The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Competition lol

who

mcgroin, cook, mm was still hurt until chargers game, who else peterman, glennon am I missing anyone. 

I guess what changed this season in your mind to determine that MM was no longer competition lol?
You were talking here about how in 2019, DC wouldve been pulled for MM.

It didnt happen once in 2020. . . and now MM is a joke of competition? I thought you were impressed with his one game played? Is that not true?

It also appears most people who dont like Carr, believed MM would start at least a few games last year. Never happened because Carr wasnt the issue. 

• Like 1

Kinda cool of Carr saying that he only wants to play for the Raiders and likely retire before playing somewhere else.  I love hearing players that truly want to be Raiders...

However, the pessimist in me immediately thought "Damn, he torpedoed any trade value he might have had."  No-one is going to want to trade for a QB who is at risk of retiring instead of playing for them lol.

Edited by 101Raider

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They were top 10 in scoring and nearly top 5 in points per drive. Not to mention we had bad starting field position and were near the bottom of the league in turnovers. We had 7 defensive turnovers in 14 games. That's beyond bad. The only saving graces were the 1st broncos game and the jets game.

I think the defense had some poor field position also from the offense giving the ball away.  Once again I am not saying the defense was good or even respectable.  We had a bad defense that did not help anyone except for a few games.  There were more than 2 games that the defense played well in however.  It is good that we were top ten in scoring top 5 in yards per drive but they should have been better based upon red zone efficiency.  Us being ranked 23rd in red-zone TD percentage is not me saying the offense was the reason we lost.  A better percentage their could increase the chances for a W but so would the defense get a couple turnovers.  Also everyone on this board needs to realize that if you point out an area where someone or something needs to improve is not the same as saying that is the reason we lost.  If everyone wants to we should go game by game and point out where we think the team needed to improve.  A different thread for every game.  We would all probably get a better idea that some weeks parts of the offense caused a loss or win and most weeks it was the defense that should have done more.  A more in-depth game by game breakdown would probably show a young defense with a bad DC leading to a horrible defense.  Combined with a conservative offense with a coach that ignored game situations to play it safe.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think the defense had some poor field position also from the offense giving the ball away.  Once again I am not saying the defense was good or even respectable.  We had a bad defense that did not help anyone except for a few games.  There were more than 2 games that the defense played well in however.  It is good that we were top ten in scoring top 5 in yards per drive but they should have been better based upon red zone efficiency.  Us being ranked 23rd in red-zone TD percentage is not me saying the offense was the reason we lost.  A better percentage their could increase the chances for a W but so would the defense get a couple turnovers.  Also everyone on this board needs to realize that if you point out an area where someone or something needs to improve is not the same as saying that is the reason we lost.  If everyone wants to we should go game by game and point out where we think the team needed to improve.  A different thread for every game.  We would all probably get a better idea that some weeks parts of the offense caused a loss or win and most weeks it was the defense that should have done more.  A more in-depth game by game breakdown would probably show a young defense with a bad DC leading to a horrible defense.  Combined with a conservative offense with a coach that ignored game situations to play it safe.  

This would be awesome to see. 
Ive broken down the ATL first half a few times, and obviously Carrs fumbles / and Pick 6 were awful. (the pick 6 essentially sealed it) but the D actually played well the first half. 
Penalties were our biggest killer that first half. Our D actually held when the O turned the ball over. 

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

100% we should have been better. I do agree RZ execution was terrible. But if we play similar offense this year (I think we can improve) and better defense, we should definitely have a winning record and push for a wild card at the very least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I guess what changed this season in your mind to determine that MM was no longer competition lol?
You were talking here about how in 2019, DC wouldve been pulled for MM.

It didnt happen once in 2020. . . and now MM is a joke of competition? I thought you were impressed with his one game played? Is that not true?

It also appears most people who dont like Carr, believed MM would start at least a few games last year. Never happened because Carr wasnt the issue. 

Mm is the best competition carr has ever had and they chose him because he’s a “nice guy” that won’t intimidate carr. Mm has actually successfully won a playoff game iirc. I still believe mm if given a fair shot would take Carr’s job. Especially now that he’s healthy. If everything was fair after the atl game mm would’ve got a shot imo. 

18 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Mm is the best competition carr has ever had and they chose him because he’s a “nice guy” that won’t intimidate carr. Mm has actually successfully won a playoff game iirc. I still believe mm if given a fair shot would take Carr’s job. Especially now that he’s healthy. If everything was fair after the atl game mm would’ve got a shot imo. 

Truthfully, Saying Carr deserved to be benched after going 6-5 through the toughest schedule in the NFL, where we allowed 29 PPG against, shows me enough to probably just drop it. You simply just want a new qb. Thats fine. 

Did our staff give Marcus Mariota 30+ mil because hes a nice guy too lol, come on, do you really believe thats why the signed him. I truly hope you know, they thought MM was the best option to compete against Carr. 

Bringing it back to the bold, So you believe if all things were fair MM wouldve taken Carrs job.
You literally just posted'
"competition lol, who"

You are riding both sides of the fence here, saying MM is a better QB then carr and would take his job if things are fair, and also saying weve never brought in competition lol.
Which one is it?

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

This would be awesome to see. 
Ive broken down the ATL first half a few times, and obviously Carrs fumbles / and Pick 6 were awful. (the pick 6 essentially sealed it) but the D actually played well the first half. 
Penalties were our biggest killer that first half. Our D actually held when the O turned the ball over. 

This is one of the games the defense showed up and the offense let us down.  I understand that it is going to happen sometimes but to not show up against the Falcons was bad.  The Falcons pass D ended up being the worst in the league as far as yards given up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

100% we should have been better. I do agree RZ execution was terrible. But if we play similar offense this year (I think we can improve) and better defense, we should definitely have a winning record and push for a wild card at the very least.

I agree.  I saw Guenther as the biggest issue on our bad defense which was the biggest issue of our team.  Not going to act like I know a lot about Bradley but I would think it would be hard to not improve upon what Guenther did last year.  I also like the 4-3 under scheme.  I got my fingers crossed that we have the right personnel and a good coach to run it.

20 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

This is one of the games the defense showed up and the offense let us down.  I understand that it is going to happen sometimes but to not show up against the Falcons was bad.  The Falcons pass D ended up being the worst in the league as far as yards given up.  

For sure the D did play well. And they couldve / shouldve done even better. 
A missed FG, turned into a TD because we roughed the kicker.
A stop on 3rd and 6 was turned into points because of a DPI
Us on 1st and goal from the 3, took two brutal penalties back to back to make it first and goal from 23.

All of that in first half. 
16-3 at half time, and without stupid penalties very easily couldve been 9-7 atl or 7-6 us. LOL
Our D def bailed the O out in the first half, and we had chances and just gave them away. 

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 1

I remember when we were getting ready to play the Jets, they talked about how Sam Darnold hadn't thrown a touchdown in like 2-3 weeks, then he threw 2-3 against us.  I'll start blaming the offense more than the defense when we can actually do what the rest of the NFL does and shutdown garbage offenses.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree.  I saw Guenther as the biggest issue on our bad defense which was the biggest issue of our team.  Not going to act like I know a lot about Bradley but I would think it would be hard to not improve upon what Guenther did last year.  I also like the 4-3 under scheme.  I got my fingers crossed that we have the right personnel and a good coach to run it.

I think adding Ngakoue will be big, as it'll allow Ferrell to move around and not be typecast into a "speed rush"/wide-9 kind of role.

Plus I think we have a player with the talent to actual play deep safety in Moehrig. DT and FS are the 2 most impactful positions in this style of defense IMO. DT is still questionable, but Philon and Jefferson have played at a high level before and Ferrell will rush some inside.

Abram is also somewhat a wild card, but Joseph is a solid starter worst case.

CB should be improved, as even if Hayward is washed (to be determined), he has the composure and smarts to be a decent starter at bare minimum. Lawson is a fine slot corner (worst case) and I'm confident one of Arnette/Johnson/Robertson will make a jump.

All in all, I'm not expecting a world beating defense but we can make a push to be closer to 16 than 32. If we do that, I'll be happy.

• Like 2