The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I am basing it off of how MM's physical ability allowed him to run aspects of this offense the way it is suppose to.  There were multiple plays where you could see his physical ability put the team in a better position to succeed.  Now this does not mean that over a season or even a few games he would find more success.  Think of it like a math problem.  These will be arbitrary numbers but I hope you get the point.  Let's say the maximum score a player can have is 100.

Carr's ceiling is a 90

MM's ceiling is a 70

To figure out a schemes effect you have a factor that represents the a QB's ability to function within a specific scheme.  So if they player is a perfect fit the factor would be 1.  Multiply the numbers and Carr is still a 90.  In Gruden's system Carr has a factor of .8 and MM has a score of .9.  Ceilings are now:

Carr - 90*.8= 72

MM - 70*.9= 63

So Carr has a higher generalized talent level but a lower fit.  

MM has a lower generalized talent level but a higher fit.

The outcome is still Carr being a better QB and better choice but MM is still a better fit.  If MM was ranked as an 80 or higher he would be a better choice at QB for the team.  I hope that makes it a little more clear but quantifying it makes it a little to much like Madden.  I was trying to stay away from that.

I guess we can agree to disagree.  This is clearly your opinion and not based on facts suchs as a 10/8 TD/INT ratio over MM's last 3 years in Ten. I also feel you're pulling these numbers out of thin air, which makes zero sense.  What give MM a.9 and Carr a .8?

In no world is MM a better fit for what Gruden does other than the fact he has more mobility.  In your opinion is there anything else MM does better than Carr outside of being more mobile to give him greater upside as a QB?  

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd say it was a wash, myself. 

It was indeed probably a good thing we traded him. At the same time, we spent a 3rd rounder on him just months beforehand, and he actually produced a bit for Miami.

Try as I might, I can't give Mayock credit for anything Bowden related.

Trevor Davis was a close #2 

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I guess we can agree to disagree.  This is clearly your opinion and not based on facts suchs as a 10/8 TD/INT ratio over MM's last 3 years in Ten. I also feel you're pulling these numbers out of thin air, which makes zero sense.  What give MM a.9 and Carr a .8?

In no world is MM a better fit for what Gruden does other than the fact he has more mobility.  In your opinion is there anything else MM does better than Carr outside of being more mobile to give him greater upside as a QB?  

In 2019 with Mariota the Titans started 2-4 and were averaging 16.3 ppg, if you take away their 1 crazy game week 1, they averaged 11 ppg and were 1-4. Tannehill took over and they went 7-3 and averaged 30.4 ppg.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In 2019 with Mariota the Titans started 2-4 and were averaging 16.3 ppg, if you take away their 1 crazy game week 1, they averaged 11 ppg and were 1-4. Tannehill took over and they went 7-3 and averaged 30.4 ppg.

Exactly.  Case and point.  MM is straight up trash.

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's a solid backup but if he's your starter you definitely have an issue. 

I agree.  He has starting experience, can hold down the fort for a few games and may actually win one but if he has to start for any extended period of time, that is not good. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I said the numbers are arbitrary.  based on whim or personal preference, without reason or pattern.  Just used random numbers that would mathematically show my point that the style of QB MM is would be better than Carr's style but Carr being a much better QB makes him the better choice for the team to succeed.  Carr is a very gifted QB but not all gifts are the same.  If Carr was willing to take off more, I say this because he has the ability but not the will, and not let getting hit rattle him so easily this offense could go to new heights.  Another red-zone target and better run blocking would be great also.  If Bradley can figure out the defense we are contenders.  We are not contenders until Carr can sacrifice on the field and we get a better defense.  If either one is not fixed we can make it to the playoffs but will be gone week 1.

26 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree.  He has starting experience, can hold down the fort for a few games and may actually win one but if he has to start for any extended period of time, that is not good. 

Just about any back up starting for an extended period of time is not good.  MM is a top 3 backup in the league but a bottom ten starter based on his time in Tenn.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don't think MM it's trash it's just that DC is obviously better and it's not close

As a starter he is trash and was vastly overpaid last season.  This season is more palatable at 3 million but if he has to see the field we are in trouble.  I'm fine with him as a $3 million backup. 

Care to explain why he was so terrible his last three seasons in Ten?  Please don't have injuries as an excuse because there is no way the Titans front office was trotting out an injured QB three years in a row. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

As a starter he is trash and was vastly overpaid last season.  This season is more palatable at 3 million but if he has to see the field we are in trouble.  

Care to explain why he was so terrible his last three seasons in Ten?  Please don't have injuries as an excuse because there is no way the Titans front office was trotting out an injured QB three years in a row. 

let me start by saying I never liked Marcus Mariota (even in college). I've always thought he was overrated. But that's not necessarily why he was bad in Tennessee. He was bad in Tennessee because they kept switching coordinators, and he didn't really have a supporting cast until the year he ironically got benched. 

What are than that though, I knew the style he played in the Pac 12 wasn't going to translate to the NFL(which IMO is the reason why he keeps getting hurt). All that stuff is exciting but that's not nfl quarterback. But yes, injuries were also a factor

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

let me start by saying I never liked Marcus Mariota (even in college). I've always thought he was overrated. But that's not necessarily why he was bad in Tennessee. He was bad in Tennessee because they kept switching coordinators, and he didn't really have a supporting cast until the year he ironically got benched. 

What are than that though, I knew the style he played in the Pac 12 wasn't going to translate to the NFL(which IMO is the reason why he keeps getting hurt). All that stuff is exciting but that's not nfl quarterback. But yes, injuries were also a factor

I agree that he had limited resources and turnover with coaches which is never a good thing but he averaged 17 TD's and 10 INTS over his 4 years as a starter.  That is flat out garbage as an NFL starting QB no matter what excuses you throw around.  The guy is a noodle armed bum....

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So would you say Tannehill could beat out Carr on this team?

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yep. 

Not saying he's great, but it's not like he had much of a chance in Tennessee. Classic case of someone needing a change of scenery. 

I think he can be an NFL starter, albeit an average one, in the right offense and situation. But the fact remains, he has not yet. 

• Like 1