1. 1. Your grade for Broncos 2020 draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Disturbing

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Overlooked something, I think if you include the picks we traded for AJ Bouye and Jurrell Casey, there's no way this isn't an A+ draft. I revise my previous grade. To get the players we got, plus a starting #1 CB and a Pro Bowl DT, that's one hell of an offseason.

OUT: Flacco, Sanders, McGovern, Leary, Wolfe, C. Harris, Parks, Scangarello

IN: Gordon, Glasgow, Bouye, Casey, Chubb, J. James, Shurmur

Plus an A-/B+ draft, and some added experience for Lock, and I think you’ve got a noticeably improved team. I’d set the O/U on wins at 8.5 right now.

• Like 2

Ya, if you take into account the picks dealt for AJ and Casey, this draft is unquestionably at A+. 

The only pick that I wouldnt grade at least a B is Michael Ojemudia, but even then he is arguably one of the top zone-dominant CB's in the entire draft. As I said in another thread, he is one of the few CB scouting reports that highlights numerous times his zone coverage abilities. It looks like a Vic pick and while 77 was early, some later steals can arguably make up for the overdrafting.

I actually like the Cleveland pick. Yes, we had already taken two WR, but neither is a high point threat. Cleveland has nice developmental potential as a possession guy and someone who can win when the ball is in the air. I dont see that in Jerry or KJ, probably each of their biggest weaknesses IMO. And the kid can block, ideally he can be a ST player and win a spot over DaeSean, who I think may be on the bubble since he hasnt shown any ST abilities. 

Maybe we could get a 2021 R6 for Hamilton?

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Overlooked something, I think if you include the picks we traded for AJ Bouye and Jurrell Casey, there's no way this isn't an A+ draft. I revise my previous grade. To get the players we got, plus a starting #1 CB and a Pro Bowl DT, that's one hell of an offseason.

Absolutely fair take - even if Bouye and Casey get hurt week 1, process-wise it was a slam dunk move.  If they play even at league-average levels, it's a win (which to be fair, Bouye was probably even a little below-average last year - but he's been elite before too, so hoping we at least split the difference lol).   With Casey it's really just about age-related decline risk.  Either way, though, the draft capital price is so low, it's pretty much a no-lose situation, especially since we don't have a lot of guaranteed years in the equation, but have team options if they still are playing at a high level.   Given the low price tag pick-wise, it's almost preferable to FA, since you aren't committing to a lot of extra guaranteed years if it doesn't work out.

Edited by Broncofan

Broncos fanbase has really gotten ugly towards Bolles, IMO. The way fans and media talk about this dude is not cool. At all. He's a human doing his best.

I actually think Bolles is the most hated Denver sports figure outside of McDaniels in my lifetime. I can't really think of someone that comes that close. Rahim Moore was mostly after the fact.

To me.....I don't know how any fan can't at least be very excited about what this draft means for our football team. I totally understand the desire to upgrade Bolles, or questioning the value of Hamler.....but...like...our offense has SUCKED for 5 years. It's been a chore to watch this team. And we just added two great talents, with great character, that are going to electrify the offense. Are we going to win a super bowl this year? No. But we might not suck to watch for the first time in years. 

Edited by champ11

Listening to the podcast now. Schlereth was right that they could have taken an OT in Round 2 (Josh Jones specifically). Hamler can run fast, but he has the dropsies. At the end of day, it's about catching the ball, not out-running guys.

Here's what's funny: On Mile High Report, they are calling people that want a tackle the Tackle Bros (as sort-of a dig). Why? Is it because people don't want 13 holding calls (like Schlereth was alluding to this morning)? If Belichick was the HC, Bolles wouldn't be on this team (and, I don't want to hear the excuse that we don't have Belichick).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Dmac has been obnoxious on Twitter about this all week. I'm not clear who they wanted at 15, so that's ridiculous. Josh Jones went R3, so you're now talking a 1-round overdraft (roughly).

I do share some surprise about not drafting an OT, don't get me wrong. But I think it's convenient to point to the Hamler pick as the one, where I could argue the Okuwuegbunam pick and/or the non-Cushenberry R3 picks are a place you could be questioning the decision instead. 

There is one curious thing to look back on in the 3rd: if they liked Cushenberry as their center of the future, passing on him at 77 seems pretty reckless. Hennessy goes right after and Dallas picked at 82 and needed an immediate starter badly. 

Clearly they were VERY high on Ojemudia. I think they even alluded to wanting to move up for him. Imagine the reaction from fans if that happened.

Edited by BroncoBruin

Everyone who complains about the Hamler pick should promise not to celebrate any points scored by the offense this year when he is on the field.  Who the hell cares if he doesn’t have the greatest hands (which, as far as I can tell, is a lazy take.  But let’s pretend it’s true). As a defense, do you just ignore him and let him get behind you every play because he might drop 1 out of every 10 TD’s you’ve just given him.?.  What total BS. Hamler will dictate defenses EVEN IF HE NEVER GETS THROWN TO, AND ESPECIALLY IF HE JUST HAS AN OCCASIONAL DROP. He will open up the field for Sutton and Jeudy and Fant and they will feast.  

My prediction: Denver will average 25 points per game by the 2nd half of the season (it will take some time for them to grow into this offense with new OC and new players), and Bolles will still be averaging ~ .75 holds per game, AND NO ONE WILL CARE!  Bolles is the fall guy for a horrid offense. Fix the offense, and nobody will care that he gets a holding call per game.  And before you say “BUT, BUT, BUT...How can they score all those points if Bolles still gets .75 holds per game, ARE YOU F-N KIDDING ME?  So they have one extra 3rd and 15 per game (or in 12 games to be accurate). Go 5 wide with Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, and Albert O.  You tell me which defense in the league matches up with that.?

And instead of that, they want to replace Bolles with a Rookie?  Or for that matter a free agent that only gets 8 holds a year?  Right. 40 yards per year fewer penalties  vs having the game changing nature of having 1 of the fastest players in the NFL out there virtually every play.  

Not even close to a hard choice.  

Edited by DiehardBronxFan
Fixed several typos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

There was no OT to take at 15 so Schlereth can pointlessly cry about that forever if he wants. 

I noticed that both former Olinemen were pounding the table for Olinemen while the former WR's were wanting receivers.....shocking right ??