1. 1. Your grade for Broncos 2020 draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Disturbing

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Boy The Fan is just absolutely killing the Broncos draft. As negative as all get-out. Wow. 

Schlereth pointing to Kiper disliking our draft because it’s more tools than production, when PFF (who is all about production over tools) gave us an A+ is incredible. I can’t imagine anyone caring what that guy has to say. 

• Like 6

I would have been very dissapointed if we reached on a OT in R2 over Hamler. This is a kid who looks a ton like DaeSean Jackson, but plays tougher. The drops were bad, but you remove that wart and he isnt available at 2.46. Your not getting a perfect prospect, at any position, outside the top 5 - 10 picks in a draft. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Dmac has been obnoxious on Twitter about this all week. I'm not clear who they wanted at 15, so that's ridiculous. Josh Jones went R3, so you're now talking a 1-round overdraft (roughly).

I do share some surprise about not drafting an OT, don't get me wrong. But I think it's convenient to point to the Hamler pick as the one, where I could argue the Okuwuegbunam pick and/or the non-Cushenberry R3 picks are a place you could be questioning the decision instead. 

In the ‘Are You Smarter’ thread, we were doing our own total drafts, but if we picked each spot with what Elway had already done up until that point, Niang was my undisputed favourite at 3.95 (he went to the Chiefs with the next pick, I already had Josh Jones at 2.46). I think that was a much better marriage of value+need than Agim. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Pretty much. The general consensus is that we should have drafted an OT with one of the first two picks. 

As much as I said we should take OT if the top 3 WR went by 1.15 - that “consensus” is a beyond-ridiculous statement.   The top 3 OT (personally I wouldn’t have included Becton there with the other 3) were easy top 12 picks imo.    But all 4 going (and some weirdness) is why both Jeudy and Lamb were there at 15.    

I personally had Johnson highest BPA at 2.46 - and Hamler wasn’t as high as some other WR’s.   But my argument has been the CB-3.77 WR combo would outproduce Hamler-CB.   Time will tell.  But to criticize Elway by not forcing a T pick at 1.15 is beyond ridiculous.   And the way round 2 unfolded with all the CB’s falling (I really didn’t see either Johnson or Fulton falling to 46 - some of the CB picks were really out there), I don’t sweat Elway passing on T Rd1-2.   To kill him for that is puzzling.  

Edited by Broncofan

But to criticize Elway by not forcing a T pick at 1.15 is beyond ridiculous.   And the way round 2 unfolded with all the CB’s falling (I really didn’t see either Johnson or Fulton falling to 46 - some of the CB picks were really out there), I don’t sweat Elway passing on T Rd1-2.   To kill him for that is puzzling.

Forcing a pick for some middling low upside OT at 4.118 rather than shooting for the moon on an elite physical talent at TE would have been so foolish. That isnt how you beat KC, or win a Super Bowl, in this era. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Forcing a pick for some middling low upside OT at 4.118 rather than shooting for the moon on an elite physical talent at TE would have been so foolish. That isnt how you beat KC, or win a Super Bowl, in this era. 

I thought it was a great pick. In one season we've gone from a below average receiving corp to one thats good, strong and deep. Lose your 6' 5" 250 lb 4.5 40  TE to an injury and just trot out another one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

As much as I’m not a big Albert O fan I can appreciate the upside approach Day 3.  Rather see the home run picks.  I would have gone Amik Robertson but I prefer upside as well.    

Once Elway missed out on the top 3 T at 1.15 it just didn’t work out to get T value-wise in the first 100+ picks other than Bartch at 95 (my only T pick in the pick’ em game and he’s also G-capable).  That’s ok - as much as I thought very highly of the top 3 T Jeudy falling to us was a gift.   I was always under the assumption 2 of 3 WR and 3 T would be gone at a minimum at 1.15, and Jeudy / Lamb were goners by 12.   

I really do think Jeudy’s going to be the top WR of a special draft class.   I still am floored he fell that hard.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I would have gone Amik Robertson but I prefer upside as well.

I too would have much preferred Amik, he isnt just another DB but a true instinctual playmaker. As I keep saying, to win these days you need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Thats what this sport is at this point. Deep down I knew we would pass on Amik as we clearly are going after longer, taller DB's. Foolish metric that can delete a great talent like Amik off the board. I think he is a better player than Callahan as early as this season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I too would have much preferred Amik, he isnt just another DB but a true instinctual playmaker. As I keep saying, to win these days you need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Thats what this sport is at this point. Deep down I knew we would pass on Amik as we clearly are going after longer, taller DB's. Foolish metric that can delete a great talent like Amik off the board. I think he is a better player than Callahan as early as this season. 

Yeah don’t get me wrong my objection with Albert O at the time was that a more polished high ceiling playmaker was still there.  Loved Robertson his ball instincts and toughness are off the charts.   He will challenge the Raiders’ recent inability to develop CB’s.  

Troy Renck sheds some light on the decision-making by Elway & Co. in the 2nd round to go with Hamler over Cleveland and Jones. 

The Broncos passed on left tackles Josh Jones and Ezra Cleveland in the second round because, per sources, they didn’t believe either would beat out Garett Bolles or Elijah Wilkinson as rookies. As such, adding a backup tackle wouldn’t help this season as much as a starting slot receiver.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, once Thomas went off the board the chance for a day one starting rookie LT dropped like a stone.

I think this tells us loud and clear that they’ve had Glasgow at RG in stone for a while. Looking for a starting caliber C, not an OG (like Jones could’ve been.)