2020 Draft Winners and losers

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Well the way I see it, a C is supposed to be an average grade.  If they're below average, then that at least starts them at like a C.

Writers inflate these grades worse than Ivy League profs.

Guess I'm doing it relative. I see Cards get A+ and Packers get C-, then I'm putting Pats somewhere in the middle of that, lower end middle. Meh.

So you'd give the Pats close to an F?

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Guess I'm doing it relative. I see Cards get A+ and Packers get C-, then I'm putting Pats somewhere in the middle of that, lower end middle. Meh.

So you'd give the Pats close to an F?

Closer to that than their B- average, at least.

I think they're probably the second lowest, just beaten out by the Packers.  They added Dugger, who might be good.  I don't have any access to his tape, then Uche, but that's about it.  They spent a fifth round pick on a kicker who has issues we can't talk about, and didn't do anything to address QB.  I mean, they came away with something, and maybe they want to tank a little bit for Lawrence or Fields, but who knows?  Just comparing the amount of talent they added and what they got for what they paid, I think they did terribly.

Of course, their picks are always weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

Closer to that than their B- average, at least.

I think they're probably the second lowest, just beaten out by the Packers.  They added Dugger, who might be good.  I don't have any access to his tape, then Uche, but that's about it.  They spent a fifth round pick on a kicker who has issues we can't talk about, and didn't do anything to address QB.  I mean, they came away with something, and maybe they want to tank a little bit for Lawrence or Fields, but who knows?  Just comparing the amount of talent they added and what they got for what they paid, I think they did terribly.

Of course, their picks are always weird.

Having a read of your draft thread, I can see you chose to omit Dugger because you didn't know enough about him (respect that, by the way. Much more trustworthy than those that either guess or just rehash what others have written) - but given that he was our first pick, I can see why you'd put us very low, if you didn't have anything on him.

I didn't like that pick either, but loved the Uche one. For me, he's underrated. Quick, great bend and he's got power (sat Wirfs on his A). He's small, but....

The TEs are a bit meh, but I think Asiasi can contribute in both blocking and receiving from day 1.

I wasn't massive on our draft either, so I'm not complaining :)

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Using your 1st rounder to trade for Stefon Diggs is pretty flashy/exciting I'd say. 

Agreed, I have doubts the WR that was used with that 1st round pick by the Vikings will be as good as Stefon Diggs, so I'd say overall that's a pretty flashy/exciting pick up with their 1st round pick.

• Like 1

This is not a unique opinion, but seriously, why even bother with these discussions before a practice is even held? Why aren't we talking about who won the 2016 or 2017 draft?

Every opinion on the current draft is based around three things... 

• Immediate positional need going into the draft
  • If a team drafted a big name player that fell despite media hype.
  • Fan bias. 

If your team drafted players at a position they need, and/or drafted players that were expected to go high, but didn't, then congratulations you get an "A++++ would draft again" grade. Never heard of a player? Or not a position of immediate need? "F- trash, Guess they'll be picking in the top-10 next year, with a new GM too."

Edited by Coffee & Contemplation

1 hour ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

This is not a unique opinion, but seriously, why even bother with these discussions before a practice is even held? Why aren't we talking about who won the 2016 or 2017 draft?

• Fan bias. 

If your team drafted players at a position they need, and/or drafted players that were expected to go high, but didn't, then congratulations you get an "A++++ would draft again" grade. Never heard of a player? Or not a position of immediate need? "F- trash, Guess they'll be picking in the top-10 next year, with a new GM too."

Dude, we have nothing else.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

• Fan bias. 

Because talking about players that have already been in the league for 4 years that we all have pretty consensus opinions on is boring to talk about.

It's fun to discuss and debate everyone's new shiny toys.

Don't be a downer big guy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

How the hell do actual people have this opinion?

Like, do you only participate in debates that are one hundred percent non-hypothetical and already in the past?

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

How the hell do actual people have this opinion?

Like, do you only participate in debates that are one hundred percent non-hypothetical and already in the past?

Exactly. Go look at how popular the draft thread grades are for 2020 vs. the 2017 re-grade one that just got posted. And no knock on that one, I'll enjoy it. Just less people care.

WINNERS:

COWBOYS CeeDee Lamb - while not filling their biggest need - was a steal and has to feel even better for the Cowboys knowing they snatched him away from the Eagles in the process. I thought Travon Diggs was a legit 1st round prospect so to get him that late in the 2nd is a steal. Neville Gallimore is a solid 3rd round pick and Tyler Biadasz will end up starting sooner rather than later, IMO.

PANTHERS Call me a homer, but I thought the Panthers had a great draft. I was VERY relieved when we passed on Isaiah Simmons and took Derrick Brown at #7 overall; I considered Brown the 2nd best overall prospect in this class, so obviously I'm happy to get him where we did. Yetur Gross-Matos in the 2nd was another great value as I fully expected him to go somewhere in the 20s and Jeremy Chinn in the late 2nd gives us the same skillset Isaiah Simmons would have in the 1st round but for nowhere near the cost. Kenny Robinson in the 5th could be a steal.

RAVENS: They got the best ILB in the draft in Patrick Queen and stole J.K. Dobbins in the 2nd round. Justin Madubuike was a steal in the 3rd as well and while Devin Duvernay was a slight reach in the 3rd, IMO, I really like Ben Bredeson in the 4th round and James Proche in the 6th. This feels like the perfect draft for a team that was already really good coming in.

BROWNS: I love this draft. Jedrick Wills was my favorite OT in this draft and was good value and filled a big need at #10. I love Grant Delpit in the 2nd; he could end up being one of the steals of this entire draft. Jordan Elliot was someone I thought had a chance to sneak into the late 1st round or go early in the 2nd, so to get him late in the 3rd was outstanding value, IMO. Harrison Bryant and Nick Harris were also both great value where they were taken. Very impressed with what the Browns did.

---------------------------------------

LOSERS:

BEARS: What is this draft? In terms of early impact, this class might be the worst in the league. Jaylon Johnson is a solid enough pick, but outside of him I feel like this has a chance to be one of those classes that washes out inside of 3 seasons.

PACKERS: This entire draft felt like one big "f*** you!" to Aaron Rodgers from the Packers organization. I can kind of understand wanting to have a young QB to groom behind Rodgers, but if you're going to go that route at least make an effort with the rest of your picks to give A-Rod some help for right NOW. I actually really like A.J. Dillon as a player, so I won't fault them TOO much for the player, but it does feel like they could have better spent that pick on a wideout. The TE they drafted (Josiah Deguara) was a reach and is also a pick they'd have been better served spending on a wideout.

EAGLES: The lone saving grace for this class, IMO, is John Hightower in the 5th round. Jalen Reagor in the 1st round was a reach based purely on need when the Eagles could have traded up and had their pick of the top 3 wideouts in the draft. Instead, they watched the Cowboys steal CeeDee Lamb right out from under them and used the pick they SHOULD have traded to move up to select Jalen Hurts. I'm a fan of Hurts, but there's no reason whatsoever the Eagles had any business taking a QB before the 4th round.

SEAHAWKS: I don't get taking Jordyn Brooks over Patrick Queen; in my view Queen was hands-down the better prospect, regardless of scheme. Darrell Taylor would have been a huge reach in the 2nd round under any circumstances, but for whatever reason the 'Hawks felt the need to trade up for him? Damien Lewis is a solid enough pick in the 3rd round and I do like DeeJay Dallas in the 4th round, but the rest of this draft is just a head-scratcher.

Edited by CatalystNX
  • Like 1