2020 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

I'm not overly optimistic with our team additions. I'm sure none of us are. Whilst I fully accept we made those picks with LaFleur's style of offence in mind, it was where and when we made those picks I have a problem with.

Dillion is a 4-5th rounder, Deguara is a 5-6th rounder. Nothing will convince me otherwise. 

Whilst the rest of the NFL is getting smaller and faster with lots of 3, 4 and 5 WR sets and in turn causing fewer DL and more DB on the field as a result, its possible Gute and LaFleur is trying to get the jump on the next trend where big and powerful guys will be taking advantage of all that wide open space and smashing all those smaller guys to pieces. The Titans, the Ravens and to some extent the 49ers are all already doing this. That's fine, nothing wrong with that idea at all. The Packers won't be as pretty to watch as we're used to but its important we stay ahead of the curve in order to remain competitive.

But how we're going about that is questionable.

If we're going to run far more 2 WR sets which means there's fewer receivers for Rodgers to work with so we better damn make sure that the two receivers are damn good to overcome that problem. Same goes for TE. Ignoring the WRs is not going to help. 17 WRs already gone and a further undetermined amount gone by the time we reach our 5th round pick unless we trade up. That is absolutely shocking.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Gute and LaFleur is trying to get the jump on the next trend where big and powerful guys will be taking advantage of all that wide open space and smashing all those smaller guys to pieces. The Titans, the Ravens and to some extent the 49ers are all already doing this. That's fine, nothing wrong with that idea at all.

If this premise does in fact hold water and these are the organizations practicing (or heading) in its direction - I'd say its a parade worth marching in then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t think  we have the information to make that statement . 

In what world does a 6'2 TE that runs a 4.7 is worth a 3rd round pick? especially one that is projected to be a FB. A position which will see very few carries and catches compared to a pure TEs and RBs. Every single year these type of guys are normally drafted in the 5th 6th 7th rounds. What makes him so special to be worth a 3rd rounder?

• Like 3

Definitely the most the most hated draft among our fanbase i can remember. But to all those hating, just remember the evaluation of a draft class cant be done in a meaningful way until a few years down the road. Our FO and coaching staff are definitely shooting their shot here, lets see what they do with it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

In what world does a 6'2 TE that runs a 4.7 is worth a 3rd round pick? especially one that is projected to be a FB. A position which will see very few carries and catches compared to a pure TEs and RBs. Every single year these type of guys are normally drafted in the 5th 6th 7th rounds. What makes him so special to be worth a 3rd rounder?

Sounds like a panic move.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Can’t tell ya. I know these guys have more information than us and believed if we wanted him we’d have to take him there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

In what world does a 6'2 TE that runs a 4.7 is worth a 3rd round pick?

Perhaps:

1. They liked the player. His projected role in the offense and how he'd mesh with current TE talents.
2. Realized they didnt have a selection in Round 4.
3. Wouldn't be selecting until pick 30 in Round 5.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

In what world does a 6'2 TE that runs a 4.7 is worth a 3rd round pick

I made this inquiry repeatedly in the Degaura thread last evening and the most coherent response I got back, at least in my view, was that he is not really a TE but will be the versatile H-Back that Vitale was supposed to be last season.

There is just no way a guy with Degaura's lack of measurables (size and speed) can realistically be projected to play TE in the NFL, but H-Back makes sense.

Now, whether spending a 3rd round pick on an H-Back is good draft value ...

Edited by TheOnlyThing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I made this inquiry repeatedly in the Degaura thread last evening and the most coherent response I got back, at least in my view, was that he is not really a TE but will be the versatile H-Back that Vitale was supposed to be last season.

There is just no way a guy with Degaura's lack of measurables (size and speed) can realistically be projected to play TE in the NFL, but H-Back makes sense.

Now, whether spending a 3rd round pick on an H-Back is good draft value ...

For what it's worth the pats drafted Keene in the 3rs who could play a similar role. Couple inches taller (6'4"), similar measurables (Keene with a better broad). Not that the Pats are flaweless drafters, but you tend to think they're a well run org. Maybe it's a new NFL trend?

I've just looked at the trade chart and if we pair a 5th and our first 6th rounder we will barely have just enough to jump to the bottom end of the 4th round. We can jump 30 places by doing so. I think its worth it if we can get a good WR.

Of course that would means we will not draft in the 5th round. We would still have two 6th round picks and two 7th round picks to play with. I would pull the trigger to jump into the 4th if we can.

Edited by Chili

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I've just looked at the trade chart and if we pair a 5th and our first 6th rounder we will barely have just enough to jump to the bottom end of the 4th round. We can jump 30 places by doing so. I think its worth it if we can get a good WR.

Of course that would means we will not draft in the 5th round. We would still have two 6th round picks and two 7th round picks to play with. I would pull the trigger to jump into the 4th if we can.

Would you trade up to snag one of these guys?

Zach Kruse -  Three WRs in PFF’s top 75 players are still available:

Tyler Johnson
Jauan Jennings
KJ Hill