The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, Geezy said:

its like you dont realize football is a team sport. You always bash Carr, yet you give the defense whose consistently amongst the leagues worst a pass. I dont get it. 

The whole team has changed except carr since carr was drafted including the defense. Carr is literally the only one who got a pass. 

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's great for fantasy football. 

But if Carr tosses 20 picks last year, regardless of TDs and yards, we almost assuredly finish worse than 8-8 considering how many 1 score games we were in or could've been in. 

Adding 8 TDs but more than doubling the number of interceptions thrown does nothing for the team in reality, and would certainly not have a positive impact on our defense as was, or, as is. 

In 2015 Blake Bortles was a top five fantasy quarterback. Here were his stats 

cmp 58.6

Yards 4,428

Tds 35

Int 18

Pr 88.2

they went 5-11 that year.  but at least he doesn’t throw check downs

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The whole team has changed except carr since carr was drafted including the defense. Carr is literally the only one who got a pass. 

An entire team changing in 7 years, is something that rarely happens in the NFL. Weve done it twice in Carrs career lol
That is ridiculous amount of turnover. 

I think you know this, but, having units gel / that have been together a while in the NFL is a huge plus. 
on top of that coaching longevity is a huge plus. 

I also dont know why you think Carr got a pass?
We have brought in competition throughout his time here, including spending the most on a backup last year.

Carr beat out Mariota last year - - How is that a pass?

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We had multiple games that the offense was way worse than the defense.  How about they needed to try and pick up the slack by being more aggressive.   Like I said if you know you are going to give up 35 points you can not be satisfied with scoring 30.  It is not a hard concept.  You can be risk adverse if your defense is good but we did not have that luxury last year.  Once again MM is not a better QB than Carr but he is a better fit for the scheme because he will take chances.  Carr can change this but he has not shown it yet.

Or....you can be dissatisfied with giving up 35. 

If you need more than 28 to win, you know what side didn't do it's job 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Lol looking back, I think a lot of the Carr hate stems from how much some people on this forum loved Matt McGloin hahahah.

Wish I was joking, but I actually think some are rattled Carr took his job lol

Yeah, gotta be that he's not ginger-y enough. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The whole team has changed except carr since carr was drafted including the defense. Carr is literally the only one who showed enough skill to even bother keeping around from those walking Michael Bay films of teams

FIFY

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The defense hemorrhaged points and blew leads left and right, and the offense needed to pick up the slack? What are we, the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos on offense? 🤦🏼‍♂️

I mean, don't get me wrong, we ALL hated the playcalling at times, but good grief. Just a bad take. Sustaining pace to get the points we would've needed to win as many games as the offense had us in position to despite the defense's deficiencies would've required us to be one of the most prolific offenses of all time. 

It's a terrible take on so many levels.  With having such a terrible D, turnovers are death sentences.

Most fans have zero clue how negatively a bad D can affect an O.  Playing catch up, which we have been doing the majority of Carrs career, limits play calling.  Once the run game gets abandoned, the D knows that we are having to pass to catch up, they send the heat and our O becomes one dimensional with no threat of the run.  

Or red zone woes has more to do with personnel than anything else.  Outside of Waller who did we have that was a RZ threat last year?  One can argue Jacobs but he was only effective at the goal line.  Focus on Waller and no one else we have can win unless we are 3 yards or under.  Playing the Raiders in the RZ is a D coordinators dream as we have no threats down there.  Shut down Waller and they will falter more times than not and that is exactly what happened.   

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

In 2015 Blake Bortles was a top five fantasy quarterback. Here were his stats 

cmp 58.6

Yards 4,428

Tds 35

Int 18

Pr 88.2

they went 5-11 that year.  but at least he doesn’t throw check downs

The yards argument is also a bad one. Carr missed a half so he likely would have been closer to 4200-4250 and he also literally was tied for 5th in yards in attempt with Josh Allen, .2 behind Mahomes. We just didn't throw as much as some other teams. He could hit 4500 yards easy if we just threw the ball more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Lol looking back, I think a lot of the Carr hate stems from how much some people on this forum loved Matt McGloin hahahah.

Wish I was joking, but I actually think some are rattled Carr took his job lol

that feels like a lifetime ago

• Like 1

I think the fans that don't like DC are the ones that want him to be like a rock star and do all kinds of late night partying and then show up and just throw 40 yard bombs all game long.  Even when we're supposed to be running the ball at the 1 yard line, just have him chuck it into the stands and then run to the sideline and snort some white powdery substance off of a woman of the nights behind.  I'm only saying it this way because I don't want to be banned from this forum lol.

I like DC, his below-average sized hands be damned.  He's the best we've had in like 13 years (other than maybe Jason Campbell).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think the fans that don't like DC are the ones that want him to be like a rock star and do all kinds of late night partying and then show up and just throw 40 yard bombs all game long.  Even when we're supposed to be running the ball at the 1 yard line, just have him chuck it into the stands and then run to the sideline and snort some white powdery substance off of a woman of the nights behind.  I'm only saying it this way because I don't want to be banned from this forum lol.

I like DC, his below-average sized hands be damned.  He's the best we've had in like 13 years (other than maybe Jason Campbell).

Campbell was the definition of game manager. People want a Jake Paul/Conor Mcgregor type at QB...lol I guess that's what is popular right now 

7 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I actually think when you D is bad, you have to be more risk adverse. 

As a team, when we gave the ball away we rarely recovered from it.
NE - -2
Buff -2
TB -1
Atl -4
Indy -1
Mia - 1
Den -4 (only game we won with a negative turnover ratios)

-
We were 4-1 with an even ratio
We were 3-0 with a plus ratio
We were 1-7 with a minus ratio

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders-team-game-log?season=2020&category=TURNOVERS&seasonType=1
- -
When your D doesnt force turnovers, YOU CANNOT afford to turn the ball over. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-takeaways-from-defense-2020

We had 15 forced turnovers on the years. 8 of which came between the first Den Game and the Jets came. 
That means 7 turnovers in the other 14 games that year. 
-

This to me shows we could at most afford 1 turnover a game, AT MOST.

That does let you play risky football. 
That dictates a game plan for an O

I agree with this and I have been sounding the alarm bells on TO differential since 2016 and everyone was saying we were finally contenders.  +16 in TOs leads to a lot of wins.  With that said if your defense is giving up TDs and you are kicking FGs you know you are going to lose.  If your offense is going TD for TD with the other team then of course you do not increase your chances for TOs.  You have to be able to tell when a team is starting to pull away and adapt.  Just like how you can get to a point in the game where you need to go for it on 4th down because you lose no matter what if you kick a FG.  If Carr increases his INTs because he is more aggressive and learns how to take care of the ball it would benefit the team because his positive passing stats will improve also.  I have also said the defense needs to be more opportunistic also so I am not putting this all on Carr's shoulders.

As far as only 1 TO a game Carr averaged over 1 TO a game by himself.  Wentz had the most TOs last year with 19 and Carr was 4th with 17.  A lot of people want to jump on the defense but the offense had 26 giveaways.  Only 2 teams would have had a positive TO differential with our offense and those would have been +1 and +3.  Carr himself had as many or more TOs then 8 teams.  Half the league had 20 or less giveaways and we had 17 from a very conservative QB.  I can except TOs if you are being aggressive but not when you are a QB that is known for playing it safe.