PI was bad, but the way he's been coached, you don't let a man or the ball get behind you. He had plenty of time to get in position and make the play, but for the first time a guy got behind him and he freaked. He will learn from it. Hue needs to be Hue. 

You're wasting your time.

Bruce won' let facts get in the way of his narrative.

6 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Hue better be careful. Rare coaches get a third shot as head coaches. If he wants to OC for the rest of his life, then go ahead and burn Sashi, but Im sure Jimmy sides with Sashi, especially after the NFL world swooned over this past offseasons moves and draft.

I think you're blowing one comment out of proportion a bit.

Archived