The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Us not drafting well?
Us having a terrible D?
Derek Carr having a legit MVP caliber season?
😆😆😆

Sure buddy sure lol whatever you say and that’s sarcasm just in case you didn’t know

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

So Mariota missed what 12 games from a strained pec injury?
Derek Carr broke a bone in his back missed 1 game, and people call him soft. 

What the hell is MM if a strained pec causes you to miss 12 weeks, if Derek Carr is soft for missing 1 with a broken bone lol
-
I dont think the injury was nearly as bad as it was made to seem. 

The last statement i actually agree with I think the mm signing was just a smoke show to light a fire under dc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Watson won a SB? when did I miss that? Lol! 

I was referring to Brady, Wilson, and Rodgers. Watson is an entirely different case because the team has done a horrible job of building around him and has probably the most dysfunctional front office in professional sports. 

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The last statement i actually agree with I think the mm signing was just a smoke show to light a fire under dc. 

I think it was to light a fire under Carr and to also have a legitimate backup so in the scenario that Carr got hurt we'd still have a chance to be competitive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Mariota did play really well, his int was bad, and IIRC he threw another ball that shouldve been picked, but outside of that for coming in he did amazing. 
I really wanted to see him the next week against the dolphins? (could be wrong there)

its tough to come in off the bench, and MM did really well, but also the chargers werent game planning for mariota. I wanted to see him up against a team ready for him

4 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I think a lot of fans wanted to see Mariota as well. IMO we would of seen the same flaws but the wow stuff as well scrambling and improvising.

I'd love to see some Taysom Hill style packages incorporated into the offense this year. RPO with Mariota, Drake, and Jacobs in the backfield together would be fire. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was referring to Brady, Wilson, and Rodgers. Watson is an entirely different case because the team has done a horrible job of building around him and has probably the most dysfunctional front office in professional sports. 

Brady never forced a trade, and I do agree about Houston’s decision making. Just having some fun man. This GD constant debate/hate/ lovefest/ whatever someone wants to call is older than dinosaur sh$t to be honest. It intrudes on every flipping thread ( intentionally or not), the only reason I even read this thread Monday is because I noticed the page count went waaay up over last weekend. Morbid fascination I guess. Lmao! For the record , I’ve always liked MM too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Brady never forced a trade, and I do agree about Houston’s decision making. Just having some fun man. This GD constant debate/hate/ lovefest/ whatever someone wants to call is older than dinosaur sh$t to be honest. It intrudes on every flipping thread ( intentionally or not), the only reason I even read this thread Monday is because I noticed the page count went waaay up over last weekend. Morbid fascination I guess. Lmao! For the record , I’ve always liked MM too. 

He didn't force a trade but him and BB definitely had beef because Brady wanted better skill position players and BB wouldn't do it. I also think he was ready to bounce because BB wanted to keep Jimmy G over him a few years back. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'd love to see some Taysom Hill style packages incorporated into the offense this year. RPO with Mariota, Drake, and Jacobs in the backfield together would be fire. 

Especially if the RZ woes continue how could you not 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Especially if the RZ woes continue how could you not 

I don't think Gruden/Olson are the most creative/innovative duo. Olson's offenses, other then last season, have usually been below league average to terrible. 

22 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we may try and trade for a DT, like one of Washington's or Minnesota's (they have 3 good ones now) at some point during the season for a pick+player (in Washington's case, maybe Mariota).

If we can do a player for player trade I would be happy.  I would not be a fan of using high draft picks because we should be able to find starter caliber DTs in the first few rounds.  The draft is not a sure thing but neither is trading for players.  Of course this depends on the talent level also.

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mariota played well against the Chargers but his interception at the end killed us.

I will give him a pass on that.  I was really impressive after having thrown 1 pass since week 6 2019.  He came in and looked more natural in the scheme then Carr had in almost 3 years.  Once again not saying he is a better QB but a better fit for Gruden.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I will give him a pass on that.  I was really impressive after having thrown 1 pass since week 6 2019.  He came in and looked more natural in the scheme then Carr had in almost 3 years.  Once again not saying he is a better QB but a better fit for Gruden.

Mariota's ability to scramble and operate in RPO's definitely made a huge difference. I also think it was a major curve ball for the Chargers defense because they weren't preparing for any of that.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mariota's ability to scramble and operate in RPO's definitely made a huge difference. I also think it was a major curve ball for the Chargers defense because they weren't preparing for any of that.

That was my biggest question mark after his performance.  Also another why he should have been playing the last couple games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

You guys crack me up.  Based on 1 game MM is a, "more natural fit" for Gurden's O?  That is laughable. 

Instead of looking at one game (where he threw a back breaking INT in the 4thQ), how about looking at MM's last three seasons in Ten where he was a noodle armed bum that was clearly holding a playoff team back.  The guy was flat out garbage LOL  

He was clearly available this offseason for trade and nothing.  He's so great he took a massive pay (11 million to 3.5) to stay here as a backup.  If he didn't take the massive pay cut he most likely would have been released.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

43 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You guys crack me up.  Based on 1 game MM is a, "more natural fit" for Gurden's O?  That is laughable. 

Instead of looking at one game (where he threw a back breaking INT in the 4thQ), how about looking at MM's last three seasons in Ten where he was a noodle armed bum that was clearly holding a playoff team back.  The guy was flat out garbage LOL  

He was clearly available this offseason for trade and nothing.  He's so great he took a massive pay (11 million to 3.5) to stay here as a backup.  If he didn't take the massive pay cut he most likely would have been released.  

Frankie you do not need to see a player for an entire season to know if they are a good scheme or style fit.  Just like certain RB and linemen are good fits for certain types of schemes.  We knew MM was more aggressive with the ball in his hands and he was able to extend plays when they broke down in ways Carr does not.  Carr cuts his loses quickly and comes back for the next play.  Sometimes that is a good thing but if you do it to much you can stall the offense.  Just the same way that every time MM extends plays beyond what Carr does you increase the risk for negative plays and TOs.  I did not say he was a better QB just that I think Carr is not the ideal QB for Gruden.  If Carr was more decisive with the ball in his hands and had better ball security he would be a good fit.  I am not saying Carr needs to be Wilson, Jackson, or Allen but Carr had 140 rushing yards in 15.25 games and Mariota had 88 yards in .75.  This does not make MM better but it opened things up for the offense and the Chargers defense was on its heels.