The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh it was necessary 

carr imo couldn’t handle a qb like cam 

it was almost Mariota or draft a qb

mariota isn’t as much of a threat to take carrs job like cam who is more established in the nfl. Winston didn’t seem like a good fit here imo and dalton is done imo.

Agreed. Cam is an alpha male personality who takes over the locker room. Carr wouldnt be able to handle that. Instead we signed the Hawaiian Tim Tebow to make DC feel more comfortable, i guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

can we talk about how awful Mariota's contract is given what we've seen Winston and Dalton sign for (or that Cam is still a free agent)

Winston supposedly turned down more money from other teams to be able to learn from Brees/Payton. Dalton was cut after the draft and is on the down end of his career. I've read that Cam Newton wants to sign somewhere that he'll have a legit chance at the starting job. 

Mayock and Gruden were both very high on Mariota during the pre-draft process and likely still see him as a starting level QB. His salary is pretty high for a backup but it's essentially a one year deal so its a nice insurance policy to have. 

10 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Agreed. 

Lowkey Mariota was our worst FA signing.

Meh. Mariota isn't a great player but he's a very high end backup. If Carr misses time Mariota should at least keep our offensive competitive unlike past backup QB's like Mike Glennon and Matt McGloin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. Mariota isn't a great player but he's a very high end backup. If Carr misses time Mariota should at least keep our offensive competitive unlike past backup QB's like Mike Glennon and Matt McGloin. 

I really struggle to name one positive trait about Mariota. He's not even that mobile anymore since he got hurt. Meh I'm not a fan, never been one. Very underwhelming backup.

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m really curious if we will pull carr and use Bowden as a qb in the redzone.

Lol I doubt it. If anything, we'd replace Carr with Mariota in the redzone. Doesn't MM have some all time great stats in the redzone. He's good in the redzone but cheeks everywhere else.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

20 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Lol I doubt it. If anything, we'd replace Carr with Mariota in the redzone. Doesn't MM have some all time great stats in the redzone. He's good in the redzone but cheeks everywhere else.

Bowden is more dynamic than mm imo but I see your point

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can't we get out of it super easy next year? Essentially is a one-year deal but if he balls out there's a lot of incentives?

in that "best case scenario" we paid 7.5 million for a backup QB. that kind of money could have been the difference between landing and losing, say, byron jones (or any other FA of choice)

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Winston supposedly turned down more money from other teams to be able to learn from Brees/Payton. Dalton was cut after the draft and is on the down end of his career. I've read that Cam Newton wants to sign somewhere that he'll have a legit chance at the starting job. 

Mayock and Gruden were both very high on Mariota during the pre-draft process and likely still see him as a starting level QB. His salary is pretty high for a backup but it's essentially a one year deal so its a nice insurance policy to have. 

7.5 mil guaranteed for the first year is very high. i dont know if winston would have turned down something of that amount. i'm not even saying winston is definitively better than mariota (i think he is), but i'd certainly rather have winston at, say 5 mil over mariota at 7.5

29 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

in that "best case scenario" we paid 7.5 million for a backup QB. that kind of money could have been the difference between landing and losing, say, byron jones (or any other FA of choice)

Yeah but say we added that to get Byron Jones, then we have no Littleton or Kwit among others.

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Agreed. 

Lowkey Mariota was our worst FA signing.

I don't like Mariota's game but I will say a quality backup QB with years of starting experience is an underrated asset.  You do realize if we had had a traditional backup (Glennon, McGloin, Manuel) and Carr goes down our season is absolutely finished.  At least with a guy like Mariota there will be optimism and a chance he could lead us to a win, with guys like Manuel it was over a 90 percent chance of a loss considering how terrible he is and how bad his supporting cast was.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't like Mariota's game but I will say a quality backup QB with years of starting experience is an underrated asset.  You do realize if we had had a traditional backup (Glennon, McGloin, Manuel) and Carr goes down our season is absolutely finished.  At least with a guy like Mariota there will be optimism and a chance he could lead us to a win, with guys like Manuel it was over a 90 percent chance of a loss considering how terrible he is and how bad his supporting cast was.   

Mariotas last full season starting he had like 13 TDs to 15 Ints, which is very EJ Manuel-ish or worse.

Really only had one decent season in his career. Gets hurt every year. Just like Carr, ever since he got hurt he is a different player. He hasn't proven to be a good player yet.

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah but say we added that to get Byron Jones, then we have no Littleton or Kwit among others.

a) corner is more valuable than linebacker
b) more room could have been created by moving or cutting gabe if they really wanted both (that's how we were still in the Chris Harris sweepstakes after the littleton deal)

Edited by Turnobili