1. 1. Your grade for Broncos 2020 draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Disturbing

12 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Really thing Agim is going to surprise people. He has elite physical attributes outside height, which doesn’t really matter. It’s all about arm length.

Agim 6’3 309lbs 33.5 length 10.5 hands 4.98 40

DreMont 6’3 281lbs 33.75 length 9.5 hands 5.12 40 

He is a more gifted athlete than Jones, just landed at a bad program and was keyed in on by OL his whole career. 

Considering it’s a position where we really need depth + future starters it looks like an intriguing pick for sure 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While the individual players and picks themselves are up for debate, and no one will really know how we did for at least another year, I like the overall approach. 

I like that we emphasized experience, productivity, character and leadership, we drafted a lot of team captains and guys who have lots of starts/games played under their belts. Other than two picks late on day three, eight of our 10 draftees are from power-five conferences and the other two come from successful MWC and FBS schools with track records of producing quality NFL talent. 

Seems like a few of the day 2/3 picks have boom/bust potential but you have to love the upside Agim, Albert O, Tuszka, Strnad and Muti. If you’re going to gamble on upside, better to do it on the back half of the draft. Hamler and Ojemudia are the two picks I do question. A top-50 pick is a premium place to take a gadjet player who will have to be schemed for and likely only sees 4-6 plays for him per game. He’s dynamic and brings game-breaking ability I like but I think at #46 we could have found a CB, ILB or even OL who contributes more play to play, series to series. I Ojemudia’s upside and potential a lot, and his intangibles are off the charts which is always good. But it seemed a lot of the experts had other CBs ranked higher. 

All in all it was a very good draft. I loved the overall approach and I like all the players and and love some. I give the draft a B+, which is a very good grade. 

I agree with nearly everything here, except for Hamler being a gadget player. I have watched nearly every Penn State game the last few years (wife + all friends are alumni). Hamler is a dynamic WR who can take the lid off a defense. I think it's fair to question the double dip that early, but gadget player he is not. Lynn Bowden (who I like) is a gadget player. I expect that Hamler will be on the field most of the time in the second half of the season, especially considering what the Giants offense looked like last year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

8th best draft grade according to this aggregator, the other 3 AFC West teams in the bottom half. So odds are we gained significant ground on the division this weekend. 

Man I'm surprised how good the Bengals were graded. Ok they got Burrow and some pretty nice players in Logan Wilson, ADG and Markus Bailey, but boy they all are linebackers. I'm pretty sure a team that had the worst record lat year didn't had the luxury to pick 3 linebackers.

I'm also pretty down on the Tee Higgins pick. That team has A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd and John Ross on the roster and pick a WR that although has some pretty good numbers can't really separate from CBs at 33. He probably be a guy that has a long career, but I doubt he will justify that pick.

29 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with nearly everything here, except for Hamler being a gadget player. I have watched nearly every Penn State game the last few years (wife + all friends are alumni). Hamler is a dynamic WR who can take the lid off a defense. I think it's fair to question the double dip that early, but gadget player he is not. Lynn Bowden (who I like) is a gadget player. I expect that Hamler will be on the field most of the time in the second half of the season, especially considering what the Giants offense looked like last year. 

Having watched Hamler a lot more than I have (admittedly on both) do you see an ever-down slot? 

Given our roster, I expect a lot of 11 and 12 personnel, the 2nd TE being a big part in 12. Can Hamler handle the duties of a normal slot? His physical skills are undeniable but can he function in that part of the offense down to down? 

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Having watched Hamler a lot more than I have (admittedly on both) do you see an ever-down slot? 

Given our roster, I expect a lot of 11 and 12 personnel, the 2nd TE being a big part in 12. Can Hamler handle the duties of a normal slot? His physical skills are undeniable but can he function in that part of the offense down to down? 

I think for sure.  He’s small, but very tough. Why he’s one of my favorites in this draft.  While he isn’t a precise route runner, his speed alone will make him a nightmare to cover and while he gets the nuances of the position figured out. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I could watch Hamler run those slot fades all day. He's such a fun player. 

Route running isn't advanced like Jeudy, but they both get in and out of breaks so effortlessly. 

Hamler is so explosive though as well as Jeudy yards after catch will be impressive

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I could watch Hamler run those slot fades all day. He's such a fun player. 

Route running isn't advanced like Jeudy, but they both get in and out of breaks so effortlessly. 

Yep.  Again what made him one of my favorites is his effort.  He plays hard and it will matter.  Not that he’s a guy you want taking massive shots over the middle, but he actually plays more physical than Jeudy with more effort as a run blocker.  The guy just loves football.

I am going to try and watch as many games from 2019 where we have multiple draft picks playing in the same game, just to get a feel for them.

It's always much easier for DL/OL because you don't need all 22, but given our top two picks are WRs, I am going to have to get some WR film in.

Alabama - LSU
Alabama - Arkansas
Penn State - Iowa
LSU - Arkansas
LSU - Vanderbilt
Arkansas - Missouri
Missouri - Florida
Missouri - Vanderbilt
Florida - Vanderbilt

All of those games have multiple players from our draft & UDFA class. From the remaining schools we have players from, here are the best competition those players faced (bold is school our player attended):

Texas Tech - Oklahoma
Texas Tech - Oklahoma State
Central Arkansas - Illinois State
Western Michigan - Michigan State
North Dakota State - James Madison
Fresno State - USC
Wake Forest - Clemson
Wake Forest - Michigan State

Sorry guys, not much out there for Tarleton State ... Disclaimer - I haven't checked to see if our players were playing in these games, so I would do that if you are planning on watching them. Hopefully they are on youtube for you.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am going to try and watch as many games from 2019 where we have multiple draft picks playing in the same game, just to get a feel for them.

It's always much easier for DL/OL because you don't need all 22, but given our top two picks are WRs, I am going to have to get some WR film in.

Alabama - LSU
Alabama - Arkansas
Penn State - Iowa
LSU - Arkansas
LSU - Vanderbilt
Arkansas - Missouri
Missouri - Florida
Missouri - Vanderbilt
Florida - Vanderbilt

All of those games have multiple players from our draft & UDFA class. From the remaining schools we have players from, here are the best competition those players faced (bold is school our player attended):

Texas Tech - Oklahoma
Texas Tech - Oklahoma State
Central Arkansas - Illinois State
Western Michigan - Michigan State
North Dakota State - James Madison
Fresno State - USC
Wake Forest - Clemson
Wake Forest - Michigan State

Sorry guys, not much out there for Tarleton State ... Disclaimer - I haven't checked to see if our players were playing in these games, so I would do that if you are planning on watching them. Hopefully they are on youtube for you.

FF Astronaut is a good website for tape cut ups, but it’s from the TV copy rather than all-22. Where do you get college all-22 from? 

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don't see why he can't be an every down slot, personally. He's small, but he's willing to mix it up. In an offense like the Giants had last year where you saw 3 WRs on the field, I think he can be a productive option.

Overall, I am giving the draft an A-

Jerry Jeudy- A+. Undeniable this was a tremendous pick, arguably the best WR in this draft and maybe the last few drafts, and we got him at 15. 

KJ Hamler- B+. I like Hamler for what he can bring to this offense that's been sorely lacking. I would personally have preferred a CB here, but I do understand the logic.

Michael Ojemudia- C. I get he's a scheme fit and all, but it does concern me that his production doesn't match what I think the coaching staff expects him to do. Position wise it's a good pick, he's tailor made for the zone scheme. I felt it's personally a bit of an overdraft, however.

Lloyd Cushenberry- A. Can't argue this pick. Likely Day 1 started at OC at pick 83? Sign me up.

McTelvin Agim- B. Not an awful pick. Position of need, and maybe a slight overdraft, but Agim, IMO, was hindered by an insanely bad Arkansas team. I think as a rotational piece, especially on passing downs, he's going to cause so much havoc.

Albert Okwuegbunam- A. From a BPA standpoint, hard to argue against Albert O. He had a down season once Lock left, but the guy has a nose for the end zone, and we're seeing more offense diversify the TE position. Getting a guy with his speed, and especially his red zone capability seems like a huge plus.

Justin Strnad- A-. I like this pick more than the media seems to. Strnad was a very solid LB for Wake who unfortunately got injured. Works to our advantage, because truthfully, I can see Strnad being a starting OLB for this team by 2021.

Netane Muti- A+. Absolute homerun pick in terms of where we drafted Muti and what he could be. It's an injury risk, sure, but if healthy, I don't even think it's a stretch to say he could start Day 1.

Tyrie Cleveland- C-. I didn't like this pick. It's late in the draft, hard to nitpick too much, but seemed superfluous and I question not taking at least one developmental tackle.

Derrek Tuszka- A. Another incredible value pick. Was expecting this guy to be gone in R4/R5, so to get him this late is a great flyer.

UDFAs- A. Love Essang Bassey, I think he'll make the team. Bellamy may well make the team too. I could also see Coleman being a fringe roster guy.

Overlooked something, I think if you include the picks we traded for AJ Bouye and Jurrell Casey, there's no way this isn't an A+ draft. I revise my previous grade. To get the players we got, plus a starting #1 CB and a Pro Bowl DT, that's one hell of an offseason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Overlooked something, I think if you include the picks we traded for AJ Bouye and Jurrell Casey, there's no way this isn't an A+ draft. I revise my previous grade. To get the players we got, plus a starting #1 CB and a Pro Bowl DT, that's one hell of an offseason.

im glad you didn't call him a "pro bowl" CB like local media since that has been fairly disingenuous considering he had a down year lol