2020 Draft Winners and losers

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Want some peanut butter with that je(alou/lly)sy?

Yeah, right.

What part of my analysis is not rock solid fact about how the draft played out?

For another way to look at it. The 3rd WR taken off the board in the 2000s has almost never been the best.

• Jordy Nelson over DeSean Jackson might be the best case.
  • OBJ is a close 2nd to Mike Evans
  • Jeremy Maclin was a solid player but not on level with Edelman, Wallace, or Crabtree
    • mostly because of injury
  • Dwayne Bowe was fine I guess (1 really good season in year 4 after 3 productive years)
  • The rest are pretty much garbage.
  • 4 in 21 are not great odds

Now you want to just talk 3rd WR taken off the board in the top 20 picks in the 2000s?

• Mike Williams (Detroit)
  • Reggie Williams (JAX)
  • Bryant Johnson (AZ)
  • Javon Walker (GB)
  • Rod Gardner (DC)
  • Travis Taylor (BAL)
  • Jeremy Maclin (PHI)
  • Kendall Wright (TEN)
  • OBJ (Giants)
  • DeVante Parker (MIA)
  • John Ross (CIN)

5 busts, 4 decent NFL players, 1 very good WR who had injuries, and OBJ

None of those 10 guys were the best of their draft class

2 had star potential (Maclin and OBJ)

But if you say so then the 3rd WR drafted this year must be a lock for the Hall of Fame. 

Put this Cowboys draft up there with the 1974 Steelers. xD

6 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Yeah, right.

What part of my analysis is not rock solid fact about how the draft played out?

For another way to look at it. The 3rd WR taken off the board in the 2000s has almost never been the best.

• Jordy Nelson over DeSean Jackson might be the best case.
  • OBJ is a close 2nd to Mike Evans
  • Jeremy Maclin was a solid player but not on level with Edelman, Wallace, or Crabtree
    • mostly because of injury
  • Dwayne Bowe was fine I guess (1 really good season in year 4 after 3 productive years)
  • The rest are pretty much garbage.
  • 4 in 21 are not great odds

Now you want to just talk 3rd WR taken off the board in the top 20 picks in the 2000s?

• Mike Williams (Detroit)
  • Reggie Williams (JAX)
  • Bryant Johnson (AZ)
  • Javon Walker (GB)
  • Rod Gardner (DC)
  • Travis Taylor (BAL)
  • Jeremy Maclin (PHI)
  • Kendall Wright (TEN)
  • OBJ (Giants)
  • DeVante Parker (MIA)
  • John Ross (CIN)

5 busts, 4 decent NFL players, 1 very good WR who had injuries, and OBJ

None of those 10 guys were the best of their draft class

2 had star potential (Maclin and OBJ)

But if you say so then the 3rd WR drafted this year must be a lock for the Hall of Fame. 

Put this Cowboys draft up there with the 1974 Steelers. xD

So a guy who was not the first at his position taken is not considered a steal and unlikely to be good. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would find this a fascinating read. Like a Mad Magazine. 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I thought Baltimore killed it. 

While I didn’t think it was horrible, I felt like the Dolphins had a poor draft given the assets they had. I didn’t really like any of their picks outside of Tua. 

How did Baltimore kill it. None of those guys were first off the board of their respective position. No way they did good. Just read the post before yours. Lol

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

So a guy who was not the first at his position taken is not considered a steal and unlikely to be good. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would find this a fascinating read. Like a Mad Magazine. 

I am just saying that you don't have to worship a team and insult the rest of the teams because a player fell and MUST be the god of his position because you say so.

Brady Quinn fell just like Aaron Rodgers and I find all of Quinn's analysis to be hilarious whenever he is working at his 2nd career.

He had a wonderful shot at Wentz about never winning X games.  Wentz won more games in the next 2 months after that than Quinn did for his career.

Edited by SkippyX

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Here's a classic 2017 Draft Grades page:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-results

The Mahomes and Watson write ups are comedy gold.

He even plays the BAD AT READING DEFENSES card on Watson.

McCaffery gets a D+ xD

Two more guys who were not selected first. They must suck. 🤣

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

I am just saying that you don't have to worship a team and insult the rest of the teams because a player fell and MUST be the god of his position because you say so.

Brady Quinn fell just like Aaron Rodgers and I find all of Quinn's analysis to be hilarious whenever he is working at his 2nd career.

When did insult anyone's draft in this thread?

Edited by Calvert28

Just now, SkippyX said:

Wow, you are so clever. You should run and show your laptop to mommy after that zinger.

Your entire basis for saying Ceedee Lamb wasn't a steal is because he was the 3rd receiver off the board. And because Philly didn't trade up for him. How do you know they didn't try? Dallas received calls from 3 different teams to move up to their spot? Also heres this tidbit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/4/24/21234846/nfl-draft-2020-rumors-philadelphia-eagles-ceedee-lamb-jalen-reagor-news-dallas-cowboys-wide-receiver

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Your entire basis for saying Ceedee Lamb wasn't a steal is because he was the 3rd receiver off the board. And because Philly didn't trade up for him. How do you know they didn't try? Dallas received calls from 3 different teams to move up to their spot? Also heres this tidbit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/4/24/21234846/nfl-draft-2020-rumors-philadelphia-eagles-ceedee-lamb-jalen-reagor-news-dallas-cowboys-wide-receiver

He was a great value for the pick. It was a surprise that he was there.

Its a draft and a crap shoot. He could be Terrell Owens or David Terrell.

They also abandoned every need they had to take him there.

The point is that every moron thinks they know better than NFL GMs and EVERY NFL GM passed on CeeDee Lamb until pick 17.

As I said above, this included the team who drafted him and the Eagles who both could have traded up. He was not worth the cost to them.

Another aspect of this is that every year 47 guys are round 1 picks.

The 32 guys who go in round 1 and the 17 guys who should have gone in round 1 because we are all smarter than NFL GMs.

Well, we are probably all smarter than BOB, but not most GMs.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He was a great value for the pick. It was a surprise that he was there.

Its a draft and a crap shoot. He could be Terrell Owens or David Terrell.

They also abandoned every need they had to take him there.

The point is that every moron thinks they know better than NFL GMs and EVERY NFL GM passed on CeeDee Lamb until pick 17.

As I said above, this included the team who drafted him and the Eagles who both could have traded up. He was not worth the cost to them.

Another aspect of this is that every year 47 guys are round 1 picks.

The 32 guys who go in round 1 and the 17 guys who should have gone in round 1 because we are all smarter than NFL GMs.

Well, we are probably all smarter than BOB, but not most GMs.

.....you do know what a steal is right? Just because 20 teams pass on a guy does not mean they have some grand insight as to why he was not worth the pick. He fell when he should have, just because a team passes on Russell Wilson to draft Robert Griffen does not make Wilson any less of a steal, in fact he fits the description of a steal. 

Do these same GMs know it was best to pass on Patrick Mahomes? How did that know how work out for the ones that passed on him that thought he wasn't worth the pick? 

I'm kind of surprised the Bengals haven't been mentioned more as winners. I thought they had an excellent haul from rounds 1-7. These are my thoughts/grades based on the prospect, positional value, and need.

First and foremost, we landed Joe Burrow - which I think gets kind of overlooked here. We needed a quarterback and got a premier first round talent. The rest of the draft should have been geared towards surrounding Burrow with talent to flourish. They did just that by taking Tee Higgins at the top of 2. As a receiver he's a perfect fit to pair with Burrow - he can stretch the field and excels on back shoulder throws. Going into the third there was still an obvious need at linebacker (preferably adept in coverage) . I like how we didn't reach on a LB at 33 and were able to nab one of the better off-ball linebackers in Logan Wilson at the top of 3; great value considering he was getting early 2nd buzz leading up to the draft. The argument could be made that the offensive line could have very easily been addressed here with Josh Jones in the 3rd, but I won't fault the Bengals for sticking to their board. Round 4 is when things get open to more criticism, with the need for LB is no longer a necessity. There were some guards/tackles there worth considering (John Simpson) that could have competed for starting jobs, but the Bengals once again stuck to their board and took their highest graded player in Davis-Gaither (who they would have considered at the top of 3). Love the prospect and value, not really a huge fan of double-dipping at a devalued position (off-ball LB), but it was no secret we sorely needed an infusion of talent in the LB room. The Khalid Kareem pick was just meh - just a developmental prospect with upside. Par for the course at this portion of the draft. I would have liked to see them address the OL (Shane Lemieux) before edge, but again, can't really fault them for staying with their board. Hakeem Adeniji was a nice pick up this late, which kind of salvaged not taking an OL prospect earlier - he was another good value. The Markus Bailey pick was fantastic. Low risk, high upside. I don't mind the overkill at LB here as a healthy Bailey like doesn't get out of the 3rd. 

Overall we went BPA at every draft slot and almost always came away with excellent value. Maybe that's innate with picking 1st each round, but regardless, I thought they did a stellar job. My only gripe is neglecting OL early. In hindsight, taking Josh Jones in the 3rd and still landing ADG in the 4th would have made the first four picks A+. The rest just would have been gravy. Here's how I see it:

1. Joe Burrow [QB/LSU] - A+

2. Tee Higgins [WR/Clemson] - A-

3. Logan Wilson [LB/Wyoming] - A-

4. Akeem Davis-Gaither [LB/Appalachian State] - B+

5. Khalid Kareem [DE/Notre Dame] - B

6. Hakeem Adeniji [OL/Kansas] - B+

7. Markus Bailey [ LB/Purdue] - A-

Overall: A-

• Like 3