1. 1. Your grade for Broncos 2020 draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Disturbing

15 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think this tells us loud and clear that they’ve had Glasgow at RG in stone for a while. Looking for a starting caliber C, not an OG (like Jones could’ve been.)

The three things I've taken away from the draft and FA are 1) They want no pressure on Lock up the middle. As a team we've never had so much talent between the tackles.

2) They figure the solution to our OT depth is either on the roster or a cheap FA. 

3) They like the OT starters we have

Lock isnt the type of athlete that is going to athletically escape interior pressure, but he is the type that can move on the run outside the tackles and throw a lazer. I think thats where the interior emphasis came from. 

We dont have perfect OT's, but they were better than the available options. The idea that some middle round pick would beat out Bolles or James has always been nuts. Fanbases love a whipping boy and OT's make the perfect target since their mistakes puts the teams MVP, the QB, in the dirt. But in reality, we have two middle of the road starters at OT, and thats better than many teams can say. 

That being said, I dont think the FO is making the right call in believing that our OT depth is currently on this roster. After a solid CB2 and a solid S3, the OT depth is our 3rd main weakness on this squad. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The three things I've taken away from the draft and FA are 1) They want no pressure on Lock up the middle. As a team we've never had so much talent between the tackles.

2) They figure the solution to our OT depth is either on the roster or a cheap FA. 

Feels more like they had more confidence (however questionable or undiscovered that truly is) in the current OT's than the current WR's and I must admit I believe that too.  I do question the selection of Agim (who I do like) over Bartch (who I liked more), that was as big of a head-scratcher Ojemudia over Dantzler to me, a backup DL over a potential starter at OT....WOW !?!?

Also I think they were looking ahead to next years draft, great for OT's (as well as WR's) but build QB-WR chemistry with Lock now, improve protection next year.

Edited by Cutler06

46 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Lock isnt the type of athlete that is going to athletically escape interior pressure, but he is the type that can move on the run outside the tackles and throw a lazer. I think thats where the interior emphasis came from. 

We dont have perfect OT's, but they were better than the available options. The idea that some middle round pick would beat out Bolles or James has always been nuts. Fanbases love a whipping boy and OT's make the perfect target since their mistakes puts the teams MVP, the QB, in the dirt. But in reality, we have two middle of the road starters at OT, and thats better than many teams can say. 

That being said, I dont think the FO is making the right call in believing that our OT depth is currently on this roster. After a solid CB2 and a solid S3, the OT depth is our 3rd main weakness on this squad. 

Maybe, but I can't imagine they don't have a better "Plan B" than they had last year, that being Wilkerson when James goes down. Wilkerson's a decent OG backup but last years experiment at OT was pretty much a disaster.

Could be we've got this years version of Matt Lepsis right now. Candidates?

1) Schlottman': Recruited out of HS (Texas 4A All Star as an OT). Definitely tough enough and has a body type much better suited to the outside.

2) Calvin Anderson:  4 year starter at LT (Rice and Texas) Could be surprising what a year in an NFL strength and condtioning program along with coaching from Munch and Kuper could do for him.

3) Quinn Bailey : See above, just swap schools to ASU.

Anyway, just some options. I just don't see us using the same OT backup group as last year. 

Feels more like they had more confidence (however questionable or undiscovered that truly is) in the current OT's than the current WR's and I must admit I believe that too.  I do question the selection of Agim (who I do like) over Bartch (who I liked more), that was as big of a head-scratcher Ojemudia over Dantzler to me, a backup DL over a potential starter at OT....WOW !?!?

I liked Bartch a lot too, mostly as an OG but he has a fighting chance to be an OT. But, has Elway ever drafted a small school player? He seems to stick to at least mid majors. 

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I liked Bartch a lot too, mostly as an OG but he has a fighting chance to be an OT. But, has Elway ever drafted a small school player? He seems to stick to at least mid majors. 

Took Tuszka out of NDSU this year. Also Julius Thomas from Portland State and Brendan Langley out of Lamar. I think that’s it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I believe we will know how they feel about Bolles in the next week or so, with a May 4th deadline on picking up the 5th year option. Do we know how much $ that is against the cap for 2021? I tried looking for Ryan Ramczyk numbers but couldn't find any.

Regardless, I think picking up Bolles 5th year option is the right move. What are we gonna do next year if not, rely on a 2021 draft pick to protect Lock's blindside in a playoff push? 

14 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Tuszka, as mentioned, went to NDSU. The last three drafts, all of which have garnered good grades from fans, media and analysts, have featured prospects from power-5 conferences. 

From 2017 backwards, however, we went with a lot more small school and non-power-5 players. In 2017, we took Carlos Henderson from LA Tech, Brendan Langley from Lamar, D'Angelo Henderson from Coastal Carolina. Paxton Lynch (Memphis), Riley Dixon (Syracuse), Ty Sambrailo (CSU), Lorenzo Doss (Tulane), Taurean Nixon (Tulane), Matt Paradis (Boise St), Kayvon Webster (South Florida), Quanterus Smith (Western Kentucky), Zac Dysert (Miami of Ohio), Derek Wolfe (Cincinatti), Ronnie Hillman (SDSU), Julius Thomas (Portland State) and Virgil Green (Nevada) are all the rest of Elway's non-power-5 draft picks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

I believe we will know how they feel about Bolles in the next week or so, with a May 4th deadline on picking up the 5th year option. Do we know how much $ that is against the cap for 2021? I tried looking for Ryan Ramczyk numbers but couldn't find any.

The 5th year option for 2016 OL picks between 11-32 was $10.35M. So I’d guess Bolles’ option would be in the $10.75-11M range.

• Like 1